Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 20:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Might take the plunge - xt20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 29, 2017 23:19 as a reply to post 18484364 |  #16

Yes I did elaborate on video where it wasn’t really Part of the discussion. However the dual pixel autofocus is something that the M5 uses for both video and autofocus. It’s a wicked technology that sets the bar to some degree.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,826 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Oct 30, 2017 00:35 |  #17

AlanU wrote in post #18484377 (external link)
Yes I did elaborate on video where it wasn’t really Part of the discussion. However the dual pixel autofocus is something that the M5 uses for both video and autofocus. It’s a wicked technology that sets the bar to some degree.

For video I'd agree that it sets the bar, for stills... not so much. Any reviews I've read say it's at best on par with Sony/Fuji, many actually indicate it's worse. I'm genuinely curious where you read that it "sets the bar"? I was very interested in the M5 when it came out, but the reviews I read kept me happily with Fuji (that and Canon's woeful support for the EF-M mount).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Oct 30, 2017 09:31 |  #18

Yes Canon's DPAF for video is really great, how AF for video should be. Canon got that bit right. But that is where it ends as far as I'm concerned. Neither the 80D or it's retro looking mirrorless brother the M5 can do 4K and for cameras that are launched this year that is disappointing but not surprising from Canon. My old iPhone SE shoots decent 4k so I'd expect a newly designed high end camera to be there too. Further more the continuous AF in video on the X-T2 is actually quite good, you just don't get the smooth AF throws that you can get on the canon with a tap of the screen. Although they are not that hard to do by hand with a little care and practice. Also there is no log profile from either Canon ( the X-T2 shoots 4:2:2 8 bit uncompressed with no line skipping, downsampled from 6K, 100Mbps. No need for film profiles if you don't want them. ) and with Canon's lower bit rates and AA filter the video is not what you would call crispy. None of that will probably bother most buyers though. There are so many advantages to using the X-T2 or alike for video over the crippled Canon offerings that it is laughable someone would compare the two, if there is shame to be touted I know where I be looking.

Anyway sorry for that rant, hope you get great use out of your new M5 & it works well for you, always good to have a new camera to shoot with :)

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
799 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 30, 2017 10:24 |  #19

Thanks for the information and comparisons about the video capabilities for these cameras. However, I don't really shoot video, outside of archiving concert footage. For that, I use an older Panasonic camcorder, which works for me and the intended purpose. Maybe I'll record more video in the future, but not a concern right now.

While most would like an all-in-one device for stills and video, I'm sort of fine with getting a dedicated device for stills and a separate one for video, if needed in the future.

I'm going to stick with the m5 and the eos-m lenses since it's in my possession already. If I was starting over with this landscape kit, I'd probably go for the Fuji. But the Canon mirrorless system makes more sense right now, especially from a financial perspective and the fact that I have tons of EF lenses.

Thanks!!!

<insert gear here>

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,957 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been last edited 15 days ago by clipper_from_oz. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 04, 2017 06:11 |  #20

Ming-Tzu wrote in post #18477948 (external link)
After lugging my Canon DSLR gear on multiple hikes, I've decided to save my back and legs, and switch to mirrorless for the long treks.

Currently have the Canon M5, 11-22, and 22 lenses, with the eos-m adapter if needed. But looking at potentially replacing that with the xt20 + 10-18 + 18-55 kit lens.

Thoughts and suggestions?

By the way, my usual travel gear is the 5d4, 16-35 is, and 70-200 f4 is.

Fuji make way better glass than canon comparing Fujis top primes vs Canons top primes . I rank fuji up there with Leica And Zeiss glass....Infact I will go one better and rank fujinon "XF" top primes with schneider and rodenstock they are that good. Just have to understand what Fuji's pedigree is to understand for what you want you would be better served with Fuji over Canon IMO. And in the zooms you are looking at Fuji are less than half the price of a Canon comparable. Even the kit zoom fuji produce ( 18-55 2.8-4) is ranked by the industry as being one of Fuji's best lens and equal or better than any Canon L equivalent. I have both and it kills the canon equivalent 24-70 f2.8L( which I also own) for IQ. ANd even when compared to My EF 16-35f4 my 18-55 holds its own although it cant compete with my 5dsr/16-35mm combo. But then again that combo is heavy and 3 times the price...... And second hand the 18-55 f2.8-4 can be had for as low as $400.00 on ebay. Thats a bargain to me . Especially given it has IS as well and is 1/3 weight of the "brick". I would hike with my 5dsr and 16-35mm and itwould always weigh me down to the point I would really notice it as the day wore on . The xt20 and 18-55 are perfect for this. And anyway who needs wide for landscape. Anything under 18mm ( 26mm in FF/35mm equivalent) pushes landscapes away too far IMO and these days I prefer to go longer rather than wider except if I need to get something itto the shot that would otherwise be missed out if using longer.

So....Like you I went to mirrorless to save my legs and back.......These days for travel I use a . Xt-20 18-55 and 55-200mm and XF35 f1.4 prime and for Hiking I cut back to the 18-55mm and if Im feeling especially fit the 55-200mm as well :). The 55-200 is fairly heavy ( but still way lighter than Canon equivalent) but its IQ is second to none. Just beautiful contrast and sharpness and fantastic for wildlife out on the track as well as landscapes( As I said I use narrower field of views for landscapes these days) . FYI The cropped sensor turns this lens into a 90-320mm and to achieve the same with a Canon lens would mean me lugging my 100-400 which is totally unsuitable for these situations.

Anyway the long and the short of it is Fuji have the best quality and best range of lens of any mirrorless camera manufacturer out there today. Not only this their "XF" prices are cheap when compared to Canon L which is their equivalent in the Canon range .

rgds

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

758 views & 12 likes for this thread
Might take the plunge - xt20
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.