Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 17:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I tested and reviewed the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini

Mike ­ Photo
Joined Apr 2006
Boston, Ma
Jul 06, 2017 17:13 |  #1

Hi everyone. I just finished testing the Star Adventurer Mini this weekend and wrote a review up for it over on Fstoppers.com (external link) Please check out the full in depth review if you're interested in a light weight star tracker.

Here is my basic thoughts and experience with it.

What I Liked

Small form factor and weight
Easy set up with few components
Controlled entirely through App
Relatively novice friendly (good results first night out)
Variety of program modes (less gear more functions for travel)

What I Didn't Like

The Latitude Base does not rotate on its own
The GUI could always be prettier (this is the Geek in me nitpicking)
Gun Sight could be better
Illuminator could be brighter
You have to remove the Polar Scope to mount the camera

Final Thoughts

If you're a novice this is a lightweight easy and quick to set up entry into astrophotgoraphy. If you're experienced and looking for a more mobile kit for traveling or fun weekends with the family then this has tons of great features to make it the go to setup. The images I shot my first night out with the SAM were much better then any I had taken before. While testing my only goal was to get to an area that was as dark as possible and far enough from any city to not get a lot of light pollution. So I really didn't put much thought into compositions or getting creative. After a few nights of use, my mind is full of great ideas of what I could do with the SAM. Wider shots with the Milky Way arching or tighter shots of some of the closer Galaxies would be really interesting to try. Next however I'm going to try out the Lunar and Solar tracking modes in preparation for the Solar Eclipse in August.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO
Bodies:Canon 7D mII, Canon 7D(Gripped)
Lenses: Canon 70-200 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 II(reversed element for macro), Sigma Art 18-35 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8

Somephotosmiami
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 24, 2017 14:17 |  #2

nice!

no issues with the shutter release cable?

486 views & 5 likes for this thread
I tested and reviewed the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.