Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 15:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Durability > Man Tows Truck & Cement with Canon DSLR

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 19 days ago by mdvaden.
Oct 28, 2017 15:46 |  #1

This video shows a man using most of his body strength, towing his cement-filled truck with a Canon DSLR as part of the tow line. I thought this was rather enlightening about durability. How many companies possibly build their cameras, or part of, this tough?

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 29, 2017 09:40 |  #2

Sorry, not buying it. someone pushing truck from behind. Real test person would show no trickery being used.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2017 10:34 |  #3

filmuser wrote in post #18483783 (external link)
Sorry, not buying it. someone pushing truck from behind. Real test person would show no trickery being used.

You probably don't do physical work of this sort I'm guessing.

I've been doing arborist, landscape and university work for 40 years, using ropes many times. I can tell from the man's body, feet, and lean how much pressure is being applied, and have no need to see the truck.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 29, 2017 10:53 |  #4

Video is a waste of time. Sorry I watched.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 29, 2017 10:53 |  #5

It's not really a good test of durability. The joints of pressure are shared and essentially has the force in a line. You could do this with anything really. Things that should crumble.

Do the test with the joints of pressure around the lens collar and one side of the body and see what happens.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 29, 2017 11:46 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18483837 (external link)
It's not really a good test of durability. The joints of pressure are shared and essentially has the force in a line. You could do this with anything really. Things that should crumble.

Do the test with the joints of pressure around the lens collar and one side of the body and see what happens.

Very best,

Why?

If the point he's looking at is the tripod mount noted in his video title, why should he bother at all with the lens collar? Seems that would an entirely different experiment

What you wrote seems more related to the question at the end of my OP, although it further grows the question.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 29, 2017 11:51 |  #7

mdvaden wrote in post #18483885 (external link)
Why?

If the point he's looking at is the tripod mount noted in his video title, why should he bother at all with the lens collar? Seems that would an entirely different experiment

Basic physics. He's pulling on the tripod mount at it's absolute strongest angle to resist force. Had he done that test with the camera on a tripod cemented in the ground, standing up right (as it would normally) and the camera mounted on the tripod and pulled at the tripod mount then, this wouldn't be a thread or a video. The test is pointless for even the purpose here.

Pick any angle that is normal for the camera/tripod/etc. Picking the strongest angle that is totally unnatural for the joints that are being stressed here, clearly going for the best representation that misrepresents what the purpose is.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 29, 2017 13:56 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18483888 (external link)
Basic physics. He's pulling on the tripod mount at it's absolute strongest angle to resist force.

Actually, whether he did what you suggested or just what he showed, I think it's remarkable the camera held together even with force from a single angle.If I did that to my cell phone or cordless phone in the house, it would shatter to pieces instantly.

The pull shown in that video would rip the arms off our dining room chair, tear the lid off my printer, snap our ceiling fan and bust most light fixtures in our house.

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Oct 30, 2017 09:08 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #9

What's so impressive? Can you tell me the degree of incline/decline of the surface the truck is on? How about the rolling resistance of the truck? You're choosing to be impressed by something without knowing even basic details about what you are actually observing. There's nothing remarkable here, just simple physics.

When you can tell me exactly how many ft-lbs of energy are being exerted on the tripod mount, then we can start discussing whether or not this is impressive. Until then it's just cute parlor tricks.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 30, 2017 11:57 |  #10

Yep all that durability makes for some mighty fine photographers. Just get you one of those and you are on your way ha ha ha.

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 30, 2017 13:35 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #11

Actors can fake and make anything look real.

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Oct 30, 2017 14:00 |  #12

filmuser wrote in post #18484760 (external link)
Actors can fake and make anything look real.

Thinking it's "fake" is just as bad as thinking it's evidence of some sort of incredible camera durability.

Vehicles are literally designed to roll with as little resistance as possible, since anything else would, you know, sort of defeat the whole purpose. Getting one moving isn't exactly some great feat.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 6 days ago by mdvaden. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 30, 2017 20:05 |  #13

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18484570 (external link)
What's so impressive? Can you tell me the degree of incline/decline of the surface the truck is on?

There's probably a half dozen things in the video that answer and clarify. But I'm not going to note what's telling yet.

For others ... feel free to look for the clues.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Nov 01, 2017 13:05 |  #14

Is this the new Digital Rev? They do stunts like this.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 11, 2017 10:00 |  #15

Colin Glover wrote in post #18486269 (external link)
Is this the new Digital Rev? They do stunts like this.

Different ... although I watch Dig Rev's youtube channel sometimes. A British-like accent sets it apart too.

sponsored links

1,456 views & 2 likes for this thread
Durability > Man Tows Truck & Cement with Canon DSLR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.