Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 21:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Volunteering through photography

Marell
101 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Nov 08, 2013 13:51 |  #181

I volunteered for Kitchener Ontario's Run for the Cure on my birthday on October 6th 2013. It was probably one of the most emotional memorable rewarding birthdays I have ever had.

I think I'm going to do this every year.

sponsored links
Scud49
Joined Dec 2012
Arcadia, Indiana
Dec 06, 2013 15:03 |  #182

Hi - wonderful thread. If anyone knows of any needed volunteer work in central Indiana where I could help with my camera, please let me know.

Canon 5DS-R
Canon 24-70MM II
Canon 180MM f/3.5 Macro
Canon 100-400MM IS II
Canon 500MM f/4 IS II

eNTiTy
100 posts
Joined May 2014
Texas, USA
May 30, 2014 15:15 |  #183

Thanks for starting this thread. Having an interest or hobby that can contribute to good causes makes it so much more enjoyable.

Scud49 wrote in post #16506945external link
Hi - wonderful thread. If anyone knows of any needed volunteer work in central Indiana where I could help with my camera, please let me know.

The Special Olympic event in the US is held each year. Check your local state for their Summer & Winter events' locations and schedules.

For Indiana: http://www.specialolym​pics.org ...Indiana.aspx#.U4jmT​bUo6cwexternal link

Official N. America site & list of other states:
http://www.specialolym​pics.org ...rica.aspx?source=ho​mepageexternal link

Entity = NTT = Natalie
6D | 40D | 17-35 f/2.8L USM | 24-70 f/2.8L USM | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 24-105 f/4L IS USM | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 MkI | 85 f/1.8 USM | 70-210 f/4 (1st gen-can't seem to let it go :o) | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

shumicpi
24 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Bangladesh
Jun 25, 2014 04:12 |  #184

Its a very effective and noble idea. Really feeling pleasure to see your post.

briser_fae_the_broch
Joined Apr 2012
Fraserburgh, NE Scotland
Jul 18, 2014 07:40 |  #185

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to come along to a 24-hour Cancer charity outdoor event at a sports park, it included all sorts of fun events, Tug-of-war, Zumba, Wipeout, Penalty shootout, fancy dress, etc etc and there were thousands of people turned up as well as teams and stalls etc.
There were many people who wore "Survivor" T-shirts (some who did very emotive speeches), carers, family, etc and in the end they raised over £200,000.
Probably the best day out taking photos I have ever had and later when going through my pics to select ones for editing, looking through all the faces I found tears in my eyes.
There were 4 of us (myself and 3 women photographers I know) taking snaps around the event, I only took about 400 shots and handed over 140 of the best ones edited on DVD.
I have already been told they would like me to do it again next year and to be honest, I am really looking forward to it.

Made a fine change from chasing wildlife or looking for landscape shots.

Currently have Canon EOS 40D, 7D, 7D mkii
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DO, Nifty 50mm F1.8, 55-250 IS II, EF 70-300 IS USM, EF 70-200 F4L, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 100-400L mki, EF 100-400L mkii, Samyang f2.8 14mm AS IF ED UFC, EF 17-40 F4L, Canon 430 EX ii Speedlite
My Flickr... http://www.flickr.com/​photos/16160051@N06 (external link)

Tanya ­ De ­ Leeuw
Goldmember
4,260 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Sea To Sky Corridor, BC, Canada
Jul 18, 2014 12:54 |  #186

briser_fae_the_broch wrote in post #17039341external link
A couple of weeks ago I was asked to come along to a 24-hour Cancer charity outdoor event at a sports park, it included all sorts of fun events, Tug-of-war, Zumba, Wipeout, Penalty shootout, fancy dress, etc etc and there were thousands of people turned up as well as teams and stalls etc.
There were many people who wore "Survivor" T-shirts (some who did very emotive speeches), carers, family, etc and in the end they raised over £200,000.
Probably the best day out taking photos I have ever had and later when going through my pics to select ones for editing, looking through all the faces I found tears in my eyes.
There were 4 of us (myself and 3 women photographers I know) taking snaps around the event, I only took about 400 shots and handed over 140 of the best ones edited on DVD.
I have already been told they would like me to do it again next year and to be honest, I am really looking forward to it.

Made a fine change from chasing wildlife or looking for landscape shots.

Sounds like it was a wonderful, worthwhile event to get involved in! Well done!

Tanya De Leeuw
Facebookexternal link - Smugmugexternal link - Blogexternal link
Constructive comments are most appreciated!
Now: 1D Mark IV, 7D + 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L

wto203
Joined Nov 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Jan 17, 2015 22:05 |  #187

I recently did a shoot for a cat rescue and it went well. Everyone there was very nice and extremely grateful. The contact even gave me updates of the cats I shot with one of being adopted after they posted her photos. I'm a sucker for animals so I might keep going with more animal non profits for a bit.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.” - Alan Moore

Aki78
Joined Jun 2006
New Hampshire USA
Jan 20, 2015 14:11 |  #188

I volunteer for the Special Olympics as well. If there are any events close by I just ask if they need a photographer. Funny thing with these volunteering thing is that I want to shoot but they are so shocked someone will do so without money. Wellllll I love photos so it's a win/win situation IMO. I also do a community photography where I donate 50% of all proceeds. Gotta help out the community while covering some expenses.

Local rescue organization is something I started doing free photography for. People love it because later on they want to get portraits done of their family and the words quickly spread.

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Feb 04, 2015 17:20 |  #189

I have been providing my photography services as a volunteer for the American Cancer Society at many of their events, most at the request of the Society. My wife is a cancer survivor and this is a way that I can give back to the many wonderful things this organization provides in the Syracuse, New York area. I enjoy doing it and meet lots of nice folks.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

jforget1
267 posts
Joined May 2005
West Greenwich, RI
Jan 17, 2016 17:10 |  #190

I am the organizer for a group that does the polar plunge every year on New Year's Day in Newport RI. We just completed our 10th event a few weeks ago and it was a huge success. Each year we raise money for charity, and 2017 is no exception. Right now we are most likely going to raise money for the Make a Wish foundation.

One of the things I am hoping to improve for next year is the photography & videography of the event. We always have people taking random pictures, but the results are always kind of mixed. Especially when it comes to the video. The camerawork is always shaky and it's never what you're looking to get for the event.

If you live in the New England area and would be interested in helping us make this event better, we are interested in getting someone to do the photography work for the event. All the money we raise goes right to the charity, so we have no real budget to pay a photographer, so this would have to be out of the goodness of your heart in knowing you did something to help children who need their wishes to come true.

If interested, please contact me via our Facebook page link below.

Thank you, Joe

https://www.facebook.c​om (external link) ...r-Plunge-316970771652984/

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -Ansel Adams
Digital Rebel XT + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX Macro
Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 DG HSM EX
Sekonic L-358
Pocket Wizard Plus
Speedlite 580EX
Pair of Alien Bees B800s

JohnnyKarate
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Canada
Oct 31, 2017 00:19 as a reply to wto203's post |  #191

I'd love to see that work! Did you do a special backdrop setup or anything?

sponsored links

118,765 views & 2 likes for this thread
Volunteering through photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.