Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 19:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tripod for Macro?

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by Temma. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 22, 2017 11:33 |  #31

I went to the gun show yesterday, mostly looking for one guy who used to sell old lenses. Either he wasn't there or didn't bring any lenses (I think it was the latter).

So, having bought nothing, photography or gun related, and having nothing else to do before work, I remembered my need for something like a heavy cutting board for a base, and went to Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Lo and behold, they had quite a heavy cutting board of an appropriate size and thickness, and for $40 instead of $75.

I'll probably drill a hole for a threaded insert and move the furniture foot to it today.

Update:

The t-rails on which I mount my flashes are too long for the cutting board (18" long), so I took an extra 24" rail and cut it in half.

I still have to mount the 5/16" threaded insert.

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Oct 23, 2017 12:25 |  #32

I have everything back together this morning.

Last night I used an online reference for what size drill to use to use to make the hole for the 5/16" threaded insert. It said 1/2", which is completely wrong. The insert just dropped into the hole. Fortunately, I had some epoxy. Contrary to expectations, the insert is epoxied in firmly enough to hold the weight of the cutting board when held by the furniture foot.

The cutting board wanted to slide around, but I had some stick-on plastic non-slip feet that hold it in place perfectly.

The rails went on perfectly.

My subject stage is a bit large for the cutting board, so I will end up either modifying it or making a new one.

It's not a 36" optical breadboard, but it wasn't $300 either.

2,581 views & 8 likes for this thread
Tripod for Macro?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.