Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 03 Apr 2017 (Monday) 21:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What could be corrupting my image files ???

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Jun 09, 2017 02:20 |  #16

Epochaly wrote in post #18370455 (external link)
I've not been thrilled with the Transcends - I've used 3 & 2 failed prematurely , and two assistants have lost two within a year as well. They were attractive because they were shock proof & whatnot but I'm staying away from them...at least in the South Asian region!

We have had excellent results with the Transcend SD memory cards, likewise with the two Transcend card readers we have --- one is the same size of and plugs in like a memory stick, the other connects via a cable.

Considering that good service, plus like you said about the shock resistance and such, we decided to go with the 1TB military drop-tested Transcend Storejet for our external drives; we currently have four of them.

Thus far, only the one has given any trouble; but then, that is a 25% failure rate.

Now that I have grown wiser about such things, I wish we had of put our money in 3.5" drives and enclosures; thus far, we have accumulated two enclosures and currently have two 500GB drives in them that we already had at hand.

The 3.5" drives in enclosures are superior in every way compared to the little 2.5" notebook drives encapsulated within the purpose-made external drives; they run much cooler, have their own generous power supply, and read/write ever so much quicker.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jun 09, 2017 03:49 |  #17

I have 3.5" drive enclosures, mostly Nextar brand, USB. So far they have about a 75% failure rate after 5 years.

For my backups I'm going to go with bare 3.5" drives, padded cases, and an eSata dock.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Jun 09, 2017 15:34 |  #18

tim wrote in post #18374408 (external link)
I have 3.5" drive enclosures, mostly Nextar brand, USB. So far they have about a 75% failure rate after 5 years.

For my backups I'm going to go with bare 3.5" drives, padded cases, and an eSata dock.

The two enclosures we have are INATECK brand; they have very good reviews and seem to be fine so far; time will tell.

I also have a Sabrent hard-drive converter that is cables/plugs/adapters only that works extremely well; it is probably twice as quick as the 3.5" enclosures, which are plenty quick themselves.

tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jun 09, 2017 15:41 |  #19

I have a Sabrent USB3 dock. Sometimes it's almost as fast as SATA, sometimes it's half the speed. I should've gotten the eSata version for $3 more though, oops.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Epochaly
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2014
South Asia
Jun 25, 2017 21:33 as a reply to BuckSkin's post |  #20

I did the same thing after our StoreJet USB drives kept dying!

Like Tim I use a Sabrent with a little fan beneath (one needs to raise the dock so there's enough airflow underneath).
I also had an Anker toaster-type (vertical loading) that conked on me just last week but after nearly two years of great service.

Also:

Two Orinco drive bays - one of which failed shortly after purchase, the other works well enough but can't physically eject anything other than the largest 3.5'' inch drives (Many 1Tbs have a small form factor) - one needs pliers.

Gosh they're one of the most useful accessories ever!

BuckSkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 31, 2017 22:58 |  #21

I got tied up in other less fun things and hadn't visited the site in a while so I thought an update on my external drive situation was in order.
Thus far, I have accumulated five of the Inateck USB-3.0 3.5" enclosures and four WD Blue 2TB drives; two of the WDs are internally SATA connected in two different machines; the other two are being used externally in the Inateck enclosures.

I can't say it enough --- these internal 3.5" WD drives used in external enclosures are THE WAY TO GO for external storage.

I intend to migrate anything vital onto the 3.5" drives and relegate our collection of 2.5" Transcend Storejets to temporary portable tasks and maybe load a couple with photo back-ups and put them in isolated long-term storage.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and advice.

sponsored links

2,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
What could be corrupting my image files ???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.