Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 24 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 15:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Deleting original posted image, but copies of the image when quoted remain

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Aug 24, 2017 15:09 |  #1

A member recently deleted an image in one of the photo sharing threads, but because I had quoted that post the copy of the image remained viewable and expandable in my quote. I've since removed the copy of the image from my quote, so there's no immediate action needed. But I wonder if there's a way to code for this circumstance, so that when the original author deletes an image AMASS will automatically delete copies of the image from subsequent quotes. Is this feasible? Or is there some scenario where that type of functionality would be undesirable? Thanks in advance.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 27, 2017 15:17 |  #2

PineBomb wrote in post #18436052 (external link)
A member recently deleted an image in one of the photo sharing threads, but because I had quoted that post the copy of the image remained viewable and expandable in my quote. I've since removed the copy of the image from my quote, so there's no immediate action needed. But I wonder if there's a way to code for this circumstance, so that when the original author deletes an image AMASS will automatically delete copies of the image from subsequent quotes. Is this feasible? Or is there some scenario where that type of functionality would be undesirable? Thanks in advance.

If there is a "broken" embedded image in your quote, edit the post (don't need to change anything) and then submit the edit. The post will then be scanned and broken images get replaced by error message icon + explanatory text. You can verify result of that image check process by reloading the page after a moment.

If there is a copy of YOUR embedded image tag in other posts (as quotes), you can report the posts and mods can force an aforementioned image check process for those posts.

For uploaded photos that "bad image removal" process is automatic.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 20 days ago by Tom Reichner.
Oct 30, 2017 15:02 |  #3

PineBomb wrote in post #18436052 (external link)

I think that it's great that it works this way. . Why? . Well, I often quote people so that there is a record of what they wrote, or of the image they posted, in the case that they delete it or edit it. . I don't like it when things disappear, and all too often the thing that I want to remain gets removed by he who posted it. . So I use quoting to kind of keep things from getting taken down.

If it was programmed to work the way that you suggest, then we wouldn't be able to keep a record of what someone posted, and if they decide to delete it then it would truly be lost forever.

I also keep screenshots of things that people post, just in case mods delete something. . This is usually done in the case of controversial posts, or images that are "sensitive" in some way or another. . If I have reason to think that a moderator or the posting member will remove something, then I quickly save a screen capture of the questionable content, so that it is not lost forever.

I guess at heart I am a historian, and I think that once something exists, it should always remain, so that all of mankind can refer to it if they so desire. . And hence I am continually saving things, so that they are always able to be referred to. . I have an immense collection of screenshots of POTN members' avatars, titles, and signatures, just so that whenever I wonder, "what did so-and-so's title used to be?" I have a means of looking it up and finding out.

I am quite a POTN historian, and very often go back and look at posts from the very first days of POTN.......in much the same way that a political historian would go back and review documents that past presidents wrote, or social historians would go back and look at high school yearbooks, etc. . The history of POTN is fascinating to me, and I try to archive as much POTN content as I possibly can.

So many of the images from those very old posts have disappeared, and that is very sad. . If only people would attach images, instead of using links to host sites, then the post record would be much more intact than it is. . I think that we must all work to protect the content that is here at POTN, especially the very early stuff.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deleting original posted image, but copies of the image when quoted remain
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.