Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 14 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 16:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is your minimum price? Drives me NUTS!

pigpile34
Joined Oct 2015
Oct 23, 2017 17:48 |  #76

Bassat wrote in post #18479200 (external link)
I see your point. The counter-point is that I've never NOT sold anything I was trying to sell. Why tolerate the frustration unnecessarily?

I discovered about 20 years ago that fishing is a LOT more fun if I leave the bait at home, and use that un-used space to take more beer. BAIT=Optional. BEER=Essential. Fishing is indeed an art form.

This is exactly my experience. I'm too old now to be wasting my time on an insulting first offer or ridiculous 1st email. There is always another buyer out there, always. I do negotiate, but only with people that aren't trying to get it for way under fair market.

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,669 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Oct 28, 2017 08:21 |  #77

I’ve bought and sold probably in excess of 50k in gear here over many years mostly without issue. I price low and so it goes. There is one particular member, however, nice enough guy, who invariably, and I don’t think with mal intent, makes me a lowball offer. I’ve always thank him for his interest and politely decline. Until the last time. His offer was so absurd, I replied by telling him I’d not only ship it to him, but I’d pay him to take my pristine gear off my hands.

I recently divested of all my gear, a 1dx2 with 5000 on shutter, 24-70 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 100-400 II, 3 600 ex flashes, etc. I didn’t bother to list it. I know a few members who are prolific buyers and sellers. I pmd one, told him how much I wanted, he accepted, and I drove 150 miles to meet him. We had done many transactions before through my sale posts here. It was smooth as glass. No shipping, no PayPal fees, no nothing.

medicdude
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sacramento, Ca
Nov 15, 2017 15:10 |  #78

Wilt wrote in post #18472849 (external link)
Most folks in USA have no comprehension of the process of barter/negotiation of price!

THIS!
drives me crazy. i completely ignore those responses.

Dustin
5D3 : Lenses : Flashes

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
7,205 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 15, 2017 15:14 |  #79

MDJAK wrote in post #18483045 (external link)
I’ve bought and sold probably in excess of 50k in gear here over many years mostly without issue. I price low and so it goes. There is one particular member, however, nice enough guy, who invariably, and I don’t think with mal intent, makes me a lowball offer. I’ve always thank him for his interest and politely decline. Until the last time. His offer was so absurd, I replied by telling him I’d not only ship it to him, but I’d pay him to take my pristine gear off my hands.

I recently divested of all my gear, a 1dx2 with 5000 on shutter, 24-70 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 100-400 II, 3 600 ex flashes, etc. I didn’t bother to list it. I know a few members who are prolific buyers and sellers. I pmd one, told him how much I wanted, he accepted, and I drove 150 miles to meet him. We had done many transactions before through my sale posts here. It was smooth as glass. No shipping, no PayPal fees, no nothing.

Well, not quite nothing. Six or seven hours out of my day, and 12 gallons of gas is at least something.

Tom

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006
San Diego/ San Fran/ Berkeley
Nov 23, 2017 10:41 |  #80

When selling something sellers get so "personal". It's odd to me. If I am selling something for 100$ and someone offers me 50$ it's a joke, however if selling something for 20,000$ and they offer 19,850$ it's sold. The percentage is more important than the actual dollars. This is also interesting. When someone says "what's your minimum", they are essentially asking for your no haggle final offer. It is actually quite common and reasonable. If you don't want to sell the item for an less than say firm, but I can tell you as a purchaser when I see "firm" I immediately lose interest.

When I sell in person on Craigslist (I do this a lot) I tell people that text me "bring cash". I don't haggle over text or email. Look me in the eyes and ask me to lower my price.

With the internet this is obviously not possible (FaceTime I guess) so you have to expect some negotiation via email.

Stuff

Sideshot
87 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 23, 2017 11:09 |  #81

I don't mess around on CL or other sites All my listings have CASH FIRM - If the listing is still up I still have it.

-CASH FIRM- In my experiences many low ballers will waste a ton of time. They want to play games and get things for a fraction of the price. I price my things competitive and just list them as FIRM, that weeds out 90% of low ballers. I do not respond to any lower offers.

-If the listing is still up I still have it. - Many robots will just spew tens of thousands of "Do you still have it ?" or idiots who will go back and forth for nothing.

