Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 31 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 03:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Computer for Photoshop Etc.

Jocce
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Oct 31, 2017 03:58 |  #1

Time to upgrade my Desktop Computer that I use for Image-Editing.

It is mainly used for Photo-Editing (Raw-Files and Photoshop), but also needs to handle some smaller Video-Edits.

It also runs as a Plex-Media Server, so it should handle streaming 1080P movies with DTS-sound (not at the same time as Photo-Editing though ;) )

I don't want to build it my self, so something ready of the shelf would be nice.

Budget? Well hard to say, since the Prices in US is probably a lot difference to in Sweden.

So, any tips of any good "of the shelf" Desktop/Workstations for Photoediting?

/Jocce

Feel free to correct my English. I'm from Sweden ;)

My Website (external link)
Fotointresse.se (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Post has been edited 17 days ago by Jocce.
Oct 31, 2017 03:59 |  #2

I got this suggestion from a Swedish chain that sells Computers and also builds them:

ASUS Prime Z270-A - ATX / Z270
be quiet! PowerSupply (PSU) Pure Power 9 CM 500W 80+
Cooler Master CPU Kylare Hyper 212 Evo - Socket 775 /115X / 1366 / AM3+ / FM1
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 2666MHz /DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 2666MHz /DDR4 / CL16 / CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
EVGA PowerSupply (PSU) 500B Bronze 500W
Fractal Design Define R5 - Black Pearl (Ej PSU)
Intel Core i7-7700K - 8 trådar / 4.2GHz (4,5Ghz Turbo) / 8MB / Socket 1151
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 AERO ITX 2G OCV1
Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 500GB (MZ-75E500B/EU)
Webhallen Custom Config - Montering av dator
Windows 10 Home 64-bit DVD Swedish OEM

Looks ok?
Any ideas?

(Disk for storage I already have)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

alex66
200 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Oct 31, 2017 06:04 |  #3

It looks quite good, though perhaps if the motherboard can take 32gig as 2x 16 sticks go for that so you can add another 32gig later, personally I would add a 4+TB hard drive for data photos documents and so on. I have used Be_quiet PSU's for a while in the family PC has been running for 7 years and its on almost 24/7. An internal HD will work faster than an external, getting it custom made seems like the best option.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 31, 2017 06:38 |  #4

I was going to raise the why not two 16 GB RAM modules too. Having a year old Dell system, of similar spec, except an i7 6700, only 16 GB RAM and crucially only a 256 GB SSD I'm glad to see that you have a suggested 5oo GB device. Although the 256 GB SSD is plenty large enough for Windows and all my programs, having my Lr catalogue and previews on there have been problematical. It probably doesn't help that I'm also running a 5K display, so my full screen previews are actually larger than 100% a lot of the time.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
b.c. canada
Oct 31, 2017 09:25 |  #5

Don't know how it works over there,,but in north America off the self computers come with alot of crapware. If you have one built by a bigbox type store,,,I would make sure they don"t add in crapware also. Have you explored the options for a small shop to build you one? not a expert,,,the only thing that stood out to me on the build you showed is the power supply seemed a little on the low side.

I am going to buy a parrot. Then going to teach the parrot to say " Help ! I've been turned into a parrot "

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,821 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Oct 31, 2017 12:06 |  #6

keeperseeker wrote in post #18485377 (external link)
Don't know how it works over there,,but in north America off the self computers come with alot of crapware. If you have one built by a bigbox type store,,,I would make sure they don"t add in crapware also. Have you explored the options for a small shop to build you one? not a expert,,,the only thing that stood out to me on the build you showed is the power supply seemed a little on the low side.

500w is more than enough for the hardware listed.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 17 days ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 31, 2017 12:21 |  #7

You don't need much for still photo editing.

For video, you're saying smaller files which suggests maybe you mean basically sometimes dealing with a video but definitely not building around the idea of full-on video editing, I assume?

You won't see much performance increase over 4 cores in Adobe's pixel editors and lightroom. But you could shoot for more cores if you ever plan on really pushing into video more. Short small videos will be fine with a quad core.

You can't have too much RAM, so get all you can. Seems you already went for 32Gb, that's great. 8Gb is a starting point in my opinion, but you can also just test it yourself (load all your software, load the typical load of images, start editing, turn on resource monitor in Windows and see how much RAM you actually use). It also depends on whether you let windows handle memory and turn off it's ability to use a disk for memory plus your RAM, or if you want to have it all in your RAM and disable that (for performance purpose). If you go that route, consider as much RAM as you can (16~32Gb). I use 16Gb and never fill it with several images loaded in photoshop and lots of software running. But it depends on what you're doing.

SSD for your scratch disk and working disk. Fat HDD for storage (temp storage).

