Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Mar 2017 (Wednesday) 15:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seriously thinking about moving to nikon

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Nov 02, 2017 04:02 |  #106

I am a Bird/Wildlife photographer. With regards to the Super Telephoto's 500/f4, 600/f4, 800/f5.6. I know of 4 people this year alone that have gone from equivalent expensive Nikon to Canon, there have been several also that went from Sigma to Canon. Canon's big Prime whites are just untouchable. I sit in Bird hides at least 2 days a week every week photographing birds flying by and birds in far distances with other bird photographers. Of course everyone compares their captures after seeing something and it's always Canon that takes the lead. I see this all the time and sometimes it just becomes embarrassing for the Canon users to show their shots when asked because the captures are much more superior all round.

It can be challenging for any photography equipment to take a photo of a 4 inch bird amongst bracken/foilage/reeds/​tree branches at 50 metres away and this is where Canon has the edge over it's competitors.

I'm sure Canon have got left behind on their smaller primes and smaller telephoto/zooms which I do not dispute but from my experience the top bird/wildlife photographers that I know and have met use Canon and I see mostly their photo's in all the monthly bird magazines/publications on a much more regular basis.

Gear List

sponsored links
EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Nov 02, 2017 18:33 |  #107

PCousins wrote in post #18486725 (external link)
I am a Bird/Wildlife photographer. With regards to the Super Telephoto's 500/f4, 600/f4, 800/f5.6. I know of 4 people this year alone that have gone from equivalent expensive Nikon to Canon, there have been several also that went from Sigma to Canon. Canon's big Prime whites are just untouchable. I sit in Bird hides at least 2 days a week every week photographing birds flying by and birds in far distances with other bird photographers. Of course everyone compares their captures after seeing something and it's always Canon that takes the lead. I see this all the time and sometimes it just becomes embarrassing for the Canon users to show their shots when asked because the captures are much more superior all round.

It can be challenging for any photography equipment to take a photo of a 4 inch bird amongst bracken/foilage/reeds/​tree branches at 50 metres away and this is where Canon has the edge over it's competitors.

I'm sure Canon have got left behind on their smaller primes and smaller telephoto/zooms which I do not dispute but from my experience the top bird/wildlife photographers that I know and have met use Canon and I see mostly their photo's in all the monthly bird magazines/publications on a much more regular basis.

It's not that unbelievable that 4 of your Audubon Blind Club buddies have traded in their Sigma long glass for Canon,... that's in line with the two ranking lists I've seen. Like I said above, Sigma glass is the only glass Canon is outselling in the 70-200 f/2.8 class,... would be surprising if that weren't the case in other neighboring categories. What is a little less believable is that Nikon shooters are jumping over to Canon just to use Canon glass,... especially since the most popular wildlife body at the moment (in sales) is the Nikon D500.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 02, 2017 19:12 |  #108

EricJrSax wrote in post #18487242 (external link)
It's not that unbelievable that 4 of your Audubon Blind Club buddies have traded in their Sigma long glass for Canon,... that's in line with the two ranking lists I've seen. Like I said above, Sigma glass is the only glass Canon is outselling in the 70-200 f/2.8 class,... would be surprising if that weren't the case in other neighboring categories. What is a little less believable is that Nikon shooters are jumping over to Canon just to use Canon glass,... especially since the most popular wildlife body at the moment (in sales) is the Nikon D500.

We have a few very popular rookeries here in Florida. I spend quite a bit of time at several of them. I'd have to say, this past year, it was about even on the high end between Nikon and Canon. Nikon D4s (I didn't see any D5's. I don't recall when it was released but one guy told me..... I'm waiting for the D5S) ...Canon 1D X's and some 2's, all using super telephoto prime lenses with a smattering of 200-400 w/1.4X f/4. On the budget limited side, there were a ton of 7D2's with the 100-400L ii. It wasn't even close... probably 90% were Canon shooters.

It will be very interesting this coming Spring. I'll bet I see a lot of Nikon D500's with their 200-500 lens.

