Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 15 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 11:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Obteka 15mm F4 Macro | Venus 15mm F4 Macro | Same thing?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 15, 2017 11:06 |  #1

Hey all,

I've been eyeing the Venus 15mm F4 Macro for a while. I'm an ultrawide junky for many things, and it's significantly wider than my widest which is 17mm (on full frame). I was considering a 14mm F2.8 for a while but never comitted due to lack of normal filters, etc, and have zero need for F2.8. The Venus 15mm F4 on the other hand checks a lot of boxes, being even wider than 17mm, but still takes normal filters, and optically is great, and has macro ability on top of that for interesting potential. But I've never liked the price of the Venus 15mm. Also the Venus has a shift mechanism, which I'm not really in need of, when I shoot wide, I embrace distortion.

That said, I just noticed that Obteka basically has the same lens available, rebranded, without the shift mechanism, also being 15mm F4. Signficantly cheaper. $149 new actually. Made think at first that it was just not the same lens and moved on. But I went back later and read some things and people were claiming its the same as the Venus, without the shift. That intrigues me a lot. I don't mind spending $150 on a novelty lens that has multiple purposes. And I'd rather have a 15mm F4 macro than a 14mm F2.8 non-macro any day for the things I do.

Anyone know first hand or with a good source if these two lenses are indeed the same or at least close enough, just minus the shift?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 15, 2017 11:43 |  #2

Have you tried comparing the optical formula...number of elements in number of groups... 'M elements in N groups'?

Both are 12 elements in 9 groups, both have one Low Dispersion and three high refractive aspherics, both apertures are 14 blades...sounds awfually like 'shift' is the real distinguishing thing

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 15, 2017 12:03 |  #3

Everything points to them being the same, minus the shifter. But wondered if any of the macro group knew from hands-on-for-sure versus a bunch of vague stuff floating around the web.

I know the Venus is pretty sharp too, even wide open, corner performance seems decent. So for the $150 price tag, seems like a no-brainer.

Plus, Kurt around here can sell this lens, his 15mm macro work sets the bar. I've wanted an ultrawide macro lens after just seeing the perspective on those snakes.

Very best,

SteB
Joined Oct 2008
Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom
Jul 16, 2017 03:42 |  #4

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm been meaning to get the Venus 15mm f4, but the price, short working distance and lack of opportunities for wide angle macros for me personally this last couple of years had meant I'd cooled on the idea. But if these become available through a UK source at this price I might consider getting one. Be interested to see some user experience. Brian has been using the rebranded version of the Venus 60mm macro, and it seems the real deal, with excellent results.

Tweet
Joined Feb 2010
North Dakota
Sep 10, 2017 11:39 |  #5

Awesome! Thank you for the heads up. It's strange when you can get great glass on the cheap!

Paul Tweten | Cat Photographer Extraordinaire :D

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 10, 2017 11:43 |  #6

I haven't picked it up yet, but will hopefully soon. It's too inexpensive and functional not to just grab it up. Costs as much as a kit lens after all.

Gonna wait till after Hurricane Irma floats past to see what I have left before buying a lens, heh heh. :rolleyes::oops: :p

Very best,

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Post has been edited 2 months ago by ZoneV.
Sep 13, 2017 05:39 |  #7

I got mine few days ago. And the first few tests were impressive, at least wide open and viewing on camera display.
The focus ring sometimes feels a bit strange, but have to get more images to tell someting more exact.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

SteB
Joined Oct 2008
Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom
Sep 16, 2017 16:53 |  #8

I just ordered one. I'm from the UK and had to order it from the US. It was with eBay worldwide shipping arrangement so I paid import duty etc up front. Not bad, because with shipping it was £150 British pounds, and given that the Venus/Laowa is £499 in the UK I could have got 3 of them and had £50 left. When I get it in about 10 days I'll test it and post some sample images.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 16, 2017 16:56 |  #9

Cool look forward to hearing how it is!

Very best,

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Sep 26, 2017 07:23 |  #10

By the way: In case you get one with adapters, for example for Sony E mount: First thing to check if the adapter screws are fixed. I did not, but noted some play.
Luckily nothing bad happend (blocking between adapter and lens or such).
All four screws where more or less loose, feels much better after I have thightend them.

I am very happy with the wideangel macro capability. Let's say between 1:2 to 1:5. For 1:1 it is ok for translucent materials. I think about a modification to get more light :-)

My tests as further distance wideangle on fullframe where bad, no edge sharpness widopen - but I suppose this is based on the loose screws adapter at this first outdoor walk.

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Sep 26, 2017 15:57 |  #11

Here two of the first test images I made:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I like what I get with that lens as wideangle macro. Still nothing to say about infinity or such, edge to edge sharpness.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Post has been edited 1 month ago by KenjiS.
Sep 26, 2017 21:59 |  #12

That looks like a fun lens to shoot, curious to see more from it :D

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Oct 26, 2017 03:13 |  #13

I took the lens with me on vaccation:

- Sometimes the focussing ring needs very different force to be focussed down in the macro range. On some occasions I first thought it may be damaged ans stuck. Likely I have to open the lens soon to see if the rollers where OK.
- Some of my far away images (portraits in envirment) are partial unsharp. I supppose the adapter from EF mount to Sony E-Mount (which I got with the lens) could be tilted, or the lens itself has a problem. But nontheless, the images I got with with are great.

So at the moment the lens is good when I have more or less on object to focus on, but not good for example landscape.

sponsored links

3,991 views & 6 likes for this thread
Obteka 15mm F4 Macro | Venus 15mm F4 Macro | Same thing?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.