Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Nov 01, 2017 11:56 as a reply to post 18486213 |  #4141

Just missing a fly-by of a witch-on-a-broom. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Nov 02, 2017 19:24 |  #4142

for the young ladies senior pictures - overall they are well done

a few thoughts

- for the second girl in the pinks, i would dial back the exposure on her face by 1/2 stop or so as it appears almost blown out
- the same young lady also either has pink hair or she has bad CA with the strong sunlight hitting her hair - if you haven't hit the Lightroom CA remove box give it a try
- i generally like the 'bright' exposure look, but you might want to try some shaped radial filters, around your focal point, to bring a bit more contrast / saturation to the backgrounds / and or to slightly reduce the back ground exposures to bring emphasis to your models

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Post has been edited 18 days ago by butterfly2937.
Nov 03, 2017 18:08 |  #4143

Something different for this thread! IPO Dog sport.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4464/38017641572_48988f05e6_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZVum​jQ] (external link)_80I1533.jpg (external link) by Carol (external link), on Flickr

Justinsmnz
796 posts
Joined Feb 2014
NE Rhode Island
Nov 04, 2017 09:16 |  #4144

Well, I got a bit of G.A.S. and put in an order for a 1Dx Mk II last week via Canon Refurbished site. However, it seems that in my haste I missed a few pieces of information that I'm now finding out after working my way through the menus yesterday. For context, I was hoping that the 1DxII could be my one-stop-shop to replace my current duo of a 5Ds and 7DII. My [Seemingly ignorant] assumption, was that the only sacrifice I would make upgrading from the 5Ds would be the significant resolution difference between 50 and 20 megapixels and the lack of ability to use my Wifi-capable SD card to transfer images directly from the camera to mobile devices. I came to terms with those two sacrifices, but now I'm a bit disheartened to find out I'm also missing out on a few other features that I use quite often. These are the most glaring to me so far (that is, unless one of you folks with more experience with the body can guide me in the right direction to find them) :

1. On my 5Ds, I had the ability to instantly change my viewfinder or live-view screen to a difference aspect ratio/crop factor. Specifically, I was able to quickly cycle through Full-frame, 1.3, 1.6, and 1:1 square crop ratios. It blacked out the margins inside the viewfinder, which was perfect for quickly composing shots in those particular layouts. The 1:1 was incredibly helpful for me when shooting for myself or one of my few clients who plan to use images for social media (for which a square crop is typically best.) I do understand that this mode was likely intended to help wrangle the megapixels of the 5Ds into smaller, pre-cropped JPEGs for those hoping to save memory space, but for me, it was the best method for quickly composing images in a non 4:3 factor, and the lower resolution of the 1DxII wouldn't have diminished it's usefulness for me at all. Unfortunately, I don't see any options to have a grid overlay in the viewfinder other than the standard 4:3 line grid.

2. Similar to the first point, in live view on my 5Ds, I was able to change the screen aspect ratio to 16:9 when shooting still images. It blacked out the top and bottom portions of the frame, and was perfect for composing overhead, table-top shots that would be used as backdrops and/or title frames for video projects (as well as a few more unique use-cases for personal projects.) The closest I've found on the 1DxII is the grid overlay in live view, but none of the three options are even close to a simulated 1:1 or 16:9 format.

3. This is the one that honestly just baffles me most: despite being included in the past several generations of Canon DSLRs (even as far down the hierarchy as the 80d,) the 1DxII does not seems to have a built-in intervalometer or built-in bulb timer. I use the bulb timer on my 5Ds incredibly often, and just recently used the intervalometer on my 7DII. Why on earth wouldn't Canon include this firmware-only feature in the 1DxII? One of the [admittedly minor, but still thought-about] features I was looking forward to with the 1DxII over the 5Ds was the built-in viewfinder cover to use when shooting extra long exposures. However, needing to carry and use a separate remote timer is an unnecessary pain that I've gotten very used to not worrying about.

