Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 06:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom CC 2017 - Support for those staying with it

randy98mtu
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Post has been edited 1 month ago by randy98mtu.
Oct 21, 2017 06:48 |  #1

So all I see is hate for the new Lightroom CC. I thought I'd start a place for those who want to adopt it and need some help. A place for us to share your experiences, problems, solutions, etc.

I'll start by saying this concept is what I have been looking for. With the first Lightroom CC (Classic) I was frustrated that I had no way to get the "original" files to my mobile devices. So this idea is a home run for me. This leads me directly to my first problem; It's not doing that! I have all the originals on my Mac, and when I launched the new CC for the first time, it seemed like it was uploading more files to my cloud. But then it said it was done. And I'm still where I was before. Files that were imported to my catalog on my iPad have originals in the cloud. Everything else under cloud status says "Smart Preview Only."

So I'm thinking, ok, I just need to migrate my catalog and it will link up the file. I got scared when it said you can only import a catalog once, so I exported a collection as a catalog, and then imported that catalog. I chose my "New Imports" collection. First it gave me the "not enough space" error. It said I needed 25 GB of local storage. Ok, I have 122, so what's the problem. So I changed some selective sync's on Dropbox, got up to 228 GB free and now it worked. Now the most frustrating part, I look at All Photos in CC and all those images are now duplicated! There are 2 copies with the same names.

So I'm off to a rocky start, but I really want to make this work. I really feel like Adobe launched this too early though or just doesn't have the migration setup for existing users very well. If anyone has other questions or solutions, please add them here!

Edit: I figured it out. If you hit Add Photos and browse to the folder where the files are, it will say "add xxx images" even if they are already in your library as smart preview only (shown as a circle with lines through it in square grid view) Then it sets about uploading all those originals.

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

sponsored links
dougsturgess
Joined Jul 2002
Oct 29, 2017 07:01 |  #2

Probably user error but I've been a lightroom user for > 10 years and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using LR classic (latest version) and it doesn't seem to be sorting my images correctly. Look at the attached screenshot. I have chosen to sort by capture time but as you can see, images that should be together in order of capture time are not. I code my DNGs red & my portfolio pics green. They should be together.

Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.comexternal link
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,622 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Oct 29, 2017 08:00 |  #3

If I wanted Lightroom CC 2017,,,,,,,I would just stick with Apple Photos that is well proven on MacOS and IOS. With Photos on the desktop there many different extensions (plugins) to chose from. Lightroom CC plugins?

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Oct 29, 2017 08:14 as a reply to MCAsan's post |  #4

Doug, you are in Classic. I haven’t seen that before. Is the metadata all correct?

Adobe even calls Classic their Desktop Editor. So here is what I do now. I use LRCC on my iPad to load all my images to the cloud. Then if I want to edit one with DxO or some other third party editor I jump into Classic and it pulls in all my CC images. I think Adobes mistake was in calling them 2different things. I agree the new CC desktop app is pretty pointless. But the new functionality does what I was after. I’m sure Adobe will clean it up.

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

dougsturgess
Joined Jul 2002
Oct 29, 2017 08:55 as a reply to randy98mtu's post |  #5

I'm using the standard desktop version, not the new cloud version. I've checked the times on the images, for example on the image with pine trees & snow. Both have identical dates & times yet aren't sorted together.

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.comexternal link
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

Redcrown
323 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 29, 2017 10:35 as a reply to dougsturgess's post |  #6

I use Bridge/ACR and that combo has never sorted correctly by capture date. However, if I purge the cache for the folder, which forces a rebuild, then it sorts correctly. I know that does not relate to Lightroom, but I suspect there is some minor corruption in your LR database.

You could first try to optimize the catalog. Second test might be to export those images as jpegs somewhere, then re-import them to see if they sort correctly. Third test might be to remove all the images from the catalog and re-import. Save any edits as sidecars first.

My new copy of LR 2018 classic sorts by capture date OK. But then I recently rebuilt the catalog from scratch and have not banged away on it with any edits. I do all my editing via Bridge/ACR and only import finished images to LR.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 29, 2017 18:14 |  #7

It's really hard to tell from that screenshot image if the order is correct or not, I don't see any capture times. The main times that I seem to have issues with images in the correct order is when using smart collections, I most use them, not the file system, and it seems to struggle when images have been stacked.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Mr_ipsum
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Oct 29, 2017 19:54 |  #8

I'm using Lightroom CC Classic, no issues so far, in fact it's working much faster and fluid than it used to. I also updated to High Sierra, I suspect the new OSX file system has something to do with it?

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Oct 29, 2017 20:17 as a reply to Mr_ipsum's post |  #9

I'm using it on 10.11.6. Very snappy here as well.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,123 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 30, 2017 00:48 |  #10

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18484258 (external link)
I'm using Lightroom CC Classic, no issues so far, in fact it's working much faster and fluid than it used to. I also updated to High Sierra, I suspect the new OSX file system has something to do with it?

Me too. The LR install took less than 5 minutes, found my catalogue, presets and preserved my defaults. Same thing for my laptop. I am running High Sierra on my iMac and Sierra on my MacBook Air. The export speeds are about 4 to 5 seconds instead of 9 to 10. It switches between Library and Develop instantaneously. Everything is responsive.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Mr_ipsum
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Nov 01, 2017 16:58 |  #11

I don't know, I'm just a amateur photographer so I just use what works for me. But I wonder how much of this is "hipster" mentality when it comes to image editing software. People prefer not to use popular software from big companies, in favor of other smaller less familiar apps?

Any merit to that?

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Nov 01, 2017 17:07 |  #12

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18486438 (external link)
I don't know, I'm just a amateur photographer so I just use what works for me. But I wonder how much of this is "hipster" mentality when it comes to image editing software. People prefer not to use popular software from big companies, in favor of other smaller less familiar apps?

Any merit to that?

No doubt some want to be different, but IMO most follow the crowd, most pick what others pick or what seems familiar.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,598 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom CC 2017 - Support for those staying with it
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.