Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 16:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's a Vizsla

DigiBill
Joined May 2010
North of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 24 days ago by DigiBill.
Oct 28, 2017 16:02 |  #1

Went to a horse show today and came across this 9 weeks old Vizsla.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Oct 28, 2017 16:16 |  #2

A great bird dog. One of the pointers. Almost bought one myself but went with the black lab.

flickr (external link)

DigiBill
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
North of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Oct 28, 2017 20:07 |  #3

HOSTED PHOTO

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,010 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Post has been edited 18 days ago by Scoobert.
Nov 02, 2017 21:58 |  #4

They are absolutely great animals.

They are often called velcro dogs because they are always stuck to your @ss. They live up to this name, mine is never more than a few feet away and rarely more than a few inches :)

They are incredibly smart and can be taught to do most anything. Mine does everything by hand signals if its a noisy place if its not I never have to raise my voice. A simple and softly spoken "sit down please" results in her plopping her butt down and not moving until I do. Being bird dogs they like to smell and can get side tracked but they will constantly be looking back for you to show disapproval, you dont correct them and they will disappear quickly.
They only have one coat of fur (no under coat) unlike most dogs that have 2 coats, because of this they dont shed much and they keep themselves VERY clean. A lot of people with dog allergies will not have a problem being around a vizsla because they keep themselves so clean and dander free.
They also "talk" a lot. Moan, whimper and yawn. What ever it takes to get their point across. It's like living with a child sometimes :)

They do have some down sides though. Because they are so smart they dont handle negative interaction well at all. Positive reinforcement is the norm with them. They read and react to your moods and voice inflections more than most breeds. Hollering at anything (ie: smacking your hand with a hammer) will make them get fearful. Physically disciplining them at a young age and even later in life can ruin them.

Sorry if I over answer your question.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. We go most everywhere together.

She is a not a pure bred. Her mother is a pure Vizsla and her father was Vizsla/Rhodesian.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Nov 02, 2017 22:24 |  #5

One other thing to keep in mind, they are very high energy dogs and need to be run often, preferable daily. A tired Viz is a good Viz. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

294 views & 4 likes for this thread
What's a Vizsla
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.