Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 05:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aurora 2018 for Windows - alignment and deghosting tests

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Sep 30, 2017 05:56 |  #1

Virtually all my bracketed sets are hand held so any HDR app I use must have good image alignment as well as de-ghosting. Here is my test of these features after only 1 day of painless familiarisation! I have also included comparisons with other HDR processors that

I use. I do not have Lightroom and would be grateful if someone would merge my files to HDR with LR for me and post the result(s) in this thread. Here is the Mediafire link (external link) for you. Just click on the green download button to obtain 3 DNG files in a folder.

Aurora - Realistic Balanced preset, medium deghosting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

easyHDR - Default preset, automatic deghosting
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

nik Efex HDR 2 - Balanced preset, auto deghosting set to 40

IMAGE: http://i.cubeupload.com/e7Abf8.jpg

Photomatix 6 - Tone Balancer method, auto deghosting set to 15

IMAGE: http://i.cubeupload.com/IOqfX2.jpg

My conclusion is that Aurora passed my alignment and deghosting test but too almost twice as long to achieve it than the other 3 processors. This may be becuase it is only a 32bit app -?

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Picture North Carolina.
Sep 30, 2017 08:04 |  #2

Very nice test. Thanks for taking the time to create and post.

I think a common mistake people would make is to place all attention on the main subject - the orange leaves.

However, the background leaves alignment also tell a story.

Using the lower right quadrant, the background green leaves only: Photomatix 6 is horrible. Lots of double if not triple imaging. The clear looser.

Aurora and Easy HDR are both a little soft - beyond the DOF blur. Nik seem to be the winner here. But then the upper left background green of the Nik is poorly deghosted.

Hard to tell without being able to view at 100%, but the overall winner here seems to be Aurora. A tiny but oversaturated on the oranges (as was photomatix), but that is much more easily repaired than poor deghosting.

Thanks, Martin.

Website (external link) |

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Stiga.
Sep 30, 2017 08:34 |  #3

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18463320 (external link)
Very nice test. Thanks for taking the time to create and post.

I think a common mistake people would make is to place all attention on the main subject - the orange leaves.

However, the background leaves alignment also tell a story.

Using the lower right quadrant, the background green leaves only: Photomatix 6 is horrible. Lots of double if not triple imaging. The clear looser.

Aurora and Easy HDR are both a little soft - beyond the DOF blur. Nik seem to be the winner here. But then the upper left background green of the Nik is poorly deghosted.

Hard to tell without being able to view at 100%, but the overall winner here seems to be Aurora. A tiny but oversaturated on the oranges (as was photomatix), but that is much more easily repaired than poor deghosting.

Thanks, Martin.

Thanks for your positive feedback.

I should have added that I made no attempt to alter colors, saturation or contrast. Apart from further denoising and resisizing, they are as straight out of the processor. The Photomatix version could have been improved by increasing the deghosting level from 15 to 20 or 25. All I concentrated on was the orange leaves as the background leaves are all well out of focus.

Martin

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by Bianchi. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2017 10:07 |  #4

Thanks for taking the time to create this test Martin.. Why didn't you also include SNS-HDR, I thought you like that one very much.

My Gear flickrexternal link

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Oct 21, 2017 10:47 |  #5

Bianchi wrote in post #18477512 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time to create this test Martin.. Why didn't you also include SNS-HDR, I thought you like that one very much.

Because SNS-HDR cannoty deghost -? Sometimes I deghost a scene like this with Photomatix or easyHDR, save the 32bit radiance file and tonemap that with SNS-HDR but it is a bit long-winded.

You are right, I do like SNS-HDR; IMO it generates the best blue and green hues.

Thanks.

Martin

550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aurora 2018 for Windows - alignment and deghosting tests
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.