Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 31 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 13:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Managing photos shooting RAW+JPEG

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Oct 31, 2017 13:58 |  #1

I've always shot purely RAW, but shooting for my son's soccer league I recorded RAW to one card and JPEG to the other due to the high volume of shots and being able to work more quickly with the JPEG images in Light Room. My question is, once I review the JPEG's and either flag the keepers or mark the rest as rejects, is there a quick way to sync this to the corresponding RAW files as well, either in LR or some other program?

sponsored links
Hannya
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2008
UK
Nov 01, 2017 05:05 |  #2

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with raw. set up your camera to expose properly and shoot jpg. OR just shoot RAW. Why on earth would you want to trawl through twice the pics when you have a 'high volume' of pics, a lot of which will be binned. Just sayin'.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Picsexternal link

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 01, 2017 08:10 as a reply to Hannya's post |  #3

Set my camera up to expose properly? Gee, why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

There's plenty of reasons to want to have both file types, but that isn't the purpose of this thread. I also have no intention of trawling through twice as many photos, as you say. Just wondering if there is a way to automate deletion of the RAW files once I have flagged the corresponding JPEGS as rejects.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 01, 2017 09:31 |  #4

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18486074 (external link)
Set my camera up to expose properly? Gee, why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

lol

do you have/use Bridge? Even with many images it loads quickly and can help you quickly rate images and sort them in to keepers or not keepers.

I have shot jpg and raw and attempted to do exactly what you are doing and it always ended up as a pain in the neck to match them up. Lately the only time I shoot jpg is if i need to quickly supply unprocessed FPO images to a client, which is exceedingly rare.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 01, 2017 09:44 |  #5

Yeah, my thought was that my computer is a bit snappier with the JPEG'S and with a slight boost to saturation and sharpness in camera most of them are good enough to go straight to my website. Then I could work from the RAW when someone actually places an order. All the games are middle of the afternoon so I'm often dealing with harsh shadows on players faces. The latest LR update seems to be noticeably faster in general so I may be able to just forget about the JPEG'S entirely.

That said, I did just find this plugin which looks like it will sync metadata (including flags) across multiple file types of the same image. I'll need to try the demo tonight but if it works it will be worth the $10. http://www.photographe​rs-toolbox.com ...comatic/index.php?s​ec=use (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Nov 01, 2017 21:16 as a reply to ShadowHillsPhoto's post |  #6

For anyone that's interested, Syncomatic, the plug-in I linked to in my above post works perfectly for what I wanted to do with it. I can look through all the JPEG's from a game and flag the rejects, and then use Syncomatic to automatically copy that flag setting to the corresponding RAW files. Then just select all the flagged photos and delete. It's a little slow doing a large batch of files, I tested it on two full games worth of files at once (1,758 images with RAW + JPEG so 3,516 total files) and it took probably a solid 10 minutes to work through them on my system, but it's completely automated.

sponsored links

724 views & 3 likes for this thread
Managing photos shooting RAW+JPEG
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.