Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Oct 31, 2017 14:02 |  #6496

digital_AM wrote in post #18485567 (external link)
Ok thanks for confirming. I keep forgetting about using the SR app in the field for situations like this where you want to preserve highlight detail and then bring up the shadows in post without incurring much noise. Then I could work off a single exposure which make things easier when shooting interiors. I have another shoot on Friday on a commercial building that I will try. I will shoot my normal brackets and then also grab an exposure with the SR app that is underexposed.

I did shoot some of the interiors with the SR app, but neither of the ones I have posted were done with that. I might have to go back and re-work them both and do some LM and see if I like it better...this job is mostly for printed materials and web images, nothing is going to be viewed large...so I might be over analyzing what I am doing...

mystik610 wrote in post #18485573 (external link)
I'd grab two AD200's in lieu of the xplor 600. I think the xplor 600 would be overkill for RE most of the time and you'd be better served by having two lights that you can place at different locations. If you happen to need a lot of power, you can use dual head....or use my bootleg method of sticking the ad200 inside the modifer itself. The flexibility of these little lights are awesome...I just added another.

Another upside of the ad200 is that you can easily use a speedlight gel to color correct them. This is pretty key when you're mixing flash with ambient light as uncorrected speedlights create nasty color casts when you expose for the ambient. It's one of the few things that is easier to correct in the field than in post.

I need to figure that stuff out...the same client these other images are for has some large buildings that need to be done that will no doubt require some OCF to accomplish the job.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 31, 2017 14:03 |  #6497

Also thanks for all the congratulation messages everyone

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 | Sony 2.8/90

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,545 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by digital_AM. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 31, 2017 14:14 |  #6498

TRhoads wrote in post #18485592 (external link)
I did shoot some of the interiors with the SR app, but neither of the ones I have posted were done with that. I might have to go back and re-work them both and do some LM and see if I like it better...this job is mostly for printed materials and web images, nothing is going to be viewed large...so I might be over analyzing what I am doing...

I need to figure that stuff out...the same client these other images are for has some large buildings that need to be done that will no doubt require some OCF to accomplish the job.

Travis, that is why I was thinking about going with a Godox strobe. I'm shooting architecture photography, not traditional real estate so the need to light large spaces is there. The Godox AD200 speedlights may do the trick but I'm just concerned that they won't be powerful enough for large conference rooms, lobbies, and such.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 31, 2017 14:18 |  #6499

Guys if you're using external hard drives, do yourself a favor and build a system to automatically create a redundant backup.

I'm still in the process of trying to recover mine.

I've purchased a couple partition recovery softwares...some for mac, some for PC. None of them were able to repair the partition after leaving the software running overnight, so I have no choice but to wait out the slow onerous process of trying to recover a 4tb drive. The files are intact in the drive (recovery programs I've run can see them), but recovering files via USB is reaaaaaally slow. I tried to be smart and hooked the drive up directly to the my PC via sata.....the thing is that external hard drives are encrypted so the drives will not initialize unless they are in the enclosure itself. I did not know this until now, but it looks like I'm stuck waiting this out. At the rate its going now, it will take days.

Not fun.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,545 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 31, 2017 14:29 |  #6500

mystik610 wrote in post #18485602 (external link)
Guys if you're using external hard drives, do yourself a favor and build a system to automatically create a redundant backup.

I'm still in the process of trying to recover mine.

I've purchased a couple partition recovery softwares...some for mac, some for PC. None of them were able to repair the partition after leaving the software running overnight, so I have no choice but to wait out the slow onerous process of trying to recover a 4tb drive. The files are intact in the drive (recovery programs I've run can see them), but recovering files via USB is reaaaaaally slow. I tried to be smart and hooked the drive up directly to the my PC via sata.....the thing is that external hard drives are encrypted so the drives will not initialize unless they are in the enclosure itself. I did not know this until now, but it looks like I'm stuck waiting this out. At the rate its going now, it will take days.

Not fun.

Dang, that sucks. I hope you get all your important files back soon. I'v recently reorganized my images and Lightroom catalog across multiple internal and external hard drives. This is the approach I took:

Internal Drive #1: Lightroom and Photoshop cache
Internal Drive #2: Current Year Images. Consider this my primary working drive.
External Drive #3: Main Backup drive. 6TB. Holds all my images.
External Drive #4: Secondary backup drive. Holds years 2015 and 2016 images
External Drive #5: Third backup drive. Holds years 2014 and earlier.
Online storage: Smugmug. Holds copies of my portfolio images and other favorites including personal family images

Once I get a Synology NAS, I can consolidate the roles of some of the external drives but will still keep backups on separate external drives.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 31, 2017 14:33 |  #6501

digital_AM wrote in post #18485590 (external link)
Good points Carlo. Thanks for the feedback. I will check them out. Any light stands that you would recommend?

What kind of modifiers are you using? If its something relatively small, cheap-o stands will do.

I'm personally using c-stands right now, but its because I'm using really big modifiers for portrait lighting.

digital_AM wrote in post #18485600 (external link)
Travis, that is why I was thinking about going with a Godox strobe. I'm shooting architecture photography, not traditional real estate so the need to light large spaces is there. The Godox AD200 speedlights may do the trick but I'm just concerned that they won't be powerful enough for large conference rooms, lobbies, and such.

The AD200 is less of a speedlight and more of a mini strobe. It was 3 stops more power than a speedlight, and 1 1/3 stops less power than the xplor 600.

