Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Oct 2017 (Friday) 17:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My 5DIII fell into a stream and died. I'm drowning in

johnnyproblems
Joined May 2011
Oct 27, 2017 17:23 |  #1

I took the most expensive photo of my life yesterday. I was doing some long exposure shots of a fresh water stream and had my 5d3, 24-105L, a 10 stop filter and remote as my equipment. I set up everything on the tripod, but one of the tripod legs was sitting on a mossy rock, so I watched closely for the first few exposures to make sure it didn't slip. About 4 shots in, I bent down to tighten my boot laces and I heard a crash. When I looked up, everything fell over and my camera was partially submerged in the stream. I jumped in immediately and grabbed the camera out of the water and began drying everything.

I trusted that the weather sealed lens, weather sealed body and filter on the end of the lens would give me hope. Not the case. "Err 80" emerged on the top screen and believing maybe the lens or SD card had been knocked loose, I began checking everything to make sure it was all in place.

At this point some of you may be screaming "Take out the !@#%$ battery!"

I was convinced that this water exposure would have minimal effect on a camera of this caliber. I was wrong. Eventually the error disappeared and nothing came on the screen. I went back to drying everything again and used the heat from the car to help out. After half an hour of drying off every piece I could reach, I slid the batter back in and nothing...The camera is currently sitting in a ziplock filled with silica gel packets and "Damp Rid" (its not touching the damp rid, I know that can damage metal) and I plan on putting it in a small room with a powerful dehumidifier overnight.

Questions:

1) I know it's a stretch and the battery was in the camera immediately following the event, but do any of you think that the dehumidification process listed above could resurrect my lifeless camera?

2) Canon instructed me to send it out (which I will), but can Canon really fix such a thing, or are they most likely going to tell me to enjoy my new paperweight?

3) If they do make such repairs, what's the typical ballpark price range?

[5DIII - 7D] My Xbox has a red ring...I guess its an L series Xbox.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,632 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 27, 2017 17:49 |  #2

1) It is possible, it was fresh water, so that is a plus, but there are still minerals in streams that could interfere with the electronics and PCBs inside. You will want probably a week or more in rice, desiccant, or other things before you attempt this again. The battery might be toast however. I wouldn't use that battery again personally. You don't need to risk a fire with a Li Ion battery while charging or storing it, and something in the electronics and connections inside go haywire.

2) Don't send it in until you are sure it is dried out and tested by you. I doubt you can do any more damage. The lens will undoubtedly have to be sent in though, otherwise you risk fungus and other stuff inside.

3) It simply depends on what all they find that has signs of water damage and corrosion. They will replace anything that looks like it could be a problem, I presume. They are not going to want to have to put more time in it later under warranty of their repair should something else happen. I would budget for around $500 or so for lens and body and insured shipping, maybe $500-700 to be safe.

Good luck!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 27, 2017 22:41 |  #3

johnnyproblems wrote in post #18482653 (external link)
I trusted that the weather sealed lens, weather sealed body and filter on the end of the lens would give me hope. Not the case. "Err 80" emerged on the top screen and believing maybe the lens or SD card had been knocked loose, I began checking everything to make sure it was all in place.

Weather sealed isn't even close to being the same as waterproof.
In fact weather sealed isn't much more than a marketing hook. I wouldn't use my 5DIII in the rain for any length of time without a plastic rain cover. There have been plenty of cases of weather sealed cameras failing after use in the rain... and water damage is not covered in the warranty.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 27, 2017 22:51 |  #4

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18482829 (external link)
In fact weather sealed isn't much more than a marketing hook. I wouldn't use my 5DIII in the rain for any length of time without a plastic rain cover. There have been plenty of cases of weather sealed cameras failing after use in the rain... and water damage is not covered in the warranty.

I recall when my Canon 5D mk ii and 24-105mm froze after being in light rain some years ago. On my way out of the redwood park, I held it in front of my dash vents with heat on high / full fan, and rotated every few minutes. Eventually it dried and worked, but I learned that it's certainly not waterproof.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 27, 2017 23:18 |  #5

When my then new 5Dc was deemed to have water damage, it was a $850 repair. It's hard to factor an exact dollar amount it might be to fix, because there's possible remnants of corrosion anywhere. But it will become apparent after your camera dries out. Hopefully there isn't corrosion and it will work. For now, do what you suggest and then see if there is any response. Corrosion shows after water has dried off and left salts/minerals that effect conductive properties/short circuits. When I got the replaced parts and repaired camera back, I saw that the corrosion was actually from a very small bead of sweat that had formed on the main board and also shorted a connector and circuit around the pentaprism housing. They sent the original top of the camera and main board along with repaired camera. I insisted on getting the original parts back because I couldn't believe there was water damage (it wound up being a bead of sweat had seeped under the LCD display and was a tiny pin prick worth of corrosion on the PCB). If it isn't responsive, then you'll have to decide if it's worth it to get a repair estimate/ repair done. It may still be worth it to fix, especially if shutter count isn't too high.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,215 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Oct 28, 2017 09:33 |  #6

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18482829 (external link)
In fact weather sealed isn't much more than a marketing hook. ... and water damage is not covered in the warranty.

