Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 18:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom & Lens Profile Correction

alan_potter
wireless groping system
Joined May 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Nov 02, 2017 18:33 |  #1

I'm probably being silly here, but...

scenario - I have a bunch of photographs, some taken with lens A and some with lens B

I edit photo #1 and choose "Lens Cotrrections | Enable Profile Corrections". Bendy lines become straight - nice. I want to make this happen on all the photos - remember they are not all taken with the same lens.

So I go to Settings | Copy Settings. I then un-tick everything except Lens Corrections / Lens Profile Correction. I leave that ticked and click Copy. Then I go into Library mode, highlight all the pictures and choose "Photo | Develop Settings | Paste Settings"

What am I pasting? Is it:

a) "for each photo, find the lens that was used, find its profile and apply the corrections", or
b) "take the lens correction factors I've just copied and paste them into every photo"

I'm hoping it's a, but some confirmation would be nice!

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blogexternal link | flickrexternal link

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 02, 2017 19:54 |  #2

If you have it set to auto for the lens correction it will usually pick the correct lens for you, provided the camera/lens support this, and you have a lens profile. If you don't have a camera that supports profiles, or there is no profile, Auto doesn't work, and so it just leaves things alone until you go and sort it manually. I'm pretty sure that this will work when pasting, it certainly works like that for presets, which use the same selection dialogue. My 20d with my Sigma 28-300 doesn't support lens autodetection, and I don't have a profile for my Sigma 20-40 f/2.8 and most of my general use presets apply lens corrections. I don't apply them in my defaults, because I like to start with a very basic group of settings, I don't even have any sharpening applied in my initial default, just the basic 25 Colour Noise reduction, everything else zero'd.

alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 03, 2017 00:21 |  #3

Just got home and kinda late. You can set that up in Develop - Set Default Settings so lens corrections auto apply when you open a file. I have it set up for my workflow but a little differently than you want it. We'll check out in the morning.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by digital paradise. 5 edits done in total.
Nov 03, 2017 08:33 |  #4

Good morning. Had a a crazy week. After testing other developers I switched to subscription, set everything up for that, cancelled my Zenfolio account and set up a new website, someone in Jakarta tried to use my credit card number so I had to deal with that and yesterday I spent half the day trying to set up and sync two new iPhones with 3 other Apple devices. I could have used a 12 year old for the last part. :-)

I use the Default Settings feature that not only auto applies any lens I use but my colour, presence, process version and profile settings which are global and specific to ISO sharpening and NR adjustments.

First off you need decide how to set it up. Since my sharpening and NR adjustments change depending on ISO, I shoot at 1:1. 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on. To use all the in between values would be a nightmare.

In preferences decide how you want to set this up. If just want only the lens corrections to apply or other global settings check the first box. Use a file (image) and set the lens corrections or anything else you want auto applied.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 16 days ago by digital paradise.
Nov 03, 2017 08:36 |  #5

Then select Develop - Set Default Settings and this screen comes up. Select update to current settings. Now when you import files the lens corrections with the lens you used will apply.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by digital paradise. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 03, 2017 08:37 |  #6

In my case I set up two folders called 5D4 and 7D2 personal settings with images from each ISO. They don't have to be sharp or anything as you can see the first is shot. Think of them as storage bins and I make all my changes using them. If I tweak NR settings for my 7D2 at ISO 32,000 I do it there and then - Set Default Settings

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 16 days ago by digital paradise.
Nov 03, 2017 08:48 |  #7

The above procedures can be done with any lens attached. In lens corrections leave the Setup on Default and any lens you used will be recognized.

I had an issue where LR did not auto apply my 100-400 II and 1.4 III and it was on the list of lenses. If this happens do the following and you only need to do it once using any file.

Click on Setup and Reset Lens Profile Defaults. Make sure it does this. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

In the Lens Correction palette find the lens in Make and then Model.

Setup automatically changes to Custom.

Click on Setup and then on Save New Lens Profile Defaults.

Setup switches back to Default and new lens has been added. Now it will find it no matter which camera you are using.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

626 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom & Lens Profile Correction
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.