Am I crazy for assuming these features would be included in the current flagship body after having been included in previous non-flagships? I completely understand that there are physical issues that prevent certain features like wifi from being built into the different body designs, but the issues I'm focused on are all firmware-only. I could still swap out for a 5DIV and save significant cash (both on the body, and on the batteries/memory I'll need to upgrade for the 1DxII) as well as weight and size of my kit. However, after noticing the missing features in the 1DxII and researching the 5DIV a bit deeper, it seems that even the 5DIV doesn't include my #1 and #2 features above. The two reasons I bought the 1DxII over the 5DIV in the first place are the 14fps and 120p HD video, which are both simply unavailable anywhere else – aside from dropping everything for Sony.

So all that said, does anyone have a direct line to Canon's engineers to toss a few features on the firmware update list?  :p

flickrexternal link

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited 18 days ago by wallstreetoneil.
Nov 04, 2017 10:26 |  #4145

Justinsmnz wrote in post #18488336 (external link)
Well, I got a bit of G.A.S. and put in an order for a 1Dx Mk II last week via Canon Refurbished site. However, it seems that in my haste I missed a few pieces of information that I'm now finding out after working my way through the menus yesterday. For context, I was hoping that the 1DxII could be my one-stop-shop to replace my current duo of a 5Ds and 7DII. My [Seemingly ignorant] assumption, was that the only sacrifice I would make upgrading from the 5Ds would be the significant resolution difference between 50 and 20 megapixels and the lack of ability to use my Wifi-capable SD card to transfer images directly from the camera to mobile devices. I came to terms with those two sacrifices, but now I'm a bit disheartened to find out I'm also missing out on a few other features that I use quite often. These are the most glaring to me so far (that is, unless one of you folks with more experience with the body can guide me in the right direction to find them) :

1. On my 5Ds, I had the ability to instantly change my viewfinder or live-view screen to a difference aspect ratio/crop factor. Specifically, I was able to quickly cycle through Full-frame, 1.3, 1.6, and 1:1 square crop ratios. It blacked out the margins inside the viewfinder, which was perfect for quickly composing shots in those particular layouts. The 1:1 was incredibly helpful for me when shooting for myself or one of my few clients who plan to use images for social media (for which a square crop is typically best.) I do understand that this mode was likely intended to help wrangle the megapixels of the 5Ds into smaller, pre-cropped JPEGs for those hoping to save memory space, but for me, it was the best method for quickly composing images in a non 4:3 factor, and the lower resolution of the 1DxII wouldn't have diminished it's usefulness for me at all. Unfortunately, I don't see any options to have a grid overlay in the viewfinder other than the standard 4:3 line grid.

2. Similar to the first point, in live view on my 5Ds, I was able to change the screen aspect ratio to 16:9 when shooting still images. It blacked out the top and bottom portions of the frame, and was perfect for composing overhead, table-top shots that would be used as backdrops and/or title frames for video projects (as well as a few more unique use-cases for personal projects.) The closest I've found on the 1DxII is the grid overlay in live view, but none of the three options are even close to a simulated 1:1 or 16:9 format.

3. This is the one that honestly just baffles me most: despite being included in the past several generations of Canon DSLRs (even as far down the hierarchy as the 80d,) the 1DxII does not seems to have a built-in intervalometer or built-in bulb timer. I use the bulb timer on my 5Ds incredibly often, and just recently used the intervalometer on my 7DII. Why on earth wouldn't Canon include this firmware-only feature in the 1DxII? One of the [admittedly minor, but still thought-about] features I was looking forward to with the 1DxII over the 5Ds was the built-in viewfinder cover to use when shooting extra long exposures. However, needing to carry and use a separate remote timer is an unnecessary pain that I've gotten very used to not worrying about.

Am I crazy for assuming these features would be included in the current flagship body after having been included in previous non-flagships? I completely understand that there are physical issues that prevent certain features like wifi from being built into the different body designs, but the issues I'm focused on are all firmware-only. I could still swap out for a 5DIV and save significant cash (both on the body, and on the batteries/memory I'll need to upgrade for the 1DxII) as well as weight and size of my kit. However, after noticing the missing features in the 1DxII and researching the 5DIV a bit deeper, it seems that even the 5DIV doesn't include my #1 and #2 features above. The two reasons I bought the 1DxII over the 5DIV in the first place are the 14fps and 120p HD video, which are both simply unavailable anywhere else – aside from dropping everything for Sony.

