Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 18:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Traveling with Lee Filters

cappo
Joined Jun 2012
Redondo Beach, CA
Nov 02, 2017 18:53 |  #1

This holiday season I'm going to be in Spain and Italy. I want to take my Lee Big Stopper since I will be near the coast in Southern Spain. It is probably not allowed as carrying on and was wondering how would you pack it? Is it even worth bringing it with me?

Feedback

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 02, 2017 19:08 |  #2

cappo wrote in post #18487256 (external link)
This holiday season I'm going to be in Spain and Italy. I want to take my Lee Big Stopper since I will be near the coast in Southern Spain. It is probably not allowed as carrying on and was wondering how would you pack it? Is it even worth bringing it with me?

Why wouldn't the Big Stopper be allowed as 'carry on'? I can't imagine there would be a problem with it. Even then, doesn't the Big Stopper come in a tin? Wouldn't that be enough protection if (strangely) it had to go in as hold baggage?

We buy this expensive stuff to use it. Otherwise, why bother? Take it with you.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Nov 02, 2017 19:14 |  #3

I've travelled in and out of Spain numerous times with a Grad ND filter in my bag and never had any problems, and I'd be surprised if anything has changed recently in that regard ... unless security forces worldwide organised a collective screening of the Bourne films and decided that Bic pens, towels and basically everything man-made can now be classified as a lethal weapon. If that is the case, then as DaviSto suggests, it can probably be safely tucked away in checked baggage.

If it's something you see yourself using then I would say it's worth trying to take it, especially I don't think the risks are that high.

Where is it that you'll be travelling in Spain?

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

cappo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Redondo Beach, CA
Nov 02, 2017 19:20 |  #4

I figured its glass and you can slice someones throat with it if cracked in right angle. I probably have watched too many Jason Bourne movies lol.

Feedback

cappo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Redondo Beach, CA
Nov 02, 2017 19:27 |  #5

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18487274 (external link)
Where is it that you'll be travelling in Spain?

Will be staying in Barcelona for a few days, then going to Malaga for a week. We will have a car rental in Malaga so I plan on not staying in one spot. Do you have any places you'd recommend? My only concern is we will be there during Christmas week, does it slow down over there?

Feedback

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Nov 02, 2017 19:47 |  #6

cappo wrote in post #18487287 (external link)
Will be staying in Barcelona for a few days, then going to Malaga for a week. We will have a car rental in Malaga so I plan on not staying in one spot. Do you have any places you'd recommend? My only concern is we will be there during Christmas week, does it slow down over there?

Last year was my first Christmas in Spain. I've lived here for a few years but generally returned to visit family at that time, and I learned a few things last year. Christmas Eve is when you may really struggle to find anything open or serving food. That is the day that Spanish people generally spend with their family rather than the 25th as in the Anglosphere. The 6th January - the Epiphany - is another important day for families with this being the traditional day when children receive gifts from the Reyes Magos. Other than that I don't recall too many difficulties, though that was in Valencia, the third biggest city in the country. Malaga is a bit smaller, although not too much. It might be more provincial, though sadly I've never been there ... I've met a few people from there who I'd like to visit though.

Malaga isn't all that far from Granada (along the cost to Motril and then up) so that's another area to look at. If you want to visit the Alhambra you'll need to book tickets in advance. Ronda is a known spot near Malaga, and there's also the Caminito del Rey. Alas Malaga is an area I've not visited yet.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

cappo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Redondo Beach, CA
Nov 02, 2017 19:59 |  #7

Thanks for the info on Christmas eve, I better pack a sandwich. I'll definitely try to visit the places you mentioned. The Caminito del Rey looks cool.

Feedback

sponsored links

215 views & 2 likes for this thread
Traveling with Lee Filters
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.