Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 12:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Location, Location, Location.

King ­ Kenny
Joined Dec 2016
La Haye du Puits: Normandy, France.
Oct 28, 2017 12:17 |  #1

It would be nice if people who post photographs in these forums would tell me where their imaged were taken. I see many wonderful photographs of amazing places but sometimes I have no idea where they were taken. I don’t mean exact coordinates but a short description telling me at least which country, city or town they were taken would be very helpful. It would add another dimension to the image and make my enjoyment complete.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 28, 2017 12:25 |  #2

Kind of at odds with your sig line, isn't it?

King Kenny wrote in post #18483197 (external link)

;)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

King ­ Kenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Oct 28, 2017 12:26 |  #3

Mmmm. Never thought of that !

Kenny

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 28, 2017 12:42 |  #4

King Kenny wrote in post #18483197 (external link)
It would be nice if people who post photographs in these forums would tell me where their imaged were taken . . . . a short description telling me at least which country, city or town they were taken would be very helpful.

In general, many folks who post images here don't provide a lot of the details that would give us insight into their images.

I don't understand why so many people are a bit "lazy" and don't feel like taking the time to write about the things that they share.

I come here to gain insight and to learn about photos and photo-taking, not to just look at something for a few seconds and then click or scroll to the next thing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by Capn Jack. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 28, 2017 12:52 |  #5

I thought the same thing...it would be nice, but I doubt it would be enforceable, and would annoy people if it were. Some people may wish to protect the information since even a general location might be sufficient to determine their favorite landscape shot, or where the particular animal(s) might be found.

For myself, if you follow my picture links to Flickr, you can see where most of my images were taken. I feel it may have value in the future to see how things have changed from the same viewpoint so images like these may be created:
https://www.nps.gov ...ltimedia/then-and-now.htm (external link), or these: https://www.flickr.com ...08168658/with/80889​62765/ (external link)

Changes in landscape pictures may have scientific value as well.

I suggest that, if you like a shot, merely ask the poster about the location.

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,177 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 28, 2017 13:07 |  #6

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18483216 (external link)
I don't understand why so many people are a bit "lazy" and don't feel like taking the time to write about the things that they share.

Is it laziness, really? The prevailing custom varies from one forum or thread to another. Locations are more likely to be identified in Bird Portraits than in Urban Fragments. Then there are concerns about privacy. Most of my shots in Urban Frags and Urban Candids, I take within walking distance of home. Anyone familiar enough with the area could close in on the neighborhood. I try to avoid street signs and such, but some commercial buildings are recognizable.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 28, 2017 19:48 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #7

I wasn't speaking of location info, specifically. I just meant that there seems to be a general dearth of information accompanying a large portion of the images that folks post here. . And you're right on target about how this can vary from one thread to another. . There are some threads where adding info isn't really pertinent (such as in the alphabet game thread), but there are other threads that seem to beg for background info, how-to instructions, or even just some aesthetic analysis. . I can't help but to think that I could usually learn more from images that have some detailed commentary accompanying them.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

King ­ Kenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Oct 29, 2017 07:42 |  #8

Nice comments. I always try to give some background information to my images posted here. I have travelled to various places and I thing the viewer will want to know where my photograph was taken. If you were showing your holiday photographs to friends they will often ask, "where was that taken?" and you would tell them. Many time I see a comment following an image asking if the photograph was taken at such and such a place. I too would be interested and think it is an integral part of showing an image. I agree it dose not distract from finished photograph or the skill involved in capturing the image, it is just nice to know.

Kenny

sponsored links

234 views & 6 likes for this thread
Location, Location, Location.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.