Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 05 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 06:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Don't work tired! Not even once.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Bassat.
Nov 05, 2017 06:24 |  #1

I had one of those nights where I just couldn't sleep. After a nap of about an hour, I got up and decided to go through my entire LR catalog. I did some re-organizing, some deleting that should have been done on import, and other such house cleaning. That entire process took me about 4 hours. Luckily, the last thing I did was make a backup of my new catalog.

I am so happy with myself, that I decide to delete my primary back-up, and run back-up again with my newly organized and thinned catalog. Well, being bleary-eyed and in dire need of coffee, I just wanted to get the new back-up started. That is when I deleted EVERYTHING!. Photos, catalog, all of it. Just over 14,000 photos, and my LR catalog GONE!

First reaction? What the heck just happened? Then I realized what I'd done. Instead of deleting from disk E: (my backup), I had deleted from disk C:, my primary storage. $#!T. Double $#IT. Ok, ok, no harm done, yet. Everything (143 GB) is still in the recycle bin, and I still have the back-ups from BEFORE I 'fixed' everything.

Problem? I had deleted everything I wanted to KEEP into the same recycle bin where I had just deleted everything I wanted to DELETE. It took me two hours to pick through the recycle bin and restore what I needed. Once positive I'd gotten everything back, I was able to use my new back-up of my new catalog to get everything back in order.

All is well, I think. I did find several of my wife's photos in the recycle bin. Not being sure where they came from, I put them all into one folder for her to look through later.

All-in, I spent about 7 hours on this. The last 3 of them recovering from my mistakes. There are two take-aways from this nightmare.

1.) Don't do major computer work when exhausted.
2.) Keep extensive back-ups!

I have my photos and catalogs backed up on 3 separate hard disks. At worst, I could have put everything back to where I started the evening. I used one backup to put everything back together. I do plan on keeping the other two as is, just in case I missed something.

Don't be me!

Tom

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 06:45 |  #2

Be sure to get an off-site backup as well. If you have Amazon prime, you can store unlimited photo file including raw and video.

My Nas developed a problem on one of two hard drives. It took me time to diagnose this, as the Nas wouldn't even let me access it due to a bug they have if a drive goes bad. Fortunately it was set up as raid 1 and the other disk was fine. I ordered a new 2TB drive, and finally was able to get to the admin app to get the raid repaired. I now have a USB drive backup to my Nas as well, and it will go to my office as off-site. I did all of this this week and a couple very late nights. :(

It's scary to think you have lost your images, previous tax file, and other files. :eek:

Frys had a sale on 2tb Seagate external drives for 70, I bought two as rotational backups to my NAS.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 05, 2017 07:03 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18489025 (external link)
Be sure to get an off-site backup as well. If you have Amazon prime, you can store unlimited photo file including raw and video.

My Nas developed a problem on one of two hard drives. It took me time to diagnose this, as the Nas wouldn't even let me access it due to a bug they have if a drive goes bad. Fortunately it was set up as raid 1 and the other disk was fine. I ordered a new 2TB drive, and finally was able to get to the admin app to get the raid repaired. I now have a USB drive backup to my Nas as well, and it will go to my office as off-site. I did all of this this week and a couple very late nights. :(

It's scary to think you have lost your images, previous tax file, and other files. :eek:

Frys had a sale on 2tb Seagate external drives for 70, I bought two as rotational backups to my NAS.

Thanks. I don't have a network storage system, and can't use the internet for backups, too slow. I do have an internal HDD backup, and two externals. I was able to restore everything from the internal backup. When completed, I made ANOTHER backup to the internal with the new info. I'll wait to update my externals until I am sure I have everything restored.

I have such an extensive BU system because I once lost a customer's data back when I did some freelance programming. I sold the company a 12-month 'update' warranty. They bought new hardware, I had no backups and had to re-write the programming (only the print modules) for NOTHING!. That will make you develop a backup system.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 05, 2017 07:06 |  #4

My NAS died this week. At least I think it did, it's either that or my router's wired ethernet controller bit the dust. The disk is spinning, so there is hope, but it is mostly just a media server so taking the time to mess with it is pretty low on my list.

Anyway, second upvote on off site storage. Further, when I sync the onsite disk to the offsite, I have it save any deleted files so I can review them to see if I have made any major screw ups.

Glad you didn't completely destroy your work. Hope you get to take a nap today.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 05, 2017 07:27 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18489034 (external link)
My NAS died this week. At least I think it did, it's either that or my router's wired ethernet controller bit the dust. The disk is spinning, so there is hope, but it is mostly just a media server so taking the time to mess with it is pretty low on my list.

Anyway, second upvote on off site storage. Further, when I sync the onsite disk to the offsite, I have it save any deleted files so I can review them to see if I have made any major screw ups.

Glad you didn't completely destroy your work. Hope you get to take a nap today.

I'm cooking breakfast for the grandson now. Bacon, sausage, eggs. He loves it (me, too!). I'll get to bed about 10:00. I have to be up at 5:00pm, and at work by 7:00pm. 12-hour night shifts, gotta luv'em!

Tom

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 05, 2017 10:20 |  #6

Tom, your subject line scared me. I thought you'd made a bad mistake in your nursing job. Ah, it was only data that was lost!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 05, 2017 11:27 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #7

Oh crap! That would be MUCH worse. You are right. Only photos!

Tom

sponsored links

361 views & 1 like for this thread
Don't work tired! Not even once.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.