You don't need a GPU unless you're specific using software that truly benefits from it, and only if it benefits it greater than what a good CPU can do. GPU's have a lot more place in video editing these days than still-image pixel editors still. Maybe one day that will change. But there is some support for GPU's in the later versions of Adobes RAW editors and pixel editors. Unless you're looking to game or something, I'd just put this extra cash into the best CPU you can muster and copious memory. You can always add a GPU later if you find a need for it. A very basic GPU may be nice for simply handling a display or three, if your motherboard can't do it. Your call.

Budget in a good uninterruptible power supply, worth it to avoid brown/black outs of electricity while working so you don't lose a ton of work. Just needs to handle the machine long enough to save stuff and power down, or just to survive a power flicker and not dump everything. Obviously up to you if this is important or not. Depends if you've lost work due to a power ficker or outage before.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about the display or multiple displays you want to work with? That goes into the budget too. Unless you already have displays you're happy with? Personally, I consider displays to be very important, they're the end product of what your machine is doing that you interface with and command, so having big, excellent monitors to me is essential over some other things. And multi-display is another wonderful things that I consider essential and not just a luxury. But this is my own perspective, just thinking out loud.

Do you have links to pre-built places where you live?

I get you want to buy it pre-made, but there's a satisfaction to building your own, and knowing how to replace bits of it, and trouble shoot that is valuable in the future when things aren't going right or you need to replace something...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Oct 31, 2017 22:25 |  #8

That's fine. You probably don't need the K CPU. You don't need a fast video card, I'd get the lowest in the range of the latest generation of nVidia, mostly so you can use multiple monitors if required - I use the graphics logic inside my 2600K CPU. You can do fine with 16GB, you're unlikely to ever want more than 32GB. I'd get a smaller SSD (256GB is fine, I use 120GB) for OS / programs and a large disk for images.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Nov 01, 2017 03:44 |  #9

Regarding monitors, I already have two that I am satisfied with! :)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Nov 02, 2017 03:52 |  #10

Did some changes after talking to a friend, what do you think?

ASUS DVD Writer DRW-24D5MT SATA DRW-24D5MT/BLK/B/AS - Bulk
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX Strix 1050 Ti 4GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) / 2400MHz / DDR4 / CL14 / CMK32GX4M2A2400C14
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (MZ-V6E500BW)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 02, 2017 13:30 |  #11

Looks fine. You probably want a hard drive for bulk storage, and once again, you probably don't need the K CPU to overclock. You get relatively little gain in practical terms, the bottleneck is usually the user.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Nov 03, 2017 08:08 |  #12

Jocce wrote in post #18486720 (external link)
Did some changes after talking to a friend, what do you think?

ASUS DVD Writer DRW-24D5MT SATA DRW-24D5MT/BLK/B/AS - Bulk
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX Strix 1050 Ti 4GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) / 2400MHz / DDR4 / CL14 / CMK32GX4M2A2400C14
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (MZ-V6E500BW)

/Jocce

I recently built a similar system, just some thoughts:

Case: Consider a Define S without a window (quieter), and an external dvd writer, if you do not need normal hdd’s. More space for air, cooler.

Consider Windows 10 pro, because with it you can suppress automatic updates (forced reboots) which can destroy your work when sleeping.

RAM: get at least 3000Mhz, because it gives you bigger chance of compatibility to future CPU updates. You can run RAM slower for extra cooling and stability.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 03, 2017 14:30 |  #13

Pekka wrote in post #18487561 (external link)
I recently built a similar system, just some thoughts:

RAM: get at least 3000Mhz, because it gives you bigger chance of compatibility to future CPU updates. You can run RAM slower for extra cooling and stability.

I wonder if the days of CPU upgrades are pretty much over. You choose your motherboard, CPU, and RAM, they work as a set. If you want to change CPU you probably have to change the other two.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 03, 2017 16:24 |  #14

tim wrote in post #18487795 (external link)
I wonder if the days of CPU upgrades are pretty much over. You choose your motherboard, CPU, and RAM, they work as a set. If you want to change CPU you probably have to change the other two.

For quite some time, you've been limited to upgrade paths from your motherboard due to chipset requirements of RAM and CPU bus speeds. I still have one workstation I built in 2009 that was very high end back then. I've been able to include a SSD and USB 3 PCI board with it. It's memory speed is limited compared to today's standards, but it's still good at rendering because of dual quad core Xeon processors. I think the only time the dedicated CPU upgrades had benefits were the early 90s. Back when companies like Cyrix were making a name for themselves for creating upgrade processors to make your 386 a 486 class machine, or to upgrade SX (non-floating point) to DX (floating point enabled) processors.

Also, when it comes to Windows 10 and automatic updates/restarts...the​re are some hacks (even with Home edition), that will prevent restarts during evening hours.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

583 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Computer for Photoshop Etc.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.