Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

switching to fuji - wireless flash question/red beam assist

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,872 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
Post has been last edited 24 days ago by kaitanium. 10 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2017 16:21 |  #16

Yes i will be buying a XT2 when prices drop when the rumored XT2s comes out. I just wanted to get as much opinion and thoughts as im not going to go in willy nilly and waste rental or purchase money if it just doesnt stack up to user reviews. But since from what ive seen, reviews are 50/50, i think its a good bet to go out and get one to try. Now if the majority were saying no, then that be a different story. Two Hot Shoes has said that the cam works decently with Godox's red AF beam so thats the go-ahead for me. I may pickup the EFx500 anyways too. I dont really care about the white light. I rather get my shot than to worry about annoying people. It is annoying i agree however.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18483738 (external link)
There is no mirrorless camera that can use IRAF assist, even your Canon DSLR cannot use it in live view. The best you can get is Godox's red AF laser assist. That works OK and I've found the TT685f to be reliable, in the limited time I've used it.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say "OK"? Does that mean, its just ok? Or is ok = excellent or does ok mean it works sometimes but not all the time? Does ok mean good? Any reason you didnt go for the li-ion 860 version?

If in case i need to stick with 2 systems ill probably just hold onto my x100T or upgrade to whatever the equivalent is with flip out screen if fuji ever does it. I dont want another interchangeable lens system. That or ill seriously start considering the canon m5 + adapter to EF (blah). Sidenote, i shot at iso 3200 the other day in a very dark setting and the pics on the x100T are incredible still. I could have never done that with my omd! Fuji is FOR SURE my travel camera of choice. Now if I can say fuji is my work camera of choice that would be doubly awesome.

I also have no tolerance for AF issues when working a hired event. I agree with you Alan that the canons are spot on fast, reliable, and accurate. The 5D2 was a godsend when i finally upgraded from my 5dc years ago. I havent actually noticed a difference going from my 5d2 to 5d3 however. I mostly went with the 5d3 upgrade because of better low light capabilities. I used to use the 5d3 with 50mm f1.2 and another 5d3 with 35mm f1.4 but have since sold the 35 and gotten a 16-35mk3 to consolidate my 35 and 16-35mk1. Less junk in the bag but also dont want to go all zoom either. This setup is blazing accurate and fast like you said. Whatever system that replaces the canon has some big shoes to fill.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 24 days ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Oct 29, 2017 18:26 |  #17

kaitanium wrote in post #18484105 (external link)
Can you expand on what you mean when you say "OK"? Does that mean, its just ok? Or is ok = excellent or does ok mean it works sometimes but not all the time? Does ok mean good? Any reason you didnt go for the li-ion 860 version?

If in case i need to stick with 2 systems ill probably just hold onto my x100T or upgrade to whatever the equivalent is with flip out screen if fuji ever does it. I dont want another interchangeable lens system. That or ill seriously start considering the canon m5 + adapter to EF (blah). Sidenote, i shot at iso 3200 the other day in a very dark setting and the pics on the x100T are incredible still. I could have never done that with my omd! Fuji is FOR SURE my travel camera of choice. Now if I can say fuji is my work camera of choice that would be doubly awesome.

The beam fires when the EV is too low, YMMV. I think it is good enough. Didn't go the 860 route as I have a large bag full of AA batteries and the cost of the flash compared to the TT685 was almost twice the price. The flashes are the same as far as I know other then the power & I haven't run out of power yet in any AA powered speedlight if I did I'd get the 860.

I shot the two systems side by side for for about a year before I decided I could drop the 5D3's in favour of the mirrorless. You can read a lot of things on the internet alright but make up your own mind from your own experience is the best you can do. A lot of people just regurgitate what they have read someone else writing about even if that person has little or no experience in what they say.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

655 views & 5 likes for this thread
switching to fuji - wireless flash question/red beam assist
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.