Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 25, 2017 03:01 as a reply to post 18480394 |  #6061

$3199 makes the a9 seem a bit over priced eh?

Well certainly the Riii looks to be the best do it all. I think I'm going to stick with
the Rii for landscaping and the a9 for things that move. Love the new form factor
of the Riii though. Type C USB is super nice too.

Did anyone catch what kind of dual slots for the Riii ??

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Oct 25, 2017 03:06 |  #6062

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18480396 (external link)

Well certainly the Riii looks to be the best do it all. I think I'm going to stick with
the Rii for landscaping and the a9 for things that move. Love the new form factor

Same as the a9 I believe.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 25, 2017 03:20 |  #6063

A bit saddened by the 400/2.8 announcement, looks like I'll have an EOS vestige in the DOii for
a while longer.

Anyone have an interest in the 24-105G? Vinz?
Long ago I had the Canon 24-105 and it gathered dust.

flickr (external link)

uljens
Joined Oct 2009
Riga, Latvia
Post has been edited 27 days ago by uljens.
Oct 25, 2017 03:32 |  #6064

smelling serous GAS problem in the air
largest part here has not reached the potential of camera they are using now (by pictures available) but already rushing for any new gear announced. have the funds, ok no problem, but... i could sell this, and this to get that, sell a kidney....
guys :)
who is making the photo - photographer, camera, lens?

Uldis | Instagram (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 25, 2017 05:14 |  #6065

uljens wrote in post #18480404 (external link)
smelling serous GAS problem in the air
largest part here has not reached the potential of camera they are using now (by pictures available) but already rushing for any new gear announced. have the funds, ok no problem, but... i could sell this, and this to get that, sell a kidney....
guys :)
who is making the photo - photographer, camera, lens?

Consumerism, it's an American addiction/problem probably found nowhere else in the world ;)
But one of our former presidents (BushII) once told us to go out and spend/keep the economy going!
As mentioned prior, I'm sitting this cycle out and for reasons you've mentioned-I've not outgrown the capacity of the A7Rii......

As an aside, it is kinda cool seeing the A7Riii(3) finally reaching the specs of the a99ii; and with the Sony exec stating last week that a-mount bodies
and lenses aren't dead at all I feel as a good thing.

The only thing that will be in my mind as I pack for a trip is having two different batteries and chargers :)

flickr (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 25, 2017 05:39 |  #6066

I will buy it but not as crazy as when i bought my RII. Now how much can i sell my RII? Lol

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 25, 2017 05:46 |  #6067

And i thank sony for keeping it at $3200. I don’t think the A9 will have an R version. It will stay within it’s intended competition, the D5 and the 1DXii

INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 25, 2017 05:48 |  #6068

Charlie wrote in post #18480149 (external link)
wait, do you still have a camera setup?

I do, and with my bonus coming in from work as well as proceeds from the a9 sale, maybe an a7rIII is in the future?

Current Gear: Nadda

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 25, 2017 05:50 |  #6069

mystik610 wrote in post #18480186 (external link)
Nice looking bags but as usual, lowepro slaps their logo very prominently on it. Their stuff screams "expensive things inside"

Nothing a little bit of gaffers tape can't fix.

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 25, 2017 05:51 |  #6070

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18480242 (external link)
I'm still looking for another 20L Everyday Backpack. I know you didn't like yours.
So far we love the 20L and 30L we have but sometimes the 30L is too much.

MM, look at the one sold at Huckberry, they have an exclusive all black one that looks really nice with the same brown leather accents of the Ash one.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 25, 2017 05:54 |  #6071

Do Type C USB means faster tether shooting? I think the 7R has reach its maturity age. now we can legitimately call it a pro competition of DSLRs

Wait are the SD card accepts the fastest card now? and is it both?.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by mystik610. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 25, 2017 05:58 |  #6072

Wow a7rIII looks killer. Definitely a better fit for me than the a9. I might seriously sell the a9, eat the loss and get the a7rIII.

The a9 came out of a need for me since I booked a bunch of weddings and needed a second body and something faster than the a7rII as the sluggishness of thad body is a real detriment when shooting events. But the a7rIII checks all the right boxes for me, and is probably the perfect wedding/event cam.

My initial thought when I saw the announcement was to keep the a9 since it still has its upsides...but realistically speaking, if I had an a9 and an a7rIII, the a9 would be relegated to being a back-up and I can't see myself holding onto something that expensive if it isn't used very regularly. I got the a9 for $4k, so if I can sell it for $3,500, I can call it a $500 rental. If I can't fetch a fair price on the a9, then I'll wait.

Yes I have G.A.S. but the a7rIII is literally the perfect camera for me.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

DBNissan
Joined Mar 2010
NorCal's Delta Valley
Oct 25, 2017 06:06 |  #6073

vinmunoz wrote in post #18480439 (external link)
Do Type C USB means faster tether shooting? I think the 7R has reach its maturity age. now we can legitimately call it a pro competition of DSLRs

Wait are the SD card accepts the fastest card now? and is it both?.

Yes, Type-C USB is the faster USB 3.1 speed. It states faster tethered file transfers

Smooth PC tethering via USB 3.1 Gen 1 port
A USB Type-C™ port supporting fast USB 3.1 Gen 1 facilitates high-speed PC Remote transfer of large RAW data files, so you can quickly review images on a PC and continue shooting without delay. Also, a setting to transfer only JPEG files to PC lets you check images via PC even more quickly after continuous shooting because the camera doesn't have to send big volumes of RAW data.