So all that said, does anyone have a direct line to Canon's engineers to toss a few features on the firmware update list?  :p

There is the ability in Liveview to have certain cropping boxes show up on screen - and this information will be added to the file. The menu item is in the 6th sub menu in the Custom Fnc Menu (4th tab). I don't see 16:9 but square (6:6) is there. You don't see the info in the OVF but it shows up in live view - item called (Add Cropping Information)

There is a Bulb mode

I think you truly have to appreciate that the 1Dx is a very different market and that if sports pros on the sideline all over the world wanted certain features, they would be in there - it is not a consumer camera.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Justinsmnz
796 posts
Joined Feb 2014
NE Rhode Island
Nov 04, 2017 11:00 |  #4146

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18488369 (external link)
There is the ability in Liveview to have certain cropping boxes show up on screen - and this information will be added to the file. The menu item is in the 6th sub menu in the Custom Fnc Menu (4th tab). I don't see 16:9 but square (6:6) is there. You don't see the info in the OVF but it shows up in live view - item called (Add Cropping Information)

There is a Bub mode

I think you truly have to appreciate that the 1Dx is a very different market and that if sports pros on the sideline all over the world wanted certain features, they would be in there - it is not a consumer camera.

Thanks for the info re: the custom fnc. crop mode. I did see that option, but had glanced over the 6:6 setting. That's very close to the 5Ds in regard to Live View shooting, and a 16:9 setting in that same custom fnc. would be exactly what I need to address issue #2 on my list. As I mentioned, another main reason I like the crop modes in the 5Ds is the ability to black out the margins in the viewfinder for on-the-fly composition in the 1:1 format. One of its main uses, for me at least, goes beyond the live view overlay.

Regarding your second point, I'd like to think I have a relatively good grasp on the differences in the Canon lineup and their respective users. As I mentioned originally, I know there are specific sacrifices to be made when moving from one camera to another. However, it's my understanding that one of the goals of the original 1Dx was to minimize those necessary sacrifices for pro-users by combining into one body the best features of the 1DsIII and 1DIV (primarily the full frame sensor size from the former, and the higher frame rate from the latter.) Bryan C touches on that in the fourth paragraph of his 1DxII review. (external link) Additionally, it seems that Canon has decided to take it a step further with the 1DxII by incorporating not only the best of the still-image shooting world, but also those of the video and cinematography world.

If Canon were to have announced that the successor to the 1Dx would be two different bodies instead of one – let's say a 1DxS and the 1DxII – I would completely understand if the features I listed were available in only the 1DxS, and not the 1DxII. However, Canon obviously didn't do that, and instead stuck to their current plan of a single flagship body at the top of the hierarchy. Because of that, it only makes sense for them to incorporate all of the features that are reasonably possible into the single body. Perhaps I've had a different experience than others when it comes to the professional uses for a camera, but I'd be surprised if I was the only one to consider an intervalometer and bulb timer as a bit more important than simply "consumer" features.

flickrexternal link

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Nov 04, 2017 12:46 |  #4147

Justinsmnz wrote in post #18488398 (external link)
Thanks for the info re: the custom fnc. crop mode. I did see that option, but had glanced over the 6:6 setting. That's very close to the 5Ds in regard to Live View shooting, and a 16:9 setting in that same custom fnc. would be exactly what I need to address issue #2 on my list. As I mentioned, another main reason I like the crop modes in the 5Ds is the ability to black out the margins in the viewfinder for on-the-fly composition in the 1:1 format. One of its main uses, for me at least, goes beyond the live view overlay.

Regarding your second point, I'd like to think I have a relatively good grasp on the differences in the Canon lineup and their respective users. As I mentioned originally, I know there are specific sacrifices to be made when moving from one camera to another. However, it's my understanding that one of the goals of the original 1Dx was to minimize those necessary sacrifices for pro-users by combining into one body the best features of the 1DsIII and 1DIV (primarily the full frame sensor size from the former, and the higher frame rate from the latter.) Bryan C touches on that in the fourth paragraph of his 1DxII review. (external link) Additionally, it seems that Canon has decided to take it a step further with the 1DxII by incorporating not only the best of the still-image shooting world, but also those of the video and cinematography world.

