Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Oct 2017 (Monday) 07:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is this a focusing problem (50D vs EOS M)

davebg
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 30, 2017 07:54 |  #1

Two days ago i bought a used EOS M as a second body - it was dirty cheap and coming with an EF adapter so i decided why not to try it for the cases i don't want to carry my heavy 50D. After doing some shots i was amazed to discover that even though the EOS M is focusing slower and is sometimes hunting and struggling to get focus the actual photos with some of my lens are better than with my 50D.

Below i have uploaded 2 100% crops from untouched raw files (sorry for the difference in size, i used the lame windows snipping tool). They are taken with Sigma 10-20 lens wide open at 10mm. The upper one is from my 50D and the lower is from the EOS M. The crop from the EOS M is quite better than the one from the 50D. I'm wondering - is this due to focusing issues which can be compensated with the built in focus correction in the 50D or there's some other issue? Or there's no focusing issue, it's just the age of the 50D sensor vs the newer one found in the EOS M (which i honestly don't believe).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
davebg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 30, 2017 08:06 |  #2

This is taken with EF 85 1.8 wide open, left is EOS M, right is 50D. Again it seems that the EOS M managed to take a better shot with more details. Any ideas?

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 22 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 30, 2017 08:45 |  #3

Probably more an issue of differences in AA filters. A wide angle like the 10-20 has a huge DOF, so this cannot really be a case of front or back focusing.

Also, were these processed the same way? Either in-camera settings if producing JPGs, or same raw processing if going from raw to JPG after the shot...?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

davebg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 30, 2017 09:00 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #4

Actually the crops are from the CR2s produced by the 2 cameras and no processing was done. I am trying almost all my lens now and i'm not very happy to discover that the EOS M really produces a clearer overall image than the 50D. I really wonder if this is due to the newer sensor found in the EOS M or my 50D has some issue.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,241 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 30, 2017 09:25 |  #5

For the 50D did you use LV focusing or PD focusing? Has the lens been MFA'ed to the 50D body? Before looking at differences like a more aggressive AA filter, I would make sure that both images are taken in identical conditions the same way.

First image I would use LV only zoomed in 10x and manually focus to make sure I have the best possible focus I can get. This establishes a base line as the best the bodies can do. Then from there. Test LV-AF on both and finally PD on the 50D.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 30, 2017 10:21 |  #6

Just a moderate amount of USM sharpens up the 50D to be even better than the EOS-M. This coupled with the fact that an UWA has infinite DOF leads me to believe that the AA filter is simply more aggressive on the 50D, which is something we knew back in the day anyways, until Canon started to make the AA filter less aggressive with the 70D, etc.

paddler4
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 21 days ago by paddler4.
Oct 31, 2017 16:24 |  #7

You can't tell whether there is a front- or back-focusing problem with images like this because everything is on one plane, equidistant from the camera. You need something close to perpendicular to the sensor to see whether it is focusing too far forward or back.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.comexternal link

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Nov 02, 2017 22:03 |  #8

I'm sorry, but when someone says 'no processing was done' that immediately raises a red flag to me. There is always processing.

Also, when you say 'the crops are from the CR2's', again a red flag - you can't crop a raw file, it is not an image.

If these are out of camera .jpegs, it could just be the M has more sharpening by default in-camera. If not then you need to know that the software you are using to process the raw file is applying exactly the same process to each file (just because you think it is, does not mean it actually is). Every raw converter has it's own camera profiles.

Of course, it might well be a fair comparison and due to the AA filter. We had all the 'my 7D is soft' threads, I don't remember 'my 50D is soft' threads, but maybe that is due to a difference in expectations.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 03, 2017 14:04 |  #9

Oh yes there were indeed 50d soft threads... :)

Sgt.
Joined Aug 2006
Cambridge,Ontario
Nov 03, 2017 16:48 as a reply to ejenner's post |  #10

So, can you suggest how one would post a RAW file?

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 03, 2017 17:20 as a reply to Sgt.'s post |  #11

Members do it regularly with dropbox. As for this thread, I'm sure you can equalize the 5D photos through some more sharpening.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,241 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Nov 03, 2017 17:21 |  #12

Sgt. wrote in post #18487887 (external link)
So, can you suggest how one would post a RAW file?

Forget the raw file stuff, if you are really interested, re-do the test but use live view focusing and manually focus zoomed in 10x to get the perfect focus. Then you can be certain any difference is due to the camera and not focusing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

1,650 views & 1 like for this thread
Is this a focusing problem (50D vs EOS M)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.