I believe both slots are UHS-II compatible as their description on the website does not state them as separate

Dual slots with UHS-II compatibility
This camera provides two media slots for SD card (UHS-II-compatible for fast data writing) and SD/MS card, respectively. Two cards in the slots can be used to simultaneously record or relay record data, separate RAW data from JPEG data, or stills from movies, and copy data from one card to the other. The memory card cover is lockable to prevent it from being opened unintentionally

I can't wait to get my hands on this camera!

~Dan 6D | 80D | 50D | S120 | 24-105 f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Tamron 18-270mm VC | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Tamron C-AF BBAR MC7 2xTC | 580EXII | 430EXII | YN-500EX | YN-622C | Flashpoint RoveLight 600 | Sony a6500 | 18-105mm f/4 G | Sigma MC-11 | Godox TT685S | Godox X1T-S
www.DBNphotography.com (external link)

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 25, 2017 06:09 as a reply to TMaG82's post |  #6074

Charlie wrote in post #18480375 (external link)
Aka pixel shift.

Some existing cameras can do this, , but otherwise cool feature

The 24-105 looks to be a full inch shorter than the 24-70gm, moderate size, about the same as 24-105L, with no adapter needed.

The 24-105 looks like a great lens for me. I had the 24-70 GM and loved it but didn't like the size and weight of it. This is in th 600 ish gram range and slightly longer. The f/4 doesn't bother me as much, but the trade off in size and weight and a little extra reach is worth it. One of my favorite lenses when I shot my old D810 was the 24-120.

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18480377 (external link)
This announced at Brian Smith-
SONY ANNOUNCES FE 24-105MM F4 G OSS LENS
http://briansmith.com/​blog/ (external link)

ALONG with the Sony A7Riii(3)
http://briansmith.com ...announces-a7r-iii-camera/ (external link)

42.4 MP with 10 FPS Continuous Shooting with either Mechanical or Electronic Shutter
• USB 3.1 Type-C Tethering Connection
• Uses the new NP-FZ100 Lithium-Ion Battery (from Sony a9)
• Dual SD Card Slots
• Pixel Shift Multi Shooting combines four sequential captures to eliminate color interpolation
• New LSI and Image Processor for better image quality from the same 42.4 mp sensor used in a7RII
• 4K HDR with Hybrid-Log-gamma S-Log3
• Enhanced Eye AF
• 5.5 Step 5-Axis Image Stabilization
• 15 Stop Dynamic Range
* Compatible with Sony VG-C3EM Vertical Grip (from Sony a9)

I would've thought that it would've been cheaper to just reuse the a9 body but I guess without high rate shooting they don't think you'd need to go from H / M/ L. Plus for me at least I just left it in AF-C most of the time, so needing fast AF settings was unnecessary. Pixel shift seems like an extra addition for product photographers, but most likely suffers from the same restrictions from all other versions on other cameras (needing to be locked down on a tripod, no movement in the scene). I gotta figure that the a9 will get log now, the a7rIII having s-log totally puts a damper on the a9 video.

Charlie wrote in post #18480378 (external link)
10fps, enhanced silent mode, enhanced eye tracking.

Not quite A9 since it can't do continuous live view, shame.

Nice incremental update, too expensive for immediate purchase.

Looks like the camera that a lot of those who bought the a9 would've liked instead. I'd venture that more people would have taken advantage of the a7rIII MP count, pixel shift, etc rather than the 20 FPS.

navydoc wrote in post #18480394 (external link)
This, according to Dpreview:

The a7R Mark III will be available from the last day of November at a recommended selling price of $3199.

Hmm, I'm going to Disney World on 12/2, is this a sign?

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18480396 (external link)

I would say that the a9 is even more specialized now. And while some might want to admit it, they'll say that they would've been better off waiting for the a7rIII. The lower price point is the clincher. I wonder if the D850 launch forced Sony to be more competitive in terms of pricing. Luckily I was able to sell my a9 for only $150 less than I bought it for.

vinmunoz wrote in post #18480434 (external link)
And i thank sony for keeping it at $3200. I don’t think the A9 will have an R version. It will stay within it’s intended competition, the D5 and the 1DXii

I can't see an a9r either. They literally put everything they could into this into a compelling package. It would've surprise me if some who are still waiting for the D850 end up canceling their preorder for this. Only thing an a9r version could eventually bring in say 12-18 months is a 60+ MP sensor, which I don't need.

With the bonus that I'm getting from work which is significantly more than I expected combined with the sale of my a9, I'm thinking of preordering the a7rIII. I loved my a9, much more than my older a7rII. Not so much for the 20FPS or the silent shooting, but the dual card slots, the better eye af, the af joystick, and the overall responsiveness. But I couldn't help but think that I was paying a super premium for the 20 FPS and the electronic shutter and the speed with buffer. The a7rIII with the same body and hopefully responsiveness, with the 42 MP sensor and the new features like pixel shift seem to make better sense for my needs, as my subjects aren't moving fast enough to need the high FPS and the 8/10 on this with a smaller buffer doesn't restrict me. The 24-105 doesn't hurt the case as I'm envisioning a a7rIII with 24-105 and a 1.8 prime to be a baseline to carry.

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 25, 2017 06:13 |  #6075

The nrw a7r3 is nice, but for now I intend to stick with my current setup and focus on lenses and doing more and more paid work.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

253,172 views & 14010 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.