Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 16:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thank you Domke :)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,816 posts
Gallery: 310 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2017 10:24 |  #16

2mnycars wrote in post #18484088 (external link)
Thanks for the notice.

For others:

Check your delrin hardware on your Domke bags. Each of mine had broken plastic hardware on the strap.

That's interesting. I've been using them for years and never had an issue. I currently carry the f1-x with about 35 lbs. in it. I keep an eye on it, but no issues so far. Appreciate the heads up.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
3,007 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 20, 2017 19:37 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #17

My gear is much lighter than it used to be. My bags aren't abused
Jon confirmed this issue when I spoke of it before

Mr Domke's bags were so good. Mine are old generation Tiffen/Domke and the Delrin fittings were defective on mine.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,767 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by RPCrowe. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 09:21 |  #18

I have been using Domke F2 bags since Moses crossed the Red Sea. I am on my second bag in over twenty years of use. The first bag is still serviceable but, a bit frayed and worn from use. It was the original tan color Domke.

My wife is embarrassed to go anywhere while I am carrying this bag so, I bit the bullet and bought a new bag in the oiled finish which tends not to show the dirt as much.

I like the way the F2 hugs my hip while shooting. I always use the Domke Mail Carrier Shoulder Pad and I have a light weight carbiner clip which I clip to my photo vest and which prevents the bag from swinging around.

I did switch the front closure clasps with a pair of clasps that are easier to open and close.

https://rpcrowe.smugmu​g.com …Photo-Equipment/i-nRhxQ7j (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,816 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2018 10:25 |  #19

RPCrowe wrote in post #18549315 (external link)
I have been using Domke F2 bags since Moses crossed the Red Sea. I am on my second bag in over twenty years of use. The first bag is still serviceable but, a bit frayed and worn from use. It was the original tan color Domke.

My wife is embarrassed to go anywhere while I am carrying this bag so, I bit the bullet and bought a new bag in the oiled finish which tends not to show the dirt as much.

I like the way the F2 hugs my hip while shooting. I always use the Domke Mail Carrier Shoulder Pad and I have a light weight carbiner clip which I clip to my photo vest and which prevents the bag from swinging around.

I did switch the front closure clasps with a pair of clasps that are easier to open and close.

that's a good idea on the front clasps, I'm going to take a look at that. I've gotten to where I can do it with one hand, but it isn't as easy as it could be by a long shot.

John

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,821 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by John from PA.

Jan 26, 2018 16:15 |  #20

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18447097 (external link)
My only issue was their website, I gave up trying to use it in the end, so it's possible there's an even better Domke out there for me, but I have no idea lol

https://tiffen.com/dom​ke/ (external link) ...seems pretty straightforward to me.

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by welshwizard1971.

Jan 27, 2018 02:18 |  #21

They've changed it, must have seen this thread :)

*Edit still not great, no home button so you have to hit back several times, no obvious route to the bag that I want, I know it's there somewhere! Just very poor navigation, at least it isn't freezing like the old one.......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 27, 2018 07:38 |  #22

RPCrowe wrote in post #18549315 (external link)

Hmmm, had a good look, have to unstitch the webbing to get the new one on, tried looking at mini carabiners, but, no, not quite right...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,007 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 01, 2018 14:47 |  #23

I truly enjoy my f2 and f3x

like them even more after reading Mr Domke's book. Here's a link to the Tiffen Domke site where you can find his book

http://tiffen.com/domk​e/ (external link)

Jon I hope you've found this book already. As Domke guru you probably have a signed copy!

Dave L

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 19, 2018 12:44 |  #24

Didn't have the guts to unstitch the webbing and remove the old clasp, the missus is sewing mad but even she refused to try and stich it back together, but those clips were really bugging me, so, I bought these. Size #3 was perfect, this version locks too, other versions have a different locking system but I liked this one as one can stay locked to the bag, and the other unlocked to clip on and off, nice big flat area to put your thumb onto, easy to open and clip back on, perfect :)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk …age_o00_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by welshwizard1971. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 15:06 |  #25

And voila! A perfect fit, well chuffed with that :) Took the bag out in near freezing weather the other day, my hands were just too cold to open the bag, can't be doing with that so they had to go....

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4655/40366763251_737dee97ef_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24v5​dmK  (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,687 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 19, 2018 17:56 |  #26

What the Domke bag needs is a Hulk-sized version of the little swivel they use on the Domke neck straps.

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 20, 2018 11:53 |  #27

Yeah, just looked that up, totally agree...

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,430 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 22, 2018 03:26 |  #28

if i could comfortably fit the gear i want (gripped 5d3 and now a 5d4 too) 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, and a speedlite and my 50 f1.4 and 1.4X tc in my dark brown 1984 vintage F2, id still carry it all in that. i used to have a pair of F1-n bodies, 24 f2, 35 f2, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 200 f2.8, speedlite quantum battery, and 8-10 rolls of film (both color and b/w) in that bag...

digital gear is just so much bigger and heavier, i had to move to an F-7 double (about the same footprint but definitely deeper) and ive got an f1x or something which is about the same height as the f2 but longer... they just dont fit ME the way the f2 does and neither of the have the velcro on the top flap and across the pockets to "lightly secure" the top flap. i need to rectify that...

Eric ­ Hopp
97 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Feb 22, 2018 14:25 |  #29

Love both the Domke F2 and F6 bags. Purchased the F2 tan bag back in the early 90s to carry three Canon SLR film cameras, and probably around 4-5 lenses for shooting. I could pack so much camera crap in that bag! :lol: I still have the F2, and it is still in great condition. However, I am just not using that bag as much. It has been relegated as more of a storage / travel bag.

As with my Domke tan F6 bag, it has been my working bag now. I can pack a Canon 6D, 5D, a 24-105mm f4L, a 70-200mm f4L (Or a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6), and perhaps a 10-22mm wide lens, and I can happily shoot all day. You can pack so much stuff into that bag to the point where I'll pack more than what I need for shooting. They were great photography bags back in the 90s, and they are still great bags today.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,816 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 22, 2018 15:09 |  #30

Eric Hopp wrote in post #18569910 (external link)
Love both the Domke F2 and F6 bags. Purchased the F2 tan bag back in the early 90s to carry three Canon SLR film cameras, and probably around 4-5 lenses for shooting. I could pack so much camera crap in that bag! :lol: I still have the F2, and it is still in great condition. However, I am just not using that bag as much. It has been relegated as more of a storage / travel bag.

As with my Domke tan F6 bag, it has been my working bag now. I can pack a Canon 6D, 5D, a 24-105mm f4L, a 70-200mm f4L (Or a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6), and perhaps a 10-22mm wide lens, and I can happily shoot all day. You can pack so much stuff into that bag to the point where I'll pack more than what I need for shooting. They were great photography bags back in the 90s, and they are still great bags today.

You get all that in an F6?! I have one that I use occasionaly for my Fuji set-up, but the F6 is substantially smaller than my F2. I still have my F2, but I actually use the F1-x for my main gear these days. The extra size took a little getting use to, but I have so much more working room in the bag that I've grown to love it as much as the F2.

John

sponsored links

2,936 views & 26 likes for this thread
Thank you Domke :)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.