Of course, this isn't a scientific poll, just my observations. I found the Nikon guys just as pleasant as the Canon shooters. We're all there to get photographs so we don't chat a lot.... but there are lulls in the action so we do discuss what we like about Canon and Nikon, respectively.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

craig_k
203 posts
Joined Mar 2012
lubbock texas
Post has been edited 17 days ago by craig_k.
Nov 02, 2017 20:47 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #109

The best reason I can think of is that with Nikon you actually receive printed versions of the full operational manuals.....from my recent experience with a canon high end body purchase it only came with a 100 page "basic manual" and a fold out quick start cheat sheet. I am assuming the full 1200-1500 page instructional manual that goes into actual detail of how to use all the features of your new multi-thousand dollar body is available on-line somewhere, like you've got access to wifi- electricity-connections at all times any where you could possible be.
I called up one of the Nikon Ambassadors I know well and ask if you got full instructional manuals included with any purchase of Nikon from flagship model down to basic entry model in which he replied ......absolutely!!!!!!​!!! without question.!!
For canon to have the galactically stupid, 100% arrogant attitude that a fully operational printed version manual is cost prohibitive and "just not environmental friendly" is ludicrous and totally off base insane hogwash. These new higher end machines are the most sophisticated, highly complex tools any practitioner could hope to get their hands on. But to pay multi-thousands for a complex machine without any printed version of a full instructional manual because "everyone has a smart phone"is off the planet completely out of touch with reality, mindset for corporate mandate and to exhibit.

feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=15029315&postco​unt=36656
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​83
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​93
nice bodies, L-lenses, rrs, 1600 alien bees,pelican cases..."lots of try"

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Post has been edited 17 days ago by EricJrSax.
Nov 03, 2017 09:07 |  #110

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18487272 (external link)
We have a few very popular rookeries here in Florida. I spend quite a bit of time at several of them. I'd have to say, this past year, it was about even on the high end between Nikon and Canon. Nikon D4s (I didn't see any D5's. I don't recall when it was released but one guy told me..... I'm waiting for the D5S) ...Canon 1D X's and some 2's, all using super telephoto prime lenses with a smattering of 200-400 w/1.4X f/4. On the budget limited side, there were a ton of 7D2's with the 100-400L ii. It wasn't even close... probably 90% were Canon shooters.

It will be very interesting this coming Spring. I'll bet I see a lot of Nikon D500's with their 200-500 lens.

Of course, this isn't a scientific poll, just my observations. I found the Nikon guys just as pleasant as the Canon shooters. We're all there to get photographs so we don't chat a lot.... but there are lulls in the action so we do discuss what we like about Canon and Nikon, respectively.

Yeah,... it's pretty much even in Nikonland that they missed the mark on the D5. Half love it, and the other half are either cool on it or hate it at full military speed. Your buddy is pretty much reflects what everyone is doing now,... waiting for the D5s. Rumor has the release of the D5s as being closer than not, along with an updated D750. But you know how rumors go!

Surprised you haven't seen a lot of that D500/200-500mf/5.6E duo this past shooting season. That 200-500 is an excellent piece of long glass, especially for the price. Some say it even out performs one or two of Nikon's older long primes,... wouldn't know that because I've never been fortunately enough to shoot with any of Nikon's long pro primes. But I own the 200-500 f/5.6E and it sure is one sharp long zoom. I don't shoot a lot of birds,... my main interests are sports, exotic cars, and portraits, but here's a SOC shot of the U.S.S Battle Frigate Constellation,... sister ship to the U.S.S. Constitution a.k.a. Old Iron Sides. I took this shot last November from Federal Hill with the 200-500 attached to my D810 while she was docked in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Straight out of camera image quality and sharpness for under $1,400 is amazing,... and there's more in there with a little work in post. Shots with it attached to my D500 are just as clean, but with a 750mm reach!

