Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Oct 26, 2017 17:47 |  #6241

that's easy math. lol i'll just go with the average amazon used price

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 26, 2017 19:12 |  #6242

mystik610 wrote in post #18481701 (external link)
Just noticed that the a7rIII doesn't have the shooting mode dial that the a9 has. That's a bummer as that dial is actually pretty useful.

I did too, but ended up keeping it in single shooting and AF-C all the time, only rarely would I be in M or L.

Current Gear: Nadda

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 26, 2017 20:02 |  #6243

rantercsr wrote in post #18481862 (external link)
for me , not really its already a top notch sensor only debatably beat by the d850? (ff vs ff )..

its all the other upgrades that really matter to me .. joystick!!! improved AF !! even better eye af .. well I didn't have the a7rii but had the 6500 and 7sii , and eye af worked well enough to actually use in actual photo session.. and now its improved ..

plus improved button layout from what I understand..

when I sold the a7sii and 6500 I was about to go a7rii but didn't because.. I heard its AF can be a bit sluggish .. and I really don't like how I had to switch af point with the wheel ..( and also skin tone issues that I'm struggling with )

anyway... the sensor of the 7rii for me was not the reason that kept me from getting it , the sensor or not getting it ,actually made me sad to say good bye to sony, its all the things they fixed that kept me from getting the 7rii

so ,, yeah .. I Pre ordered the A7R3 :-)

now I i'm just going through all my gear to see what I can sell lol..

At the moment all I have remaining from sony is the 28mm .. which I knew not to sell as I had a feeling i'd be back and that was my favorite lens when taking my camera with me on casual days/nights out (where photography is not the primary reason )

so I will be needing something more ..

DONT sell the 28/2. Congratulations on the Riii.
I was looking at the 'trade up' program at Adorama and Poof said 'hey I might want to carry the R2' Ha! I can't win :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 26, 2017 20:07 |  #6244

Not the IQ we want in an image but man talk about fun. I got to watch (a rarity here, usually Bluebirds won't show back up
until spring) 4 Bluebirds going in and out of this house--a house made for Screetch Owls but used this past summer by Starlings--it's
a crazy bird world. Anyway named this one Newlyweds :)

I had to stay 20 feet away, almost as skittish as the Blue-Js. So close to 600mm effective. And an obvervation on the 10iv; I thought the a9 filled
up cards fast, this round of shots with the Bluebirds was a bit over 2200 images--not long to do at 24fps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Oct 26, 2017 20:13 |  #6245

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18481938 (external link)
Not the IQ we want in an image but man talk about fun. I got to watch (a rarity here, usually Bluebirds won't show back up
until spring) 4 Bluebirds going in and out of this house--a house made for Screetch Owls but used this past summer by Starlings--it's
a crazy bird world. Anyway named this one Newlyweds :)

I had to stay 20 feet away, almost as skittish as the Blue-Js. So close to 600mm effective. And an obvervation on the 10iv; I thought the a9 filled
up cards fast, this round of shots with the Bluebirds was a bit over 2200 images--not long to do at 24fps.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=184​81938&i=i192540112
forum: Sony Cameras

Wow, nothing wrong with the IQ here! Super catch.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 26, 2017 20:25 |  #6246

navydoc wrote in post #18481871 (external link)
No, I've never formatted my memory card. When I transfer images to my computer, I take the card out of the camera and place it in a USB card reader. Then I open Windows (7) Explorer and the reader with the card in it now behaves like a removable hard drive. I just browse to the correct folder on the card and cut/paste them into a folder I create on my computer. I have a 2nd hard drive that I use exclusively for images and is where I move the raw images to.

That leaves the folder hierarchy of the memory card intact and the image folder now empty for the next round of shooting. I just remove the card from the reader and place it back in the camera.

I have to say, the most frustrating thing about the memory cards and file names is that it bases file number on the memory card, and not the body...and for people like me that shoot a lot of cards either at an event, on a trip or just keep them in cycle...its really annoying, because by name they will get all out of order...I wish it would not do that.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 26, 2017 20:42 |  #6247

Hey Carlo...finally got the FW update to install...Eye AF on the 135L and 5ART are both good...not sure how it would work with a native longer prime...but I simulated movement by moving the camera around, and it kept a lock on an eye...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 26, 2017 20:51 |  #6248

]

TRhoads wrote in post #18481957 (external link)
Hey Carlo...finally got the FW update to install...Eye AF on the 135L and 5ART are both good...not sure how it would work with a native longer prime...but I simulated movement by moving the camera around, and it kept a lock on an eye...

TRhoads wrote in post #18481957 (external link)

Awesome thank you Travis! 135mm is as long I'm really concerned with when it comes to eye af

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 26, 2017 20:54 |  #6249

mystik610 wrote in post #18481962 (external link)
]

Awesome thank you Travis! 135mm is as long I'm really concerned with when it comes to eye af

I meant more like a native 85 or 135...don't have access to one ATM...I would say it works plenty good, I will test it tomorrow at the school with kids...that will be a test.

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by MedicineMan4040. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 26, 2017 22:06 |  #6250

TRhoads wrote in post #18481952 (external link)
I have to say, the most frustrating thing about the memory cards and file names is that it bases file number on the memory card, and not the body...and for people like me that shoot a lot of cards either at an event, on a trip or just keep them in cycle...its really annoying, because by name they will get all out of order...I wish it would not do that.

On trips nightly back up to external hard drive AND either the phone memory or usb zip drive (save me at Easter Island when someone in the airlines stole the hard drive), and always format the
card when re-inserting. That's my story, sticking to it.

Travis, editing because I forgot to tell. 3 weeks ago in Yellowstone with the a9 a Lexar 128gb UHS-II 2000x failed. Would not read, write, could not format in camera or in two different laptops on the trip nor on the big machine when we got back. Lexar replaced already...never acknowledged why. Why mention this? Tony Northrup uses big cards for the whole trip. I'm not going to do that now, never did in fact, but def. not now.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 26, 2017 22:11 |  #6251

navydoc wrote in post #18481943 (external link)
Wow, nothing wrong with the IQ here! Super catch.

thanks Gene (and for the study vids on flash/reflections/etc. Again I need to just fly out and buy the beer and
sirloin and watch you do the magic!).
the 10iv's little sensor is like the engine who keeps saying 'I think I can I think I can'. More I use it more I'm enamored.
From pseudo macro, flash product, BIF, perched.....really a lot in the package. I'd think the true videophiles would be all over it.

flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,572 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Post has been edited 28 days ago by digital_AM.
Oct 26, 2017 22:58 |  #6252

"US Post Office and Court House - SATX"

Loxia 21mm, 2 shot vertical pano merged in PS CC, Edited in DxO PhotoLab and Nik Color Efex

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4461/37248528904_21351fba38_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YKwr​VA] (external link)SATX US Post Office and Court House (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

2048px Version on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com ...edomoraphotography/​H8269E (external link)

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 26, 2017 23:18 as a reply to digital_AM's post |  #6253

Look at the four little red light stars lower left! Wow! Of course the entire picture is great but the little details are big :)

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 26, 2017 23:51 |  #6254

Though we used the campervan we did spend a bit of time in the Old Faithful Lodge.
This chimney is 85 feet tall.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,572 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 27, 2017 00:10 |  #6255

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18482042 (external link)
Look at the four little red light stars lower left! Wow! Of course the entire picture is great but the little details are big :)

Thank you MM. I was pleased to see those red lights too.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

sponsored links

260,684 views & 14207 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.