Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 07 Aug 2017 (Monday) 02:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gear payback point

inmybubble
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Aug 07, 2017 02:39 |  #1

Hi guys,

I have a question about new gear and how fast should it break even. For example: If I invest 2000€ into new gear, how fast should I earn the money back? Should it be in 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year? Even longer? At what point will it be profitable and just not another expense that will drain my bank account.

Are there some guidelines or good practises? Tried to google it but probably I'm not using correct terminology as I didn't find anything useful.

Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,024 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 07, 2017 05:37 |  #2

inmybubble wrote in post #18421017 (external link)
Hi guys,

I have a question about new gear and how fast should it break even. For example: If I invest 2000€ into new gear, how fast should I earn the money back? Should it be in 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year? Even longer? At what point will it be profitable and just not another expense that will drain my bank account.

Are there some guidelines or good practises? Tried to google it but probably I'm not using correct terminology as I didn't find anything useful.

That's a bit like asking "How long's a piece of string?"

It all depends on how many paid jobs you do in any given timescale. How much you charge, and what your profit margin is. Only YOU know the answer to that.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Aug 07, 2017 05:40 |  #3

Yeah, you have to calculate your Return On Investment (ROI) based on sales that you anticipate with the equipment that you will need for the job. Each photographer will have a different ROI. Some may pay for their gear in 4 or 6 months while another may pay it off in 12 months, 18 months, etc.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

inmybubble
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post has been edited 3 months ago by inmybubble.
Aug 07, 2017 07:26 |  #4

Naturalist wrote in post #18421043 (external link)
Yeah, you have to calculate your Return On Investment (ROI) based on sales that you anticipate with the equipment that you will need for the job. Each photographer will have a different ROI. Some may pay for their gear in 4 or 6 months while another may pay it off in 12 months, 18 months, etc.

Okay, that's what I was wondering about - is it totally different for everyone or are there some guidelines :D (like in investing, buying apartment etc.)
It's not like I was looking for an answer like "6 months and if it takes longer, you shouldn't invest". Quite often those technicalities are left without attention and there are almost no discussion about them. So it is interesting to see peoples thoughts about it.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 25, 2017 11:20 |  #5

I calculate in ROI the factor of "income not lost" as well. For instance, if I'm suffering a bottleneck or operational failures for lack of certain equipment that have cost me money, then money not lost because of the acquisition of that equipment is part of the ROI.

These days, having settled on what kind of photography I want to do, ROI has become more a matter of maintaining capability.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Jun 2005
La Verne, Cali
Oct 25, 2017 12:38 |  #6

Different types of gear will have different payback periods, and different longevity.

Buying off-camera lighting might last you 4 to 8 years. But you may not use them on every shoot.
Buying a good quality lens will last you 5 to 10 years. Depending on the lens, these will probably get the most use.
Buying a good quality body will last you 2 to 3 years. You can't take a photo without a body, but whether this is your primary body or your secondary / backup will matter.

In each scenario, I would approach the purchase differently. By all means, don't put yourself into debt without having a plan to recoup the money. If you have one body and are committing to shoot a wedding, then you absolutely need to have a second body to cover your ass and protect the potential income. If you already have a short, medium, and long lens, and you want some sort of niche or artsy style lens because there's one shot that you want to try and get with that lens, then absolutely hold off on the purchase until you're in a better financial state.

When I bought my first DSLR, I got it at Best Buy and was given a 1 year same-as-cash financing plan. I paid $100 per month, every month, deducted from my freelance earnings, and paid it off on time. Some months I made $300, other months I made $1,500. But I made sure that the first $100 I made went straight to the camera. Other revenue went to some extra lenses, a flash, and some other accessories. 1 year later, I had a fully paid off kit, and continued to grow my revenue stream. I went into debt with a specific plan, stuck to that plan, and have been set ever since.

More than 10 years later, I am still earning good side money from photography and freelance work. It's not my main gig, but it's enough to report to the tax guy.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 25, 2017 12:50 |  #7

There have been two purchases in my history that had a dramatic impact on my income, essentially because they immediately and significantly increased my range of products.

The first was my first medium format film camera--a Yashicamat TLR--back in 1972. That enabled me to shoot weddings, which really couldn't be done seriously with 35mm at the time.

The second was the Canon 5D, which freed me from medium format film, and made it economical for me to offer large enlargements to a greater variety of customers for whom the process of carrying much more camera gear, developing film and producing proofs, and all that falderal (which had gotten worse as local film processors closed down) hadn't been worth it.

In both cases, the cameras paid for themselves within a couple of months, fastest of any other major equipment I've ever bought.

MatrixBlackRock
31 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Oct 29, 2017 16:44 |  #8

Hi guys,

Find out what the tax regulation in your country allow for deprecation of the gear you are working with, in order to stay in the black you breakeven of the cost of that equipment should be within 30 to 50% of the deprecation time.

Anything more than that and you are investing too much money for too little return.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 29, 2017 18:03 |  #9

I have a question about new gear and how fast should it break even. For example: If I invest 2000€ into new gear, how fast should I earn the money back? Should it be in 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year? Even longer?

It seems odd for the goal of a photography business to be paying off the photo gear.

Typically, there are so many more expenses to consider than just the gear. . Furthermore, a business's goal is normally to produce a steady, sustainable flow of income that results in a net profit, not to buy off one of the things that it had to buy to get started.

In fact, the whole way you asked the question seems to come from a hobbyist/"guy with camera" perspective, rather than from a business owner's perspective.

I don't think that you should worry about - or even think about - some "buyback point" for your camera and lens, because it is such a small, trivial thing. . Rather, think about all of the much more important things that photography business owners have to deal with, such as procuring and retaining steady revenue streams, developing a good working relationship with an accountant, a lawyer, and an insurance agent (or working directly with an insurance company, sans agent), branding, marketing, streamlining your workflow, sourcing additional help when needed, etc.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 29, 2017 18:29 |  #10

I've probably spent $20,000+ on gear in the last 10 years; most of it was used or refurbished. At least 1/2 of that has been re-sold. I'm never going to make a nickel from my photography. It's all good. That was never the point. I don't make any money off my golf game, or my piano playing, either.

Tom

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,959 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Oct 30, 2017 08:17 |  #11

Depending on tax laws in your country, I would be seeking the advice of a tax professional to see how business expenses can be deducted and or depreciated. Then I would probably view a purchase as mentioned by RDKirk. Don't buy something because you may need it, buy it because it is costing you money not having it.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Wilt.
Oct 30, 2017 13:06 |  #12

Return On Investment is a very different beast than Business Equipment Deduction period on tax returns.

You might have a 7 year write-off on business equipment on taxes, even though the stuff is totally OVERHEAD in having a business or even if the stuff did truly 'pay for itself' in 6 months ROI!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gear payback point
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.