In the end,... Nikon vs Canon vs Sony can matter, but it really doesn't! Just take the shot!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 03, 2017 09:34 |  #111

EricJrSax wrote in post #18487586 (external link)
Yeah,... it's pretty much even in Nikonland that they missed the mark on the D5. Half love it, and the other half are either cool on it or hate it at full military speed. Your buddy is pretty much reflects what everyone is doing now,... waiting for the D5s. Rumor has the release of the D5s as being closer than not, along with an updated D750. But you know how rumors go!

Surprised you haven't seen a lot of that D500/200-500mf/5.6E duo this past shooting season. That 200-500 is an excellent piece of long glass, especially for the price. Some say it even out performs one or two of Nikon's older long primes,... wouldn't know that because I've never been fortunately enough to shoot with any of Nikon's long pro primes. But I own the 200-500 f/5.6E and it sure is one sharp long zoom. I don't shoot a lot of birds,... my main interests are sports, exotic cars, and portraits, but here's a SOC shot of the U.S.S Battle Frigate Constellation,... sister ship to the U.S.S. Constitution a.k.a. Old Iron Sides. I took this shot last November from Federal Hill with the 200-500 attached to my D810 while she was docked in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Straight out of camera image quality and sharpness for under $1,400 is amazing,... and there's more in there with a little work in post. Shots with it attached to my D500 are just as clean, but with a 750mm reach!

In the end,... Nikon vs Canon vs Sony can matter, but it really doesn't! Just take the shot!
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by EricJrSax in
./showthread.php?p=184​87586&i=i264450605
forum: Changing Camera Brands

We have family living in Baltimore. We lived in Eastern PA for around 30 years before coming down here. We always had a good time walking around the Inner Harbor after they redid it...Has it remained nice?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Nov 03, 2017 11:53 |  #112

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18487605 (external link)
We have family living in Baltimore. We lived in Eastern PA for around 30 years before coming down here. We always had a good time walking around the Inner Harbor after they redid it...Has it remained nice?

Yes it has,... just don't venture too far away after the sun goes down. Nah,... just joking to feed the stereo-type Baltimore has undeservedly taken on here lately. A few weeks back, there were some incidents with roving and roaming bans of youths berserking and viking. But that's laid to rest by the police and 'hopefully',... their parents! For the most part, the areas where most of Baltimore's violent crimes take place are far and removed from the Inner Harbor! I shoot there a lot,... especially down in the area around Ft. McHenry!

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 03, 2017 12:04 |  #113

EricJrSax wrote in post #18487703 (external link)
Yes it has,... just don't venture too far away after the sun goes down. Nah,... just joking to feed the stereo-type Baltimore has undeservedly taken on here lately. A few weeks back, there were some incidents with roving and roaming bans of youths berserking and viking. But that's laid to rest by the police and 'hopefully',... their parents! For the most part, the areas where most of Baltimore's violent crimes take place are far and removed from the Inner Harbor! I shoot there a lot,... especially down in the area around Ft. McHenry!

I'm glad to hear that.... It's a lovely place.

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Post has been last edited 17 days ago by EricJrSax. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 03, 2017 12:57 |  #114

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18487715 (external link)
I'm glad to hear that.... It's a lovely place.

Yeah,... I love Baltimore! It's home for me,... we live in Owing's Mill, which is just outside Baltimore proper, but I'm still a proud child of the Baltimore metro community, and I bleed Purple during the Fall and Winter, and Orange coming every Spring and Summer! Besides,... Baltimore has some of the best Jazz around. AND,... some of the best street photography feed-stock outside of DC, NYC and maybe Philly!

davesrose
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 03, 2017 17:13 |  #115

EricJrSax wrote in post #18487731 (external link)
Yeah,... I love Baltimore! It's home for me,... we live in Owing's Mill, which is just outside Baltimore proper, but I'm still a proud child of the Baltimore metro community, and I bleed Purple during the Fall and Winter, and Orange coming every Spring and Summer! Besides,... Baltimore has some of the best Jazz around. AND,... some of the best street photography feed-stock outside of DC, NYC and maybe Philly!

