Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 23 Oct 2017 (Monday) 04:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

UK Autumn Wedding on rare sunny day

futureal33
148 posts
Joined Mar 2010
UK, Manchester
Oct 23, 2017 04:51 |  #1

A few photos on my website blog of a recent wedding in the UK on a nice sunny day (rare!) in Autumn

https://www.nickenglis​hphotography.com ...utumn-wedding-photographs (external link)

Thanks for looking!

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 23, 2017 07:11 |  #2

Very nice indeed.

I like your processing, they have a nice contrasty look to them.

Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Oct 23, 2017 22:55 |  #3

Awesome set Nick. The candids are superb. I'm intrigued by how you go about these. For the few weddings I've done, for candids I try and stay back a bit and use a 70+ from the edges to not get in the way of the party but still get some great reactions. Yours look more like a 35mm range (?) which makes the pics look awesome, but I worry for that you've got to be right on top of the wedding party, almost in the way. From looking at your website I'm guessing you are subtle enough to find a good balance, so just after any suggestions I guess. Presume you also have a second shooter?

From the coulple shots they look very comfortable in front the camera so more credit to you.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

futureal33
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Mar 2010
UK, Manchester
Post has been edited 27 days ago by futureal33.
Oct 24, 2017 02:19 as a reply to Monkey moss's post |  #4

Hiya mate! Thanks for the compliments on the photos!
Yeah nearly all 35/50mm, I only use 85mm when I cannot get closer (such as when there's something physically in the way) but my preference is 35mm for most of my stuff, and 50mm 1.2 here and there (generally 35mm 1.4 on one body, 50mm 1.2 on the other body - both on a Spyder holster belt)

Yeah I really try to get in as close as possible - you kind of need to with a 35mm, I hate cropping pics - so I force myself in closer - the only obstacle is your in head - the feeling that you shouldn't be this close in... but I just do my best to ignore it and go with it!

In my experience, no one has punched me yet for being too close! I try my best to build a bit of a rapport with as many guests / bridesmaids / ushers as possible in the morning so that by the drinks reception they know me (a bit) and that seems to help when I'm sticking my lens right into their group conversations.

I only shoot solo, I've tried with seconds in the past and find that I end up with a load of photos where they are in-shot, and also it can impact my relationship with the bride & groom - you mention above about the B&G looking comfortable infront of the camera - I personally find when there's more than 1 cameraman, this instantly impacts how relaxed / comfortable they look and act - also why I personally prefer to not have any videographers with me for the B&G stuff (5-10 mins max) - I've tried it both ways and always prefer the interaction from being the only person infront of the B&G and feel this helps me get that relaxed feel to the images!

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 24, 2017 02:59 |  #5

Nick I just read your 35mm review. Excellent.

I recently got one as well. I agree with everything you say. I got mine from a lady who makes a living doing dog photography of all things. Not sure how you can do that, but more power to her. She upgraded to the II because of CA. She backlights everything, and she is a pixel peeper so for her she got the II. I could not bring myself to spend 4x the amount for a new model.

I really like the colour and contrast. It is not as sharp as my 24-70 2.8 II, but I actually find that sharpness a pain the rear photographing people. Fill the frame and you can count the pores in their skin. Funny you mention headshots. One thing I do, time permitting,I do headshots of the bridal party. This is more a marketing move than anything else. Plus they love it. For that I just use the 85 1.8. That is a really nice lens for that purpose.

I am not in love with any of the Canon 50mm's, I prefer the 35 a lot more. I used it last wedding for the bridal prep, cocktail hour and the reception. It's awesome for doing table shots. I try to photograph everyone. One of the top complaints in a survey of brides was not enough guest photos. So I just go around and try and get everyone. The 35 at 1.4 is awesome for that.

futureal33
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Mar 2010
UK, Manchester
Oct 24, 2017 03:20 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #6

Hi George,

I wrote that a few weeks ago, and my feelings for the 35mm f1.4 L (mark 1) have grown even stronger, I just love this lens!

