Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,904 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Oct 19, 2017 17:35 |  #151

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18476311 (external link)
Opinions never are. :)

I once knew a married couple that had a competent FF body to shoot various things around them for fun, and then due to the struggles of having to share the body all the time and the IQ just wasn't up to the latest offerings, one of the newest and pretty expensive FF model is added to the bag, along with a rebel to combat some physical discomfort of shooting the FF, so that each of them can shoot with whatever made them comfortable whenever they wanted to, along with alot of lenses, some that overlap with each other. There didn't seem like alot of need generated all those purchases, but I don't judge them, they seem to be able to afford it and it made them happy.

I don't mind people being 'rich'. Every now and again in my life I've been 99.5% there myself and I may/will be again. Onwards ... upwards.

But it offends me when people spend money just to have that latest thing. Dammit .... if I just could have my hands on all that lovely filthy lucre, I could show those people how to spend it really well. Every last cent of it would be pulped and squeezed beyond all possible recognition!

I don't mind it when rich people spend money on extra/special stuff. I'm just embarrassed for them when what they are buying is only new ... but otherwise conspicuously without merit.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
Scoobert
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 19, 2017 17:37 |  #152

DaviSto wrote in post #18476326 (external link)
I'm just embarrassed for them when what they are buying is only new ... but otherwise conspicuously without merit.

Like a 5Div?

DaviSto
1,904 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 6 months ago by DaviSto.

Oct 19, 2017 17:46 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #153

So you really want to hear the story about why I bought a 5Div seven (7) years after I bought my first digital ILC (5Dii) in 2009???

I'm advising you now that you actually don't. It will make you look foolish.

But ... ask me again ... then I'll tell you the story.

And ... back to your snyde remarks ... ... ...

David.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,405 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 19, 2017 18:14 |  #154

DaviSto wrote in post #18476336 (external link)
So you really want to hear the story about why I bought a 5Div seven (7) years after I bought my first digital ILC (5Dii) in 2009???

I'm advising you now that you actually don't. It will make you look foolish.

But ... ask me again ... then I'll tell you the story.

And ... back to your snyde remarks ... ... ...

does it really matter, it's an expensive and high end camera

Merit is an easy thing to rationalize.

New menu

looks cool

faster

large viewfinder

smaller/lighter

better AF

from one gen to the next gen, one of these features will ALWAYS exist, and therefore, someone can and will always be able to rationalize the merit of upgrading.

Consider 2009, the 5Dii was a fairly new camera, what merit did you have to justify that purchase?

rhetorical question

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

elitejp
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2017 18:35 |  #155

Its not a good thing to get offended at the way other people spend money.
In reality i shoot too infrequently to have all the camera equipment that i own. And i really shouldnt upgrade but if funds were available i would.
Even after i finish editing the pictures that i like i rarely look at them again. But having this equipment and having those pictures do offer me some enjoyment. If my money isnt used to do things that make me happy i really dont know what the point is then, and i spend/give alot of my money to family, loved ones and friends that just need a little help(and a certain place i go on sunday ). Some people might think that is wasteful seeing as i could quickly afford upgrading to a d850 or a new sony offering while switching to all native lenses if i just kept my money to myself. But that isnt the way i am.
Back on topic i think cyber rephrased the question really well. If the d850 was a canon which would you choose and i would easily choose the 850 over the 5d4. Later i will hopefully be able to choose a sony a7r3 over whatever canon feels like offering.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

DaviSto
1,904 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Oct 19, 2017 21:04 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #156

Got to agree, really ... the 5Div is way more camera than I really need. But, without it, I was really struggling to catch everything that is wonderful about a very unplanned but equally welcome new family addition.

I bought the 5Div for a reason ... because it met a specific need. I didn't buy it because it was 'new'.

Spend your money for a reason. Buying stuff just because it is new is plain stupid. I'm sorry this, somehow, upsets you.