CL seems to be the worst around here. People will not show up to view stuff, etc. So on CL it is still for sale until I have cash in hand and I do not go out of my way to meet or deliver stuff. I meet in the parking lot down the street when ever is covenant for me.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,776 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 24, 2017 13:14 |  #82

Archibald wrote in post #18476280 (external link)
Yeah, it is so much fun to list stuff and just toy with buyers.

i feel like sellers that offer lowballs are having their own bit of fun too...just throwing out random numbers for items that they don't really care about, unless it's a deal...so everyone is having fun, and nothing is getting sold

my last craigslist deal was meeting a guy for an 85mm f1.8 for $160...i met up with him, attached it to my camera, and took a couple shots...i thought about haggling for $20 off, but it was already a deal, so i just handed over the $160 and we both went on our ways...the whole meeting was probably less than 5 minutes

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Scoobert. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 24, 2017 23:40 |  #83

mikeassk wrote in post #18502658 (external link)
When selling something sellers get so "personal". It's odd to me. If I am selling something for 100$ and someone offers me 50$ it's a joke, however if selling something for 20,000$ and they offer 19,850$ it's sold. The percentage is more important than the actual dollars. This is also interesting. When someone says "what's your minimum", they are essentially asking for your no haggle final offer. It is actually quite common and reasonable. If you don't want to sell the item for an less than say firm, but I can tell you as a purchaser when I see "firm" I immediately lose interest.

This is exactly how I deal with trading forums.

If the seller says "firm" or anything to that effect unless its at the price I want I just move along.

If they dont, I will often ask what their minimum is is to get it sold right away. I am not asking to insult anybody, or get the item at half price. I am asking to save time with 4-6 back and forth messages haggling. I know how much I have to spend, and I know what the item is worth to me. I have researched and know what the going rate is for the item I am after. I am not after a price far less than market value, just a fair price for both of us. If the minimum is within that range I just ask for a paypal address, if its not I just say "its out of my budget, thanks for your time."
IMO its much less trouble and insulting than starting at some lowball offer just so we can spend the next 5 messages to reach the price you could have just said in the first message I sent asking for a minimum.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,205 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 25, 2017 02:06 |  #84

Scoobert wrote in post #18503608 (external link)
This is exactly how I deal with trading forums.

If the seller says "firm" or anything to that effect unless its at the price I want I just move along.

If they dont, I will often ask what their minimum is is to get it sold right away. I am not asking to insult anybody, or get the item at half price. I am asking to save time with 4-6 back and forth messages haggling. I know how much I have to spend, and I know what the item is worth to me. I have researched and know what the going rate is for the item I am after. I am not after a price far less than market value, just a fair price for both of us. If the minimum is within that range I just ask for a paypal address, if its not I just say "its out of my budget, thanks for your time."
IMO its much less trouble and insulting than starting at some lowball offer just so we can spend the next 5 messages to reach the price you could have just said in the first message I sent asking for a minimum.

You are exactly the kind of buyer this thread is about. If you've done your homework, and know what the item is worth, don't waste my time by asking what my minimum is. Make a reasonable offer. You know what it is worth. Offer that. Then we're done.

Tom

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,669 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MDJAK.
Nov 25, 2017 06:19 |  #85

Bassat wrote in post #18497299 (external link)
Well, not quite nothing. Six or seven hours out of my day, and 12 gallons of gas is at least something.

My Tesla uses zero gas, has zero emissions, and gets charged free at charging stations all over. And if I wasn’t driving there, I’d be doing something else that may be more or less interesting. I consider a road trip to a state I haven’t visited in over 25 years to be time well spent. Also, meeting someone for the first time from this forum I’ve done business with before only via the Internet is hardly time out of my day.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 25, 2017 11:20 |  #86

Bassat wrote in post #18503644 (external link)
You are exactly the kind of buyer this thread is about. If you've done your homework, and know what the item is worth, don't waste my time by asking what my minimum is. Make a reasonable offer. You know what it is worth. Offer that. Then we're done.

Your prices are usually really close to the value though Tom, imo that is not the norm.

Because MANY times the sellers have a MUCH higher value of the lens than its actually worth. They want more than market value, they want me to pay their 3% fee and they want me to pay to ship it. They want to start there.

If I offer them what its truly worth shipped, to them that's an insult. Instead I just ask what their minimum is to see if they are going to come back to reality.

My recent quest for 16-35 f4 has been a true example of this. I can get a brand new one from an authorized canon seller for $879.00 shipped. Yet most people want to start at $850, plus fees and plus shipping for their used one that is several years old. Yes I could pm them and say hey sell me this for $750 - $800 shipped because brand new ones are 880.00 and i can tell you from experience this is considered an insult and the replies are less than friendly.

