Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 16:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Size Beauty Dish

flufflewaffle
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been edited 22 days ago by flufflewaffle.
Nov 02, 2017 16:22 |  #1

Hello:
Apologies in advance if this question has been already answered, but I couldn't find it. I did find this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=874480 but the photos won't show so I still have no idea what I'm looking for.
I'm looking to do face shots, with maybe half - 3/4 shots of my subject.
I'm looking to get a beauty dish but don't really know how size plays a factor in lighting (aside from the bigger probably the more area of lighting).
If I was looking to just get face shots, what size BD's would be sufficient, and then subsequently for half -3/4 shots?
If you can also recommend brands that would be great! I do need something that has a Bowens mount though.
Thanks!

sponsored links
shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 02, 2017 21:08 |  #2

flufflewaffle wrote in post #18487138 (external link)
Hello:
Apologies in advance if this question has been already answered, but I couldn't find it. I did find this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=874480 but the photos won't show so I still have no idea what I'm looking for.
I'm looking to do face shots, with maybe half - 3/4 shots of my subject.
I'm looking to get a beauty dish but don't really know how size plays a factor in lighting (aside from the bigger probably the more area of lighting).
If I was looking to just get face shots, what size BD's would be sufficient, and then subsequently for half -3/4 shots?
If you can also recommend brands that would be great! I do need something that has a Bowens mount though.
Thanks!

Well not sure how much you want to spend but my all time favorite is the Mola Setti. Other cheaper options would be something from Fotodiox which are easier to carry but the Mola is truly special in the way it creates highlights and its light fall off.
Not cheap though.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Osa713.
Nov 02, 2017 23:42 |  #3

It all depends on how big of a light source you want and also some thoughts can be found here.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​483850

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,421 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Nov 02, 2017 23:49 |  #4

Inside studio or outside. I would start with 22". If my wife won't say anything I would have that 28" Mola also, maybe even the bigger one.:) Right now I just have Kacey 22" and like it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

tdlavigne
304 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Nov 03, 2017 00:53 |  #5

shaolin95 wrote in post #18487342 (external link)
Well not sure how much you want to spend but my all time favorite is the Mola Setti. Other cheaper options would be something from Fotodiox which are easier to carry but the Mola is truly special in the way it creates highlights and its light fall off.
Not cheap though.

My fave as well. Bordering on downright magical lighting. Only problem is it's ridiculously large and heavy. I don't think I could shoot on location with it, at least not without a truck (it'd eat most of the space in my trunk as is) and a strapping young assistant/gopher.

A decent budget option is the speedotron dish, I've used that as well, and while it's not as nice as the Mola Demi (the falloff isn't as smooth, there's vaguely noticeable transitions) it's super cheap and i've heard of others modifying it to fit other lights.

shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 03, 2017 10:34 |  #6

tdlavigne wrote in post #18487439 (external link)
My fave as well. Bordering on downright magical lighting. Only problem is it's ridiculously large and heavy. I don't think I could shoot on location with it, at least not without a truck (it'd eat most of the space in my trunk as is) and a strapping young assistant/gopher.

A decent budget option is the speedotron dish, I've used that as well, and while it's not as nice as the Mola Demi (the falloff isn't as smooth, there's vaguely noticeable transitions) it's super cheap and i've heard of others modifying it to fit other lights.

I hear you about the size. You should see me fitting it in my Chevrolet Spark :D

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Angmo.
Nov 03, 2017 11:08 |  #7

I don't feel one BD will do all things in all situations. I use two BD. One 17" and one 27". I feel the 17" is a bit too small. 22" would be a better choice. The larger, tosses more light and covers more with less fall off for 3/4 work. I have grids for both.

The 27" has 2 grids. The usual black grid and a white grid. I tried the white grid to obtain a kind of "glowy" look compared to a black grid. Have not used it enough to post a decent look I'm after yet.

I am accepting donations for a couple Molas...:grin:

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

flufflewaffle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Nov 03, 2017 13:03 |  #8

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I'll probably go with a 22" for face shots for now. I've been looking around and some have a white vs a silver colouring. I'm not too familiar with the differences so if someone is able to explain that would be much appreciated!

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 20 days ago by Angmo.
Nov 03, 2017 13:26 |  #9

flufflewaffle wrote in post #18487736 (external link)
Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I'll probably go with a 22" for face shots for now. I've been looking around and some have a white vs a silver colouring. I'm not too familiar with the differences so if someone is able to explain that would be much appreciated!

The silver will be sharper or more specular. The white will be a bit softer. My 17" is white, 27" is silver. I prefer silver - it just gives that small punch I prefer.

It's a choice. I prefer silver. Some love what they achieve with white.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,421 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Nov 03, 2017 16:39 |  #10

White here.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Osa713.
Nov 03, 2017 17:11 |  #11

For my style I like the look of silver for darker skin tones and white for lighter skin tones.

As you play around with the two you will see the difference and which one suits you best.

sponsored links

1,725 views & 7 likes for this thread
What Size Beauty Dish
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.