Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Mar 2015 (Sunday) 01:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

500mm F4 Lens Hood - Wedge attachment / screw Lock

ies ­ photos
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006
A Manc in Sarf London, UK
Mar 08, 2015 01:51 |  #1

My 500mm F4 lens hood screw lock has broken, the metal wedge has fallen off and been lost. The metal screw its still in place. Is there a replacement part that can be ordered as it looks like you can remove the locking section with 2 screws.

www.iesphotography.co.​ukexternal link
London Maternity and Newborn Photographerexternal link
500pxexternal link Flickrexternal link
Blogexternal link

sponsored links
Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,694 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Mar 08, 2015 09:51 |  #2

If my memory serves me, Canon only sells the complete hood, and it is a rip off.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 08, 2015 16:51 |  #3

No problem - just give Colchester Cameras a ring. I had a similar problem with my Canon 300 F2.8 L IS (same part number I believe) as was directed to them by Canon UK.
Now the bad news! The part is ridiculously expensive, though a LOT less than a new hood! They are 60+ pounds! Secondly go carefully with the securing screws. Although a Phillips screwdriver will fit, and probably, work you do not get new screws with the new screw lock - I think they are a JIS(?) type head which is very similar to Phillips but not identical. On my 300 F2.8 the screws were in there very solidly and I could not shift them! I ended up grinding the heads off the 2 screws to remove the broken screw lock. This was not a total loss as I found that the Imperial thread screws used to secure the cartridge to the arm of a record player are a perfect fit - unfortunately I no longer have any spares as I gave them to a local photographer with a similar problem with his 500 F4 L IS! Though you local Hi Fi shop should be able to help if you have to wreck the existing screws.
For the future - this problem may re-occur. When you get the new part check the tiny cir-clip that retains (and retracts) the black wedge, that locks the hood onto the lens, is a secure fit. In the case of my 300mm this had fallen off allowing the locking wedge to escape, probably what happened to you? If the cir-clip feels a little loose then remove it (fiddly and best done inside a plastic bag so you don't loose it!) and pinch it up slightly with a pliers, that will make it less likely to escape!
I hope that lot made sense! Any problems/queries PM me.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ies ­ photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006
A Manc in Sarf London, UK
Mar 09, 2015 10:16 |  #4

Thanks guys, I called canon and they directed me at Hlermann, so I've emailed them photos as they asked. If I get nothing back I'll give Colchester Cameras a call too. Cheers for the tips on the screwhead types.

www.iesphotography.co.​ukexternal link
London Maternity and Newborn Photographerexternal link
500pxexternal link Flickrexternal link
Blogexternal link

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Mar 10, 2015 05:34 |  #5

My cir-clip has broken and fallen out and so far I have not found an exact match that is quite as strong as the Canon one. Fortunately I still have the wedge.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 10, 2015 18:12 |  #6

I think (from memory) the size is somewhere between 1.3 and 1.6 mm. If you have a Vernier Caliper you can measure it quite easily, remember to measure the grove not the shaft diameter, and then just order a bunch of similar size cir-clips fro fleabay.
If you are lucky enough to have an engineering/toolmaker locally then they will give you the size in seconds and may well have something to fit.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Emerald Coast, FL
Dec 17, 2015 22:13 |  #7

I can't find the metric sizes locally but did get a 1/16" from a boat repair shop but it didn't fit without getting all bent out of shape. The metric kits I see online all show a 1.2 and 1.5mm in the e-ring clip smallest size. Mine was mangled but stuck in my mechanism which prevented the wedge from falling out. You can see it in the second picture.
Sending to CPS repair and hoping they fix it for free.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lostexternal link
Gear list and some feedback

Anant
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 30, 2017 03:27 as a reply to ChunkyDA's post |  #8

Very usefull for me

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Oct 30, 2017 14:18 |  #9

Anant wrote in post #18484449 (external link)
Very usefull for me

You may want to read through this thread as well then.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​960834

sponsored links

2,676 views & 1 like for this thread
500mm F4 Lens Hood - Wedge attachment / screw Lock
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.