Oh, instead of Nikon vs Canon....best Jazz city might be the ultimate debate ;-)a:lol: IMO, best is still New Orleans. Here in the ATL, rap is best known....but we have a top notch symphony that records Telarc albums, and the jazz fests aren't bad either.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShutterKlick
71 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 03, 2017 19:16 |  #116

I have a Nikon, and I love my Nikon (D5300). Would I suggest someone switch over for DR? NO!
I chose Nikon for a LOT of reasons which I will not waste the space here because its not
relevant, however I will state.. I was starting from scratch, not changing systems.. So I
chose Nikon as a start and have been building on it every since.

Machinery (external link) is a LOT cheaper if you are wanting increased DR.

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
Philaburbia
Nov 03, 2017 19:58 |  #117

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18487971 (external link)
I have a Nikon, and I love my Nikon (D5300). Would I suggest someone switch over for DR? NO!
I chose Nikon for a LOT of reasons which I will not waste the space here because its not
relevant, however I will state.. I was starting from scratch, not changing systems.. So I
chose Nikon as a start and have been building on it every since.

Machinery (external link) is a LOT cheaper if you are wanting increased DR.

Andrew

true

how about ability to use spot metering that is attached to af point?

BAG Reviews, master list!
Nikon D850/750, Sigma 12-24 f4 Art, Nikkor Glass: 20 f1.8G ED, 28 f1.4E ED FL, 58 f1.4G, 105 f1.4E ED FL, 70-200 f2.8E VR ED FL, 24-70 f2.8E VR ED FL
Sony RX100V

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Nov 03, 2017 20:08 |  #118

davesrose wrote in post #18487900 (external link)
Oh, instead of Nikon vs Canon....best Jazz city might be the ultimate debate ;-)a:lol: IMO, best is still New Orleans. Here in the ATL, rap is best known....but we have a top notch symphony that records Telarc albums, and the jazz fests aren't bad either.

Well you have me there,... New Orleans is the birthplace of it all. Beyond dispute,... no need to convene Congress to sort that out. Rap? What's that? Whatever it is, I'm sure Atlanta does well at it. LOL!

davesrose
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 16 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 03, 2017 20:36 |  #119

EricJrSax wrote in post #18488002 (external link)
Well you have me there,... New Orleans is the birthplace of it all. Beyond dispute,... no need to convene Congress to sort that out. Rap? What's that? Whatever it is, I'm sure Atlanta does well at it. LOL!

LOL, well aparently I'm out of it, as wikipedia says that Atlanta is known for hip-hop (shows my age to not know the difference), R&B, neo-soul, gospel, then classical and indie rock:) Rap is too general:) I like a lot of different music and have seen some good acts come through (one year, saw the Derick Trucks and Susan Tedeschi band play on New Years eve: best blues band). Like most rock and there are good small venues around. Then Atlanta symphony has some really great stuff.

I also have a background in the visual arts. So our main art museum, the High has gotten better. But it doesn't hold a candle to the National galleries in DC:-)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 03, 2017 22:07 |  #120

davesrose wrote in post #18488018 (external link)
LOL, well aparently I'm out of it, as wikipedia says that Atlanta is known for hip-hop (shows my age to not know the difference), R&B, neo-soul, gospel, then classical and indie rock:) Rap is too general:) I like a lot of different music and have seen some good acts come through (one year, saw the Derick Trucks and Susan Tedeschi band play on New Years eve: best blues band). Like most rock and there are good small venues around. Then Atlanta symphony has some really great stuff.

I also have a background in the visual arts. So our main art museum, the High has gotten better. But it doesn't hold a candle to the National galleries in DC:-)

Derek Trucks is one amazing slide guitarist..... he reminds me of Duane Allman...the highest compliment I can give to someone who plays electric slide guitar. The Trucks Tedeschi band is truly one of a kind,currently..... like the original Allmans.

I didn't start exploring great music until I was in my mid 30s (long story). A friend recommended buying the Rolling Stones Record Guide.... long since out of print. I have most of the 5 star albums in it and the later edition as well. You know.... back when people read books. ;)

sponsored links

10,788 views & 121 likes for this thread
Seriously thinking about moving to nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.