Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 25 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 09:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Clamp Tripod

level5photog
163 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Oct 25, 2017 09:36 |  #1

I really like the RRS Safari clamp Tripod to clamp to rail, but it's too expensive.

I saw Impact Super Clamp looks great when paired with a ball head (Joby Ballhead X). Anyone have any experience with it?

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 25, 2017 11:28 |  #2

I have both Impact and Manfrotto super clamps. First, the basic super clamp design is beefy and reliable! Everyone who rigs grip equipment or flys cameras needs a couple in their kit!

I’d pay the few dollars more for the Manfrotto - there’s a plastic insert for one of the jaws that stores elsewhere on the clamp when not in use. The clamp works without the insert on round objects, pipes, etc., but it flattens out the V of the moveable jaw into a flat surface for clamping on square or rectangular surfaces.

If you’re buying for field use, the problem with the Impact is that the insert storage isn’t very secure, and you may not have the insert when you need it.

Otherwise, the clamps are very comparable.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Hokie Jim.
Oct 25, 2017 11:39 |  #3

I don't have any experience with Super Clamps - I haven't run into situations where I'd need one yet - but if the difference in quality is anything like Manfrotto's lighting gear, I'd definitely go that direction.

The Manfrotto 5/8" extension pole and umbrella/Speedlite clamp I have have been rock solid.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

level5photog
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Post has been edited 1 month ago by level5photog.
Oct 25, 2017 12:38 |  #4

SailingAway wrote in post #18480731 (external link)
I have both Impact and Manfrotto super clamps. First, the basic super clamp design is beefy and reliable! Everyone who rigs grip equipment or flys cameras needs a couple in their kit!

I’d pay the few dollars more for the Manfrotto - there’s a plastic insert for one of the jaws that stores elsewhere on the clamp when not in use. The clamp works without the insert on round objects, pipes, etc., but it flattens out the V of the moveable jaw into a flat surface for clamping on square or rectangular surfaces.

If you’re buying for field use, the problem with the Impact is that the insert storage isn’t very secure, and you may not have the insert when you need it.

Otherwise, the clamps are very comparable.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm planning to go to Disneyland soon so they don't allow Tripods so instead of getting a GorillaPOD, I thought this is a better alternative.

I'm currently looking at Impact Super Clamp with T handle for my application and trying to find a local camera store that have it.

level5photog
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Oct 25, 2017 12:51 |  #5

Hokie Jim wrote in post #18480743 (external link)
I don't have any experience with Super Clamps - I haven't run into situations where I'd need one yet - but if the difference in quality is anything like Manfrotto's lighting gear, I'd definitely go that direction.

The Manfrotto 5/8" extension pole and umbrella/Speedlite clamp I have have been rock solid.

Me either. Unfornately Disneyland, skyscraper, and alot of indoor locations prevent tripods due to hazards.

307 views & 1 like for this thread
Clamp Tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.