Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 31 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 08:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

MagicLantern Dual ISO. HDR or Not?

russellsnr2
968 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Oct 31, 2017 08:28 |  #1

Hi, Just wonder what the thoughts are on Dual ISO from MagicLantern as it does take two images at differant ISO's and puts them together in software. All I did here was set W&B points with the ALT key held down and a crop. Thanks, Russ

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Many Thanks,
Russell.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,395 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 31, 2017 10:31 |  #2

It can definitely increase the native dynamic range of a standard raw file - often at the expense of the resolution of the standard raw file. Sometimes it can lead to artifacts related to moiré and color fringing. And, of course, there is the necessary processing that converts the dual-ISO DNG to a working DNG. Depending upon your application and workflow, the use of the dual-ISO module could definitely be worth it.

A thread I started (in 2013) when dual-ISO became available on my cameras:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​333150

kirk

I know that BigAl uses DualISO workflow on his airshow images too. There are several other forum members that use it as well. It definitely extends the available dynamic range and the verbose output from the conversion utility (cr2hdr) gives effective dynamic ranges of about 14EV, which is pretty good.

EDIT - I see you got into that thread.

I use a 5DIV now, so I have not used dualISO for while. I would call the dualISO hack a "medium dynamic range" image.

Kirk
---

199 views & 0 likes for this thread
MagicLantern Dual ISO. HDR or Not?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.