Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 24 Jul 2017 (Monday) 11:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro Beauty Dish 56"..anyone using this huge BD?

shaolin95
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by shaolin95. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 24, 2017 11:41 |  #1

I was just looking for a 60" round softbox that is not hard to setup and was curious about this one since its a "beauty dish" or at least I hope it has those characteristics plus adding the diffusers makes it a softbox so kind of a versatile big box.
Still I was wondering what flaws it could have. For example if their infor is correct, it weights 10lbs which sounds pretty heavy and just a bit heavier than my Mola Setti! Still since I use a head extension for my Xplor600 then that helps with any weight issues.
I was also looking at options from Cheetah since the whole chopstick adjusting arm also intrigues me.
I do own a Westcott XXL 48" but I wanted bigger..specially since I just noticed the Westcott is really only 44 3/4"! (I am contacting them about this btw).
Anyways, I thought of the normal Fotodiox 60" EZ-Pro which is not a BD nor is as round as this one. The price is not bad for a 56" BD either which is one more reason I got intrigued aobut at least giving it a try.

What you guys think?

PS actual weight is 7lbs

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jul 30, 2017 08:31 |  #2

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​470495

I AM SHOM

F2Bthere
725 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Aug 07, 2017 01:45 |  #3

I haven't used the EZ-pro, so my observations can only be useful in examining the problem before you, but you will need hands on experience (yours or someone else's) to get at the specifics :).

First, a disclaimer: all the devices of a given type are more similar than different. A skilled photographer will make good images with any of them and the best one will not make much difference in the hands of an unskilled photographer.

Second, it is far more useful to see images taken with one light in your modifier of choice. Multiple lights, like post processing, can make it harder to see the results clearly.

Having said that, the Link provided above will give you useful information and leads to a review published on another site, which is also useful. One of them, in a different size, is compared against the Westcott Joel Grimes portable BD. The person comparing them prefers the Westcott JGBD for the images it produces.

A bit more searching will lead to a comparison of the Westcott JGBD against a Mola BD and there, the Mola looks like a clear winner to me (the photographer gave me access to the images and I asked several women who were not photographers--they felt the same way).

What does all this tell you?

1. If you really want a solid comparison, you need to look at images shot in consistent conditions. Guessing based on what it looks like and how it is built does not help as much as you would think. And shots under different conditions, especially by different photographers and, most especially with different post-processing, can lead you astray.

2. No matter what you get, if you learn to use it well, you will get good images. And, conversely, whatever you get, if you don't learn it well, you won't.

One other problem with comparisons: if the photographer doesn't understand how the device works, results can be off. For example: a BD generally should not be feathered on people, most other modifiers benefit from feathering.

That isn't to say you can't figure a lot from looking at images, just keep these cautions in mind.

I will suggest two courses of action which I think are most likely to help you the most if you can't get solid comparisons from a skilled photographer.

1. Rent if you can (unlikely in this case), borrow or order from a place with a generous return policy. Try it for yourself.

2. Look at images. If you can see someone getting results you like, you know they are possible with that modifier. Get the modifier and learn to use it. There is a lot to be said for the confidence you have that the modifier works--it helps you work through building the skills.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

F2Bthere
725 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 05, 2017 08:31 |  #4

So, @shaolin95, what did you end up doing?

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

shaolin95
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Nov 05, 2017 09:33 |  #5

F2Bthere wrote in post #18489078 (external link)
So, @shaolin95, what did you end up doing?

For now I just go the Fotodiox Beauty Dish 56" (well its really 53"). I use the Mola Setti or SMDV A90 most of the time so I didnt want to spend too much on a bigger one that will not see as much use. I am still trying different things though. Still plan to test a Parabolix.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Nov 05, 2017 10:10 |  #6

Would appreciate some shots of the dish as well actual shots of the subjects taken with it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

1,759 views & 1 like for this thread
Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro Beauty Dish 56"..anyone using this huge BD?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.