Absolutely, and this is because there is a complete difference between droplets of water striking the case and running around (not under pressure) around the various inlets, and submersion.

When the camera is submerged, even by a handful of centimeters, the water is against the seal uniformly and it is under some positive pressure. That's a whole lot harder to seal. A truly waterproof camera (for submersion) would not just be more expensive, it would be a different design. No rotating joints for one thing (the mode dial, the quick control dial etc.). You lose the diopter adjustor. Bigger, stiffer buttons. And zoom and focus control would need to be electronic. The current rotating interface would be a nightmare to seal.

I generally agree with Dan - I tend to feel kind of skeptical of these camera makers who tout their weather sealing so much and yet expressly exclude water damage from warranty. But I also get their problem. If they cover water damage, they have no way of telling the difference between a camera exposed to rain, and one that was dropped in a creek.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Oct 28, 2017 11:01 |  #7

Weather seal is not for diving. It is for dust and moisture.

Canon will strip down camera and lens to make sure it is dry and replace damaged components after inspection if necessary. It is a lot of hand work and it is not going to be cheap. But it is worth it, IMO.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 28, 2017 11:14 |  #8

Time to jump to Sony!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 28, 2017 11:25 |  #9

Insurance should replace it. It did have its own insurance?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 28, 2017 11:48 |  #10

Continue drying the camera as you are doing. It might be worthwhile checking to make sure the silica gel is in the dry state, because if it has been exposed to air for a while it might already have absorbed all the water it can. You can regenerate it in the oven.

Sometimes all you need to do is put the camera (with lens off and battery door open) in a dry place with some air movement. Some warmth would help. It could take a long time to dry, because there are lots of nooks and crannies inside a camera that will hold water. It could take days or weeks. But many people report electronics like wet phones and cameras springing to life again after a long period of drying.

I can't imagine any harm coming to the battery chemistry because its innards are sealed. The battery has a chip, though, and it would need to be dried.

If water got into the lens, it might well leave stains and traces of deposits on the glass, and you would want to have that cleaned. But if hardly any water got in, you might be lucky and it will not be an issue.

So basically, if it was me, I would just let it sit for a few days giving it a good chance to dry and hope for the best, before doing anything else.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

johnnyproblems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2011
Oct 29, 2017 14:45 |  #11

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes I've learned the hard way that the weather sealing doesn't do much past a light drizzle. So heres an update....good news is that the dehumidification process appeared to bring the camera back to life.....somewhat. After putting it in a small room with the dehumidifier on full blast for about 12 hours, I slid a battery in and it turned on! The screens appear to be working, however it won't register that a lens is attached. I've tried four different lenses and I get the same "Err 01" message that states that there is a communication issue between the lens and camera contact. So it appears that the camera still needs to go out, but it doesn't appear that the camera is totaled.

MatrixBlackRock
35 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Oct 29, 2017 16:24 |  #12

johnnyproblems wrote in post #18484037 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes I've learned the hard way that the weather sealing doesn't do much past a light drizzle. So heres an update....good news is that the dehumidification process appeared to bring the camera back to life.....somewhat. After putting it in a small room with the dehumidifier on full blast for about 12 hours, I slid a battery in and it turned on! The screens appear to be working, however it won't register that a lens is attached. I've tried four different lenses and I get the same "Err 01" message that states that there is a communication issue between the lens and camera contact. So it appears that the camera still needs to go out, but it doesn't appear that the camera is totaled.

Keep the battery out and get it back to Canon ASAP, they can tear it down and ultrasonically clean the circuit boards and maybe recover the unit, if not, they more than likely replace with a rebuilt for a decent price.

johnnyproblems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2011
Oct 29, 2017 17:06 as a reply to MatrixBlackRock's post |  #13

Will do. Thanks for the advice! Just as things were looking up, my roof began to leak in the middle of a storm.....water appears to be my biggest enemy this week. vmad

sponsored links

2,639 views & 1 like for this thread
My 5DIII fell into a stream and died. I'm drowning in
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.