Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 21 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 07:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to close account

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Pekka.
Oct 25, 2017 15:39 |  #16

statsman wrote in post #18480544 (external link)
That's all well and good. But leaving accounts unused but populated with personal information is not the warm fuzzy I am looking for. Many forums require enough personal information on site in order to verify the account.

In my case, I have long since stopped posting here and would like my account deleted. And I don't mean "banned" with my personal information left intact. It would be helpful if there was an actual mechanism to have an account on this forum deleted.

We have a policy to not delete accounts as invariably people come back later. If you do not want to be here, do not log in.

If you want to delete or edit your own posts, feel free to do so, there is a delete and edit button under each post. I do not have tools for such mass deletion in this stage of forum code development, sorry. If you want your threads deleted, report them to mods, but please remember that such a request will result in deletion of lots of other member's posts in the same threads, posts which they have taken time to write and share to you. We might not delete threads for such reasons.

I would also like to let you know you that all content in public internet sites have been added during years to dozens of search engines, history sites and other robot references, out of our control of course (like Google/Bing). So, deleting posts makes it only harder for other members to follow threads, deleting would not hide them from the world for good. Is there really a need for you to delete your posts - they seem good posts to me?

You can remove your member info (location etc) what you have decided to share to us in http://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?m=128936, just click it to change.

I would not worry about forum identity too much. Your identity can not be tracked if your username is unique to POTN, and you do not use same name elsewhere. If you want your username changed, let me know (all your posts will change to that name immediately). The ONLY items that are "personal" are your email, and that is never revealed to anyone, even if your account gets hacked, and IP addresses of posts and PM's (stored in server). IP addresses have lost their "personality" a lot in last years, so they are really not very good for identifying anyone's person, they are stored for cases of fraud and spammer ban tracking. See more about our privacy policy in http://photography-on-the.net/forum/privacyp​olicy.php

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,593 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 25, 2017 15:42 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18480965 (external link)
This is exactly right, TeamSpeed.

A lot of people have very weird, erroneous ideas about so-called "personal information" being "out there" and think that it makes them vulnerable to some kind of identity theft or hacking or violation of privacy or something. . But that simply is not so. . They are just one of the misinformed, paranoid masses.

Agreed. Very little (as in EXTREMELY little) personal data is stolen from individual consumers, or small setups like POTN. No value in it. ID thieves go after the big boys, banks, credit cards and such. If you keep you're OS' security up to date, you are very minimally exposed to such things. The e-mail address I have 'exposed' on POTN is too easily deleted/switched for it to be a concern.

I know a few of those 'paranoid masses' who don't shop online. Won't even put credit card data in their financial management software, but think nothing of plugging their credit card into the local gas pump. I just love telling them the gas pumps are hooked up to the internet. "How do you think your credit card company found out you bought gas?" Or any other purchase for that matter. It is ALL online.

Tom

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,593 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 25, 2017 15:44 |  #18

WaltA wrote in post #18480986 (external link)
You guys don't think a person's email address is considered personal info?

I get 1000's of SPAM emails a day - probably because they got my email address from some forums whose data is easy to break into. I've started using a gmail address instead of my real one to try and stop the flow.

I also think if you're savvy at Internet research you can backtrack from a personal email address and learn lots more personal stuff about someone.

Just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

If you are getting spam, you gave the valid address away at some point. I have an 'outlook.com' account that I use SOLELY for business and professional communication. It has been up and running for over two years. I've never gotten one piece of spam to that account. No advertising. No nothing I don't want/need/expect.

Tom

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by WaltA. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 25, 2017 15:58 |  #19

Bassat wrote in post #18480993 (external link)
If you are getting spam, you gave the valid address away at some point. I have an 'outlook.com' account that I use SOLELY for business and professional communication. It has been up and running for over two years. I've never gotten one piece of spam to that account. No advertising. No nothing I don't want/need/expect.

Yes, I think that's exactly what I said.

I've been involved in forums since back in the mid-80's - dial-in and bulletin boards like Delphi, UseNet, FidoNet and other types- since before there was an Internet. Many of the forums I use since then are work related and need to use my work email address for accreditation.

Its only in the last couple of years that its come back to haunt me.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,189 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 25, 2017 18:03 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #18480993 (external link)
If you are getting spam, you gave the valid address away at some point.

Or someone else posted it on a public page. That happened to me after I entered a contest. The winners' contact info appeared where results were announced. Handy for reporters who wanted to find us; equally handy for all those widows of Nigerian princes. The spam flood stopped when I changed ISPs.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,153 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Oct 25, 2017 18:29 |  #21

WaltA wrote in post #18480986 (external link)
I also think if you're savvy at Internet research you can backtrack from a personal email address and learn lots more personal stuff about someone.

Very true.

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Oct 25, 2017 22:25 |  #22

I'm not sure of the difference. I've had the same e-mail for over 15 years. Daily, I get 1-2 spam messages from entities I have no relationship to.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 26, 2017 09:50 |  #23

I don't understand why folks have problems with SPAM.

I get somewhere around 100 SPAM emails every day.....but the SPAM filter that Yahoo uses filters 99% of them out and I never even see them, unless I go there intentionally just to see how well the filter is working. . Furthermore, none of the "good" emails ever get filtered out by mistake. . It's kind of miraculous how well the SPAM filter works.

There are times when I list my main email address right in my signature line, for the world to see. . Also, it's right on the home page of my website. I am extremely active on the internet and post my main personal email address publicly. . I have done so for over 10 years now, and yet I I have never had any bad things happen to me because of this.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 28 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 26, 2017 10:31 |  #24

Not all providers have spam filters or good filters, including business email.

Also Yahoo filters are too aggressive, I often have personal emails that end up there, and customers of mine will not see their shipping tracking emails at their end due to Yahoo spam filters. These notices are generated by the PayPal system and are easily profiled to not be spam

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 26, 2017 17:46 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18481505 (external link)
Also Yahoo filters are too aggressive, I often have personal emails that end up there, and customers of mine will not see their shipping tracking emails at their end due to Yahoo spam filters.

Please see what I wrote in the post before yours:

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18481476 (external link)
. . . Furthermore, none of the "good" emails ever get filtered out by mistake. . It's kind of miraculous how well the SPAM filter works.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 26, 2017 19:27 |  #26

I guess I am missing the point? We are both using Yahoo, but find different things going on, so I don't know what to add. Even tonight I had a couple of personal emails in my Spam folder, one of which was one I sent myself from my work email. I also get spam in my inbox. The Yahoo filters are pretty good, but for me, it is perhaps around 90% accurate.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Oct 27, 2017 05:10 |  #27

My experience with the Yahoo! filter is pretty good, for the past few years. Before that, it wasn't that great.

I am I

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,619 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Oct 28, 2017 08:11 |  #28

I long for spam. It’s the only email I receive. Makes me feel loved. :lol:

sponsored links

1,849 views & 5 likes for this thread
How to close account
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.