Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 00:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Troubleshooting Flashpoint R2T-32 transmitter + R2 receiver (for non-R2 Streaklight)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Nov 02, 2017 00:44 |  #1

Ruling out user error at the outset will likely brand me a fool, but bring it on. ;-)a I just purchased a Flashpoint Streaklight (non-R2) along with the R2T-32 transmitter and the R2 receiver for non-R2 flashes. The test button of the transmitter triggers the flash, so I know the transmitter and receiver are talking. But the camera shutter release won't trip the flash. First I verified that the transmitter was firmly seated in the hotshoe. Then I double checked that the channel and group settings mirrored one another. Then I spent a good bit of time diagnosing my Fuji camera settings to make sure I wasn't wrecking things there. Finding no issues there is no comfort, because you're always thinking you probably overlooked something.

Then I tested the Streaklight with the Wave Commander transceiver set that came with the Streaklight, and I was successfully firing the flash with the camera.

If there are any known issues with this gear, I'm not aware of it. I haven't shot flash in over a year, so I haven't been following those discussions.

Am I correct in concluding that the transmitter pins of the R2T-32 aren't aligning correctly in the camera hotshoe? Or could something else be going on? Is there any treatment I can apply to the pins to improve the contact?

Any help will be much appreciated.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

inkista
485 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by inkista. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 02, 2017 01:49 |  #2

Just guessing, here. But.

The issue could be that the R2T 32 (XT32) transmitter is supposed to allow not only for sync and remote power control, but also HSS. But that requires system-dedication and there are only two versions of the XT32 out right now (Canon and Nikon). There is no Fuji version of the XT32. This isn't a simple manual-only trigger like the XT16 (external link) (which is single pin and therefore system agnostic, and which Adorama does not offer in a Flashpoint R2 version).

If you got the Canon version, the pins will hit the contacts on the Fuji hotshoe, so there could be some signal crosstalk that's preventing proper sync.

It would probably be better to return the XT32 and get an X1T-F (external link) (R2 TTL transmitter for Fuji) But be aware that the X1T-F must be at firmware v03 to get HSS with the XTR16 (R2 bridge for non-R2 Streaklight) receiver, and C.Fn must be set to 01 or 02. And that only four Fuji bodies can do HSS at this time: the X-T1, X-T2, X-T20 and X-Pro2 (and the X-T1 needs to have its firmware up past v5.00, preferably past v5.10). If you have an older body than that, you can't get HSS from it, because it can't do HSS at all.

Also, there's supposed to be an XPro-F transmitter with a much nicer UI than the X1T-F in the works.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

PineBomb
THREAD ­ STARTER
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Nov 02, 2017 08:28 as a reply to inkista's post |  #3

The camera is the X-E2, and the R2T-32 transmitter is the Canon version. I chose that because I've successfully used another transmitter designed for Canon on this camera body, and I know other shooters successfully using the R2T-32 on their Fuji cameras.

What I dislike about the X1T-F is that it's broad footprint obstructs access to the SS dial on the X-E2 and also the X-Pro2, which I intend to pick up soon. I only need manual flash.

I wasn't aware that only a limited selection of Fuji bodies could exploit the HSS. The X-E2 is the same sensor/processor generation as the X-T1 and X-T10 you mentioned. But since the X-E2 launched slightly earlier than those two cameras I suppose there may be some kind of hardware/circuitry distinction.

I should have posted my question in the Fuji sub-forum. That's what happens when you post questions at 2 a.m. Thanks for your comments.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

inkista
485 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by inkista.
Nov 02, 2017 14:06 |  #4

PineBomb wrote in post #18486805 (external link)
The camera is the X-E2, and the R2T-32 transmitter is the Canon version. I chose that because I've successfully used another transmitter designed for Canon on this camera body, and I know other shooters successfully using the R2T-32 on their Fuji cameras.

Interesting. I hadn't heard the XT32 worked on Fuji hotshoe. You could also try taping over the non-sync pins on the foot of the XT32. The sync pin is the one for the large contact in the center of the hotshoe.

What I dislike about the X1T-F is that it's broad footprint obstructs access to the SS dial on the X-E2 and also the X-Pro2, which I intend to pick up soon. I only need manual flash.

But would probably like HSS? The Godox XPro (external link) has a tilted display, so it won't obstruct anything. [So not looking forward to discussing this on Fuji forums where it will inevitably confusing as someone puts an XPro-F on their X-T1 and an X1T-F on their X-Pro2 (facepalm)].

I wasn't aware that only a limited selection of Fuji bodies could exploit the HSS. The X-E2 is the same sensor/processor generation as the X-T1 and X-T10 you mentioned. But since the X-E2 launched slightly earlier than those two cameras I suppose there may be some kind of hardware/circuitry distinction.

There are two additional new contacts on the flash hotshoe of newer Fuji X bodies, which I thought explained it, but the X-T20 doesn't have them, so that puts paid to that theory. :)

I'm basically assuming anything that can be firmware upgraded to use HSS with an EF-X500 can do HSS with the Godox triggers. AFAIK, the X-E2 cannot. The firmware update that includes HSS capability also includes a new flash control menu that allows you to select FP (HSS) flash. The Godox page for the X1T-F (external link) has the following compatibility table.

IMAGE: http://www.godox.com/EN/images/Products_Remote_Control_X1TF_TTL_Wireless_Flash_Trigger_09.jpg

And the A/B groups pretty much match the full-function/not-full-function groups for the EF-X500 on Fuji's flash/camera compatibility page (external link).

I should have posted my question in the Fuji sub-forum. That's what happens when you post questions at 2 a.m. Thanks for your comments.

No worries. The Fuji forum knows more about Fuji, but the Lighting forum probably knows a bit more about Godox.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Troubleshooting Flashpoint R2T-32 transmitter + R2 receiver (for non-R2 Streaklight)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.