Or I can just ask how low they are willing to go, it ends with much less unpleasantry .

pigpile34
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 25, 2017 11:40 |  #87

Scoobert wrote in post #18503824 (external link)
Your prices are usually really close to the value though Tom, imo that is not the norm.

Because MANY times the sellers have a MUCH higher value of the lens than its actually worth. They want more than market value, they want me to pay their 3% fee and they want me to pay to ship it. They want to start there.

If I offer them what its truly worth shipped, to them that's an insult. Instead I just ask what their minimum is to see if they are going to come back to reality.

My recent quest for 16-35 f4 has been a true example of this. I can get a brand new one from an authorized canon seller for $879.00 shipped. Yet most people want to start at $850, plus fees and plus shipping for their used one that is several years old. Yes I could pm them and say hey sell me this for $750 - $800 shipped because brand new ones are 880.00 and i can tell you from experience this is considered an insult and the replies are less than friendly.

Or I can just ask how low they are willing to go, it ends with much less unpleasantry .

You, as a buyer, can use the same logic though. Why, honestly, are you trying to negotiate with someone like that? Just buy the new one. Its a waste of time to deal with sellers who do that just as much as its a waste of time to deal with buyers. Camera equipment rarely sells for extreme deals. Right around market value is where it settles. If the one guy you are frustrated with won't lower then stop wasting your time and move on. He'll (she'll) find out soon enough that they are over priced.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 25, 2017 11:53 |  #88

pigpile34 wrote in post #18503830 (external link)
You, as a buyer, can use the same logic though. Why, honestly, are you trying to negotiate with someone like that? Just buy the new one. Its a waste of time to deal with sellers who do that just as much as its a waste of time to deal with buyers. Camera equipment rarely sells for extreme deals. Right around market value is where it settles. If the one guy you are frustrated with won't lower then stop wasting your time and move on. He'll (she'll) find out soon enough that they are over priced.

I dont waste my time, but you dont know how they are going to react until you send a PM. Then you find out they are insulted you would offer 125 less then they "think" its worth.

The whole idea of asking your minimum is to save all that frustration on both parts. If they send back a pm saying the minimum is $825, + fees + shipping then I just say thank you for your time and there is much less vile. Also IMO this is the majority of the people, not the rare outlier.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,205 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 25, 2017 15:31 |  #89

Scoobert wrote in post #18503824 (external link)

I certainly agree that a lot of sellers have no friggin' idea what their gear is worth. Example: If I come across a 7D (original) for $800, I just keep moving. No way that guy is going down to anything close to realistic. I price my items to actually sell. What I paid for them 1, 2, or 10 years ago is irrelevant, I am selling in TODAY's market. BTW, I've actually sold everything I've posted for sale. If you follow me at all, you know that is ton of gear. I consider myself the 'Talley' of consumer-grade used gear. I like to experiment.

Tom

daleg
Joined Aug 2013
Maryland, USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by daleg. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 25, 2017 21:00 as a reply to post 18472849 |  #90

(note - my reply was to Wilt's post asserting a common lack of negotiating skills. sorry I forgot to quote his post. hope this now makes a bit of sense).

exactly.

as the potential seller has already posted his/her asking price, I would expect an interested buyer to make an offer. at least that's my approach. then the seller can accept or decline. both of which do happen.

to argue with the seller in a misguided attempt to prove the seller "wrong" in his posted asking price would tempt this seller to raise his prices - to cover the aggravation and annoyance.

I know I do a considerable amount of work preparing to list gear. Often, I am including many accessories or items related to the main camera/lens/etc that I am listing. Then I attempt to value the condition of the gear I am listing vs. the condition of other similar items listed for sale. So, if I am offering a nicely accessorized item, in really nice condition, I feel less than compelled to match the lowest prices anywhere. Just sayin' ...

Right now, I am sitting on a substantial amount of gear (maybe a couple dozen lenses, a few cameras, a couple strobes, etc.) that I need to sell - as my shelf space is tight & our carpenter is recovering from a mild heart attack. I have been procrastinating for months - simply to postpone the agony of dealing with the noise and hassles of selling.

sadly, this pile of gear could be more useful to any number of other photogs - yet, as I don't need the money, I delay - as I sure don't need the hassle of dealing with posters who - for whatever reasons - honestly believe that it is my personal responsibility to provide first class gear at the absolute lowest prices that can be found anywhere on the internet.

can't wait!!!
dale

sponsored links

5,209 views & 42 likes for this thread
What is your minimum price? Drives me NUTS!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.