If Canon were to have announced that the successor to the 1Dx would be two different bodies instead of one – let's say a 1DxS and the 1DxII – I would completely understand if the features I listed were available in only the 1DxS, and not the 1DxII. However, Canon obviously didn't do that, and instead stuck to their current plan of a single flagship body at the top of the hierarchy. Because of that, it only makes sense for them to incorporate all of the features that are reasonably possible into the single body. Perhaps I've had a different experience than others when it comes to the professional uses for a camera, but I'd be surprised if I was the only one to consider an intervalometer and bulb timer as a bit more important than simply "consumer" features.

didn't mean for it to come across the wrong way

as I said, there is a bulb feature

no idea why there isn't an intervalometer - except, the people that i know that have 1D bodies all shoot sports and 2 i know that shoot weddings - and I have never heard anyone ask for that feature - except I agree, it should be in there if there isn't a reason it can't be - the likely explanation is that there is no financial return on allocating the programming resources to include it

there is a lot of stuff in there for networking, remote firing, and other highly customizability that has been the legacy of this camera

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Nov 04, 2017 13:22 as a reply to Justinsmnz's post |  #4148

There also is a very good WiFi adaptor from Canon. It allows for remote capture and remote focusing as well. It is quite nice.

Justinsmnz
796 posts
Joined Feb 2014
NE Rhode Island
Nov 04, 2017 13:32 |  #4149

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18488512 (external link)
didn't mean for it to come across the wrong way

as I said, there is a bulb feature

no idea why there isn't an intervalometer - except, the people that i know that have 1D bodies all shoot sports and 2 i know that shoot weddings - and I have never heard anyone ask for that feature - except I agree, it should be in there if there isn't a reason it can't be - the likely explanation is that there is no financial return on allocating the programming resources to include it

there is a lot of stuff in there for networking, remote firing, and other highly customizability that has been the legacy of this camera

Oh, I didn't take it as anything negative towards me – I completely understand that the camera is meant for specific types of photographers (in fact, that's why I've had a two-or-more camera kit for the past many years.) I'm just throwing out these points for discussion because I was under the impression that I would only be sacrificing the main body-differentiating physical aspects such as sensor and size/weight, not sacrificing features that I thought were developed for implementation across the lineup.

Regarding allocating the programming resources to implement the internal settings I'm talking about, I'm definitely with you on that: there's no reason to waste resources for new or innovative features that few end users would want or need. I'm just confused by their decision to leave out the features for which they already have the basic firmware architecture on hand. It seems that professional users of one type or another do have a need for them, due to their inclusion on the more recent 5D "pro-level" bodies. As you said, they already have the internal custom crop features built-in, so why not push those into the digital viewfinder and why exclude a 16:9 setting? They already developed the internal intervalometer and bulb timer several years ago and have implemented it across all of the other bodies (pro and consumer bodies alike.) Shouldn't the inclusion of a bulb mode at all indicate that their users have a need for longer-than-30-second exposures? I'm just at a loss on what their reasoning might be for reverting back to a system that requires a separate cable release.

butterfly2937 wrote in post #18488512 (external link)
There also is a very good WiFi adaptor from Canon. It allows for remote capture and remote focusing as well. It is quite nice.

I'm actually looking into the WFT adapter. As I mentioned though, I knew in advance that wifi was a sacrifice to be made when moving to the 1DxII, and I understand the reasoning behind needing a separate accessory. No fault at all toward Canon on that end! :-D

flickrexternal link

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Nov 04, 2017 14:41 |  #4150

Justinsmnz wrote in post #18488336 (external link)
Well, I got a bit of G.A.S. and put in an order for a 1Dx Mk II last week via Canon Refurbished site....

Sorry to hear about the limitations you've experienced. You can use something like a Vello Shutterboss to take care of the bulb timer and intervalometer. I don't know of any Canon body that shows the cropping frame other than the 5DS(r).

On the plus side -- although my experience with Canon bodies is limited to the 60D, 70D, 7D, 7D2, 5D4, and 1DX2; I find that the 1DX2 consistently delivers the best IQ. The 5D4 is very close, though! I don't use any crop sensor cameras anymore, although my wife loves hers.

If you want a 1-body solution, I would consider the 1DX2 and a Shutterboss. I would also practice with the 1DX2 to envision the various crop ratios in the viewfinder. The feature in the 5DS(r) sounds nice, and I would use it if my bodies had it. However, I think I do a decent job of envisioning the shot through the viewfinder using the standard grid that's there.

