Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 13 Oct 2017 (Friday) 20:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need some career advice

Lifestylechoice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Kitchener, Canada
Oct 21, 2017 20:22 as a reply to post 18477644 |  #16

Thank You Jacob for that great read! Definitely I can see areas where I have to improve. Especially in terms of writing and selling my work. I am happy to say that I actually have taken business courses throughout my university career, and plan on taking more after graduating.

There is some advice that you talked about such as reaching out to magazines, agencies and newspapers that I have reached out to in my local area, and found some success in that.

I understand why it would take time to get the level that the big guys are doing it, and plus I have been focusing on this genre for only 1 summer so far, so I have a long way to go still.

Again thanks for the helpful tips! Time to get back to work!

ErikN
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Oct 22, 2017 12:12 |  #17

Lifestylechoice wrote in post #18477926 (external link)
There is some advice that you talked about such as reaching out to magazines, agencies and newspapers that I have reached out to in my local area, and found some success in that.

I was going to post a similar question in here, but you beat me to it! Good answers from other Canadians in here as well.

Similar situation. Been photographing vehicles (my own and friends) for 4-5 years now. The past 2 years have been very involved in the local (Calgary) car community with emphasis on instagram, branded shirts, car shows, photoshoot giveaways, cold calls (walk ups with business cards), etc.

Haven't landed a client yet, but have stooped low enough to offering 1 free shoot for exposure (a kick in the crotch and it didn't lead to more shoots, lol). Here, it's a very tough market, as guys are shooting for $100-$150 and my C.O.D.B. is way too high for the average car owner. (I use lighting and extensive composites, no one else here does. They just shoot a roller or two and 3-4 static natural light shots).

End goal is the same as yours - Photograph for magazines - Webb Bland, Dale Martin, Jeremy Cliff, Andrew Link.

Best advice I can give (as I am in the process of doing the same):

- Submit as much completed stuff as you can to automotive websites and magazines that accept submissions. Yeah, it devalues you and they get pictures for free, but once you are "published" on speedhunters or in a magazine, that's something you can add to your website, instagram or whatever to seem "higher end"
- Build an amazing portfolio book of your top images (a strong variety of different styles to show your skills are rounded) and ship it, with return postage, to different editors. Seeing your work in print, vs on screen may help? I just finished the Mike Kelley Architecture series, so that's where my mind is at, lol.
- Network. Ask questions. Send an email to Easton Chang if need be. He might respond. I really wish his photo video tutorial included more business information.

That's all I can give for advice, because I am in the same situation, kinda. Definitely going to gravitate away from trying to get clients for private shoots (it's just not working for me), and focus on the friends that I have with nice vehicles, to allow me to shoot theirs for free. Build a better portfolio, try to get individual photo shoots and vehicle writeups in local Canadian magazines and send the completed portfolio out to editors in the U.S.

http://www.eriknymanph​otography.com (external link)
Automotive | Commercial
Calgary, AB, Canada
Instagram: http://www.instagram.c​om/erik_nyman_photogra​phy (external link)

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 15:59 |  #18

@ErikN — great advice. (Followed you on Instagram as well, nice work).

The Canadian market is pretty thin in my experience. I have a great Motorsport facility in my area so I’ve got fairly easy access to potential clientele. It’s still a tough go. I’ve had some very limited success with credited work in Auto Trader and Canadian Driver online articles in the past. Corporate team building track days are lucrative but few and far between. Definitely not daily bread winning. I’ve turned down a few automotive release event opportunities because the pay offered was dismal and somewhat insulting. The individual car enthusiast won’t pay the bills for sure.

Overall I gave up pushing for paid work and just go out to shoot for my own enjoyment. I spend the time I used to spend looking for work shooting and developing my skills. Less disappointment to be had. Oddly, more opportunities presented themselves when I did that. And I’m having more fun.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

Lifestylechoice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Kitchener, Canada
Oct 23, 2017 10:19 as a reply to ErikN's post |  #19

Thanks for the advice!
Honestly I don't there ever was money in the private client shoots, unless you get to GF williams level, where you are doing a few each month, but not enough to pay the bills. I see the private shoots as stepping stones to get published, or moving towards a better portfolio. At least that is my perspective on it. I think it just take time to slowly move through the progression to get to commercial photography.

1,022 views & 17 likes for this thread
Need some career advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.