Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Oct 2017 (Monday) 22:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

dolina
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 30, 2017 22:05 |  #1

Japan's Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Press Release: http://www.nikon.com/n​ews/2017/1030_01_e.pdf (external link)

Visit my Flickrexternal link, Facebookexternal link & 500pxexternal link and see my photos. :)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Nov 01, 2017 14:28 |  #2

Some LG phones have adjustablle f stop ISO. Some are working on optical zoom. Look out DSLR makers.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 01, 2017 14:40 |  #3

The tech behind smartphones has a huge, huge amount of support and capital. It will continue to speed forward and make a lot of things either obsolete or render something nostalgia.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

wunhang
650 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Nov 01, 2017 14:54 |  #4

That plant produced the compact cameras for Nikon... it is well known that the compact consumer cameras market has been dying due to smartphone usage for years. Honestly, I don't know why the compact divisions haven't been either shuttered, sold off, or reformed into prosumer divisions earlier.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

550 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.