The size of the room does dictate how much power you need, but not as much as how much ambient light you're trying to overpower, and/or how quickly you need your lights to recycle.. xplor type power is needed when you're trying to overpower the sun, with HSS, and while using a power sucking modifier. Lighting something like a cathedral space is very similar in my mind to using bounce flash in a church (bounce flash is more taxing than direct flash), and that's actually doable with a regular speedlight...particula​rly if you're exposing for the ambient and don't need to fire shots at a rapid pace.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 31, 2017 14:34 |  #6502

TRhoads wrote in post #18485359 (external link)
Thanks! I am kicking myself...I clipped that bottom rock...will try to reshoot it this weekend...

I bet Gene could whip you up a bottom rock.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 31, 2017 14:35 as a reply to post 18485591 |  #6503

Eddie congratulations on Eddie Jr. :)
Maybe Eddard? Perfect excuse to add another camera!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 31, 2017 14:36 |  #6504

Glad you might be able to recover the files Carlo.

My setup is MacBook internal drive has current year. Synology NAS has all other years (redundancy built in with RAID). Every time I plug my MacBook in timemachine backs it up to the synology automatically (so current year files constantly backed up to NAS). Then I have two external drives attached to the synology and the synology built in app backs up everything to the two externals once a week. So overall everything on my MacBook is backed up at all times, I have redundancy in my NAS and the NAS is also backed up to external drives. I’m hoping that’s enough but it does concern me often.

Next task is to sort the folder structure better on how I do things - subfolder for jpegs, sub folder for tiffs etc

x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Oct 31, 2017 14:38 |  #6505

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18485613 (external link)
Eddie congratulations on Eddie Jr. :)
Maybe Eddard? Perfect excuse to add another camera!

Thanks MM. Eddard reminds me of game of thrones :). We went with Isla

x100F | α7R II

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,545 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Post has been edited 18 days ago by digital_AM.
Oct 31, 2017 14:43 |  #6506

mystik610 wrote in post #18485610 (external link)
What kind of modifiers are you using? If its something relatively small, cheap-o stands will do.

I'm personally using c-stands right now, but its because I'm using really big modifiers for portrait lighting.

The AD200 is less of a speedlight and more of a mini strobe. It was 3 stops more power than a speedlight, and 1 1/3 stops less power than the xplor 600.

The size of the room does dictate how much power you need, but not as much as how much ambient light you're trying to overpower, and/or how quickly you need your lights to recycle.. xplor type power is needed when you're trying to overpower the sun, with HSS, and while using a power sucking modifier. Lighting something like a cathedral space is very similar in my mind to using bounce flash in a church (bounce flash is more taxing than direct flash), and that's actually doable with a regular speedlight...particula​rly if you're exposing for the ambient and don't need to fire shots at a rapid pace.

No modifiers anticipated since the flash exposure will be blended in with the ambient. Setting the ambient to lighten mode and mixing with the flash exposure will help cancel out color cast. Thanks for the info on the AD200. I thought it performed similar to a speedlight but I see that's not the case.

As a side note, I'm a bit torn on the idea of introducing lighting into my architecture photography workflow. I'm concerned that it will deviate from the "style and look" that my current clients selected me for in the first place. Is that odd to think that way?

cc1995
244 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 31, 2017 14:45 |  #6507

xpfloyd wrote in post #18485078 (external link)
Excuse the Fuji photo but just wanted to let you guys know my daughter Isla was born 4 hours ago. She is less than 10 mins old here. Couldnt help myself looking at the photos in lightroom when I got home. Time for some sleep now!

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZVWA​5U] (external link)Isla - 30.10.17 (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Congratulations!

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,866 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Oct 31, 2017 14:46 |  #6508

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18485612 (external link)
I bet Gene could whip you up a bottom rock.

You mean like this? :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 31, 2017 14:46 |  #6509

Yeah I work off of a MacBook pro because things are hectic right now and need to be flexible in terms of where I process photos. What screwed me is that my current year lightroom catalog got too big for my internal drive....so I had to migrate it to an external drive...and that drive went belly up before I could back it up to my NAS. The thing is the most high risk stuff to lose is the current stuff that I'm still processing. I have crap from 10 years ago sitting pretty in my NAS, but no one cares about those lol.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,062 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been edited 18 days ago by David Arbogast.
Oct 31, 2017 14:55 |  #6510

irishguy0224 wrote in post #18485534 (external link)
do either of you have sample pics using it? I would be interested to see the bokeh it produces at f4 200mm or so.

A random group of 200mm @ f/4:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4449/38071799111_275a16378d_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/211g​Vtv] (external link)DSC08202 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4506/38018492256_713b220218_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZVyH​cN] (external link)Nick & Natasha Wedding-08461 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4499/38071782461_2d01499b86_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/211g​Qwr] (external link)Nick & Natasha Wedding-08448 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4496/37362188194_334e5b2aa8_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YVyY​Sw] (external link)Missouri Town-08909 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4449/37362192694_089b2b9bc1_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YVz1​d7] (external link)Missouri Town-08893 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4465/37362202724_7b58a0b3d1_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YVz4​c3] (external link)DSC06756 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4487/38071806451_fbc79acf17_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/211g​XE4] (external link)DSC06728 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4514/38018506846_07e86129ac_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZVyM​xm] (external link)DSC06718 (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

David | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

247,436 views & 13689 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.