Totally agree with what you say about sharpness... which in my opinion is over-rated and discussed..the 35mm f1.4 wide open is more than sharp enough for what I use it for - and the CA although it is evident, isn't much of an issue really - I haven't yet ever had a bride say she loves my photos but why is there a purple edge around the metal candle holders on the top table... it just isnt a "real" problem. I guess if you were shooting stuff for magazines / billboards where absolute critical sharpness, lack of CA, perfect colours etc were required this might be more of a consideration... but for weddings, where 99% of my shots are natural, un-planned and un-staged then a little bit of a purple edge on something metal or shiny isnt a problem for me.

I personally love the 50L too. Quite different to the 35L but it has a different look which I love to use in back-lit situations wide open!
I remember following Jordan Voth (external link) on here years ago when he used to post a lot of model stuff, nearly all back-lit with either the 35L or 50L and I decided there and then, that was a look that I loved, and have pursued shooting as much back-lit stuff as possible ever since.

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Oct 24, 2017 04:09 |  #7

futureal33 wrote in post #18479569 (external link)
Hi George,

I wrote that a few weeks ago, and my feelings for the 35mm f1.4 L (mark 1) have grown even stronger, I just love this lens!

Totally agree with what you say about sharpness... which in my opinion is over-rated and discussed..the 35mm f1.4 wide open is more than sharp enough for what I use it for - and the CA although it is evident, isn't much of an issue really - I haven't yet ever had a bride say she loves my photos but why is there a purple edge around the metal candle holders on the top table... it just isnt a "real" problem. I guess if you were shooting stuff for magazines / billboards where absolute critical sharpness, lack of CA, perfect colours etc were required this might be more of a consideration... but for weddings, where 99% of my shots are natural, un-planned and un-staged then a little bit of a purple edge on something metal or shiny isnt a problem for me.

I personally love the 50L too. Quite different to the 35L but it has a different look which I love to use in back-lit situations wide open!
I remember following Jordan Voth (external link) on here years ago when he used to post a lot of model stuff, nearly all back-lit with either the 35L or 50L and I decided there and then, that was a look that I loved, and have pursued shooting as much back-lit stuff as possible ever since.

I should revisit the 50mm.

I was just thinking it is probably me sucking at 50mm shooting.

This is probably a bad analogy but here it is. I used to be a professional musician. Played for years full time as a guitarist and singer. Some of my favourite players of all time played a guitar called a Fender Stratocaster. Guys like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore and so on. When I played one I just never liked it.... other people said I sounded fine, but to my ears I preferred a guitar called a Gibson when I played. It's just a taste and a familiarity thing. The audience could not hear the difference and would not care in the slightest. Years later, I got a Stratocaster I liked the feel of and I love it now. Nothing had changed except my own perception. Weird. It's all academic now, I have not gigged in a few years and the only time I play now is to accompany my daughter at a few big functions a year and I use an acoustic.

Anyway... the point being, I might dig out my 50mm 1.4 and revisit it and if I dig it, I might look at that 1.2. I know people who swear by that Lens and it will be me, not the Lens.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Oct 24, 2017 06:01 |  #8

Very nice venue, rare fine Autumn day, very happy (probably very expensive) event, young stylish and cheerful wedding party ... this had a lot going for it!

But I think you also captured it exceptionally well. I like the fact that you have a distinct personal style of shooting too. And you were clearly able to build up a strong rapport with the couple and their guests that gives your photos a relaxed easy feeling.

Great job.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

AshikChauhan
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Oct 24, 2017 06:23 |  #9

Wonderful photos! They are beautiful, I am sure the couple are very happy with them! :)

UK Based Portrait & Travel Photographer | Ashik Chauhan Photography
www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 24, 2017 12:14 |  #10

Gorgeous set. Totes Amaze as they say in Braddie....... Er, sorry, I mean Chelsea :-D

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

529 views & 3 likes for this thread
UK Autumn Wedding on rare sunny day
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.