David.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2017 22:08 |  #157

Davisto, it really really doesnt upset me.
I think you are taking "new " way too literally though. Maybe i should have written "new and better" instead.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

aladyforty
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Gallery: 359 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 19, 2017 23:18 |  #158

Charlie wrote in post #18475998 (external link)
it's a passion for me, I love photography and with that I'm passionate about my gear. I can correlate more gear with more shooting, and more happy with said shooting. I mean, I can shoot a 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 and call it a day.... but I wouldnt be totally happy about it :-)

photography is a hobby, and the learning process I go through from trying out gear was a big part of the learning process.

What I like is to find small and very high performing gear. They seem to be at odds for the most part, but I'm happy to find the exceptions. Big and heavy I dont enjoy.

I used to be that way, back when I had a better income, now Ive had to sell three lenses I never wanted to (All canon Ls) and it breaks my heart :cry: But Ive been very happy with the 5DIII, Id love a 1DXII to replace the 7DII but its never going to happen so I accept that. I love the small mirror-less gear these days, I wish I could afford something to partner my X100 as I am pretty impressed with Fuji. Thing is I'm not keen on the latest greatest because I use lightroom 5.7 almost exclusively and I am not upgrading that or going to the cloud. So any camera I get in the Fuji line must be RAW compatible with lightroom 5.7. It sounds contrary I know but its just the space Im in right now. I would really like to replace at least one of the lenses I sold 24-70L To be honest its the L lenses that have kept me with canon, I wish Id never sold my 100-400L for the tamron as well. I do sell my photography and earn small amounts doing family photoshoots but I think the gear I have does a great job anyway

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,643 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 21, 2017 01:24 |  #159

Well I'm back to report I went with Nikon.

Picked up a D850 and three Nikkor lenses to start.

Can't believe how much the Nikon has thrown my 'finger memory' out of whack. I bought my first SLR 35+ years ago, but this is the first time
I've ever even held a Nikon body.

Looking forward to getting to know the camera, well, let me say, more intimately!

I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

And I must admit, it feels weird to be a 'Ninkonpoop' after all these years of being a Canonite!!!!

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Some of my photos featured Bear Dale (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,751 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 21, 2017 03:02 |  #160

fotoworx wrote in post #18477345 (external link)

Can't believe how much the Nikon has thrown my 'finger memory' out of whack. I bought my first SLR 35+ years ago, but this is the first time

Looking forward to getting to know the camera, well, let me say, more intimately!

And I must admit, it feels weird to be a 'Ninkonpoop' after all these years of being a Canonite!!!!

just remember it's not the camera, it's the photo that you capture

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Oct 21, 2017 09:47 |  #161

out of interest, what were the lens choices and why?

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 23, 2017 07:28 |  #162

Personally I would go 5D4 and not because I have it now. That does not mean I look a little enviously at the 850s specs.

My reasons:

1) lenses are cheaper here in Australia. 20-30% cheaper. One thing Canon seems to do really well is make awesome lenses. Plus there are heaps of second hand ones.

2) I honestly find Canon ergonomics better. I have been using a 800e and it's just not as nice IMO. mainly the EC Dial. I know it sounds petty, but I live in AV and I use that dial all the time.

3) they just work. I place a high importance on function. Mine has not let me down in any capacity once. Shooting weddings now I find that the most important. I'm sure Nikons are fine, but I just stick with what works.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 23, 2017 09:33 |  #163

Good choice, congrats

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Oct 23, 2017 12:03 |  #164

Just saw Matt Granger's video with the D850 from Iceland - it seems the buffer, at least without the grip (and not sure this makes sense) is not producing anywhere near what Nikon is claiming - maybe he did something wrong - but he shows multiple tests of the buffer and it is not close to what they are suggesting. No hating here, just saw this and thought I would post it as I am seriously looking at this camera - and wondering if anyone who may have the camera can test it.

https://youtu.be/913B5​jvL5SA (external link)

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2017 22:52 |  #165

AlanU wrote in post #18471669 (external link)
I felt rather odd buying the 5dmk4 as the D850 hit the market.

Nikon just seems to push more tech in their camera's while Canon seems snail paced.

So snail paced ... that Sony is releasing a new camera incorporating technology that Canon already made available?

I view Canon as steady paced, and maybe the most steady paced among many companies.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

17,030 views & 219 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.