Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 22 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 21:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens Question

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Phoenixkh.
Oct 28, 2017 14:53 |  #31

RodS57 wrote in post #18483296 (external link)
Due to recent price changes I'm gonna narrow the lens options to just the 100-400 + TC. Not the 200-400 but close. :-) per recent posts anyway. so that give me the 70-300L and the 100-400, at least if I make the jump. Now if I had a dollar for everyone here with the 100-400 that sold the 70-300. LOL

Rod

I started with the 70-300L and a 15-85 with a 60D for a camera body. I still have the 70-300L. I know I should sell it.. but it's only worth half what I paid for it and I got some great photos with it. I'm still trying to get my wife to try it this coming Spring when we go out to the bird rookeries here in Florida. It is much better than her 55-250 STM, though it sure weighs a lot more.

If she doesn't end up using it, I'll "loan" it to our youngest son........... again. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links
RodS57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 28, 2017 21:00 |  #32

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18483305 (external link)
I started with the 70-300L and a 15-85 with a 60D for a camera body. I still have the 70-300L. I know I should sell it.. but it's only worth half of what I paid for it and I got some great photos with it. I'm still trying to get my wife to try it this coming Spring when we go out to the bird rookeries here in Florida. It is much better than her 55-250 STM, though it sure weighs a lot more.

If she doesn't end up using it, I'll "loan" it to our youngest son........... again. ;)

I haven't been able to get either of my two daughters interested in photography. They have both had cameras but can't move away from the ever present phone camera. Glad your boy is interested in a real camera. He will understand 40 years from now.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Tom Reichner.
Oct 28, 2017 23:03 |  #33

RodS57 wrote in post #18480015 (external link)
In other news kawi_200 in Washington, USA has offered to let me check out his gear and you, in Wales has done the same. I'm in Labrador, so pretty much in the middle of you two and a long drive no matter which way you slice the pie.

I will gladly let you use my gear for a couple of days, if you're able to drive down to --- sometime over the course of the next month.

I have a Canon 400 f2.8 IS and a Sigma 300-800 f5.6 (the latest "DG" version). . I also have a Canon 100-400mm version 2 that you're welcome to use with and without a 1.4 extender. . Heck, I'll even put you up for a couple of days, as my lodging is more spacious than I need.

I'd love to learn more about Labrador and the wildlife opportunities that you have up there.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Oct 29, 2017 02:21 |  #34

RodS57 wrote in post #18483033 (external link)
Where to start?
Due to my location my best option is retail so version is always what's available which is usually the newest.

Your 200-400 vs the 100-400 vs price. Is it worth the price difference was part of my original post in reference to 300 F2.8 and the 100-400. I am sort of flying blind here, I can't see, touch or try any of this gear, hence this thread.

I'll try to explain from a different angle: I had looked at the 400 F5.6L, from info I've found it was released in 1993 at 1349 USD; today it goes for 1149 USD ... not paying that for a 25 year old design.

As of Thursday the price of the 100-400 v2 is about 150 USD below release price. So that one just jumped to the top of the list. It also helps to decide when you consider that the price of the 300 F2.8 just climbed by $1k CAD so it's off the table.

Will continue to window shop.

Rod

Well, if your not able to buy second hand and the new version 300 and 500 are out of budget your really only left with the one option.

The 100-400 II is a great lens. I just had mine out at an airshow today. I could have taken the 200-400, or 600 or 300 but the 100-400 II was just so much easier today.

Gear List

RodS57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 29, 2017 20:03 |  #35

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18483599 (external link)
I will gladly let you use my gear for a couple of days, if you're able to drive down to North Dakota or Colorado sometime over the course of the next month.

I have a Canon 400 f2.8 IS and a Sigma 300-800 f5.6 (the latest "DG" version). . I also have a Canon 100-400mm version 2 that you're welcome to use with and without a 1.4 extender. . Heck, I'll even put you up for a couple of days, as my lodging is more spacious than I need.

I'd love to learn more about Labrador and the wildlife opportunities that you have up there.

Not a trip I can make but thanks for the offer. Sounds fantastic.

Labrador: hard to explain. Hundreds of miles of nothing in all directions. Only one road and my range is usually only a mile or two on either side of that road. There are times I imagine I am the first person to stand in a particular spot.

Rod

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 29, 2017 20:42 |  #36

RodS57 wrote in post #18484262 (external link)
Labrador: hard to explain. Hundreds of miles of nothing in all directions. Only one road and my range is usually only a mile or two on either side of that road. There are times I imagine I am the first person to stand in a particular spot.

Rod

Hey, Rod

I always think of Caribou and Brook Trout when I think of Labrador.........and of course the now-extinct Labrador Duck. Do you have decent opportunities to photograph Caribou within a few hours of your location? How about Black Bear?

And I'd love to know what opportunities Labrador has to offer with respect to the smaller mammals, such as Hares and Lemmings.

And game birds - particularly Ptarmigan and Spruce Grouse - any populations of these species within a few hours of you?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

RodS57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 30, 2017 10:52 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18484288 (external link)
Hey, Rod

I always think of Caribou and Brook Trout when I think of Labrador.........and of course the now-extinct Labrador Duck. Do you have decent opportunities to photograph Caribou within a few hours of your location? How about Black Bear?

And I'd love to know what opportunities Labrador has to offer with respect to the smaller mammals, such as Hares and Lemmings.

And game birds - particularly Ptarmigan and Spruce Grouse - any populations of these species within a few hours of you?

To address your inquiries by the species you mention

Caribou - I have seen caribou within 5 miles of my house but not recently. In the past 25 years the George river herd has gone from an estimated 800,000 animals to 25,000 animals so sightings are rare. Also, migration route is about 100 miles away.

Trout - fly fishing is my prime summer pastime. Quality is probably very dependent on what you are used to and your expectations.

Bears - yes, not unusual to see them in town

The other animals and birds you mention - everywhere I'm not usually

Rod

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 30, 2017 18:27 |  #38

RodS57 wrote in post #18484644 (external link)
Caribou - I have seen caribou within 5 miles of my house but not recently. In the past 25 years the George river herd has gone from an estimated 800,000 animals to 25,000 animals so sightings are rare. Also, migration route is about 100 miles away.

Thanks for your thoughtful answers, Rod - that's appreciated.

It must be awesome to have a Caribou migration route just 100 miles from home! . Do you get over along the route to shoot the migrating caribou annually? . If so, I'm sure you have many stories to tell!

RodS57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
Oct 30, 2017 18:50 |  #39

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18484962 (external link)
Thanks for your thoughtful answers, Rod - that's appreciated.

It must be awesome to have a Caribou migration route just 100 miles from home! . Do you get over along the route to shoot the migrating caribou annually? . If so, I'm sure you have many stories to tell!

The migration route actually crosses our one highway. It always attracted a large number of hunters and to be honest it never occurred to me to drive that distance for a look-see. My few encounters where always enjoyable but I never had a camera with me so no pictures.

Rod

sponsored links

7,408 views & 6 likes for this thread
Lens Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.