Regards, Jim

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 04, 2017 16:37 |  #4151

I found the lack of WiFi annoying as well, it worked great on the 6D I had for a while, so not having them include it here is frustrating. That said, before I owned the 1DXII I bought a used 1DX that the seller included a CamFi controller and it has worked perfectly with every non-WiFi Canon camera I have tried it on. I would look at something like that or a Cam Ranger before going with the WFT from Canon. It gives me full remote control of the camera through their app on my phone and I can pull photos right onto the phone if I have a need for that.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2009
Connecticut USA
Nov 04, 2017 17:25 as a reply to ShadowHillsPhoto's post |  #4152

There is a Canon phone app for the WFT-E8 as well.

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 04, 2017 19:24 as a reply to butterfly2937's post |  #4153

Yes, but it also costs $600 compared to $130 for the CamFi and $300 for CamRanger, and they are all basically the same thing. Charging us $600 for something that should have been built into the camera in the first place is ridiculous, so if I'm going to be forced to buy WiFi as an add-on feature I'm damn sure not giving any additional money to Canon for the privilege.

Justinsmnz
796 posts
Joined Feb 2014
NE Rhode Island
Nov 05, 2017 00:12 |  #4154

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18488605 (external link)
Sorry to hear about the limitations you've experienced. You can use something like a Vello Shutterboss to take care of the bulb timer and intervalometer. I don't know of any Canon body that shows the cropping frame other than the 5DS(r).

On the plus side -- although my experience with Canon bodies is limited to the 60D, 70D, 7D, 7D2, 5D4, and 1DX2; I find that the 1DX2 consistently delivers the best IQ. The 5D4 is very close, though! I don't use any crop sensor cameras anymore, although my wife loves hers.

If you want a 1-body solution, I would consider the 1DX2 and a Shutterboss. I would also practice with the 1DX2 to envision the various crop ratios in the viewfinder. The feature in the 5DS(r) sounds nice, and I would use it if my bodies had it. However, I think I do a decent job of envisioning the shot through the viewfinder using the standard grid that's there.

Regards, Jim

Agreed on the shutterboss and similar styles of remote shutter releases being great. I actually already own one and used it for a couple years on my 6D and 5DIII. That was prior to Canon implementing the built-in bulb timer on newer bodies, the feature that I have obviously come to really like. That might be why it bothers me even a bit more than other feature differences: it literally forces me to revert back to a previous, less-efficient and more cumbersome method just to get the same end result from a camera that is allegedly newer, more advanced, and many thousands-of-dollars more expensive.

Regarding learning the body and getting more comfortable envisioning the crop ratios on the fly - I definitely agree, and it's something that is a good skill to have regardless of the camera with which one is shooting. However, the same could be said about auto exposure or auto focus. As a photographer, I do have the ability to manually expose each of my images and to manually adjust my focus to get a shot just right, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my AV mode or my USM lenses.

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18488605 (external link)
I found the lack of WiFi annoying as well...

Definitely agreed that the lack of built-in wifi is less than perfect. However, I do want to be clear that I'm not at all complaining about the lack of wifi, just like I wouldn't complain that the body is too big or bulky, or that the sensor can't crank out 50 megapixels. My understanding is that the engineers at Canon have not been able to develop reliable internal wifi in the 1D series due to the thicker body construction and heftier weather sealing. It's actually a great example of one of the 1D's purpose-driven design choices. That is, choosing to retain a stronger and more sturdy construction at the sacrifice of certain physical features such as built-in wifi or lower weight.

So far, the missing features that have me seriously second-guessing my purchase are firmware-driven features that Canon has already developed and implemented in their other bodies, yet has for some reason decided to leave out of the 1DxII.

flickrexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Nov 06, 2017 20:22 |  #4155

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Redondo-Beach/i-NvVkb5T/0/1ce97a5c/X2/20171105-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX22181-X2.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Redondo-Beach/i-HSqPbSF/0/27ce11c0/X3/20171105-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX22182-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Redondo-Beach/i-RVCgTFv/0/3db970ef/X2/20171105-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX22183-X2.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

891,717 views & 11829 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.