Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 04 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 05:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LR 6.13 to Classic CC - What happens to previews?

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,088 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Preston, Lancashire, England
Nov 04, 2017 05:42 |  #1

Have just installed LR Classic CC as a trial - am 90% sure I'm going to stick with 6.13 for now but wanted to have a look now the problem of uninstalling 6 is resolved!

However, when I launched Classic CC not only did it talk about upgrading catalogue (I'm OK with that) it mentioned MOVING all my preview files too.

Anyone done this and know if when you go back to open 6.13 whether it can still access the preview files or does moving them to Classic CC wipe them out of 6.13??

I don't want to go anywhere near CC if it wipes out my LR 6 previews.... anyone help?

Ta

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 04, 2017 06:17 |  #2

Well the quick way is to copy your Lr6 previews folder to a new location, beware that the size of this can be pretty big, it will depend on a number of factors, mostly the number of images. I don't know if 6 got the update that sized preview images to match the screen width, I'm on CC for the HiDPI support, with a 5K display, so my standard previews are now 5120×3144 px, larger than the 100% views. With 50K images my previews folder is 80 GB! With your existing previews safely backed up you can now let the system update itself, and during that process the previews folder will simply have an -2 appended to the folder name. this will allow LrCCC to use the existing previews, which will be replaced when you make any changes to the image, as per normal.

It's probably best to do it this way, as you don't really want to have to have Lr regenerate you standard previews, as they will all now by default be "screen width". Lr CCC will want to rebuild the whole lot in the background by the way. If you go back to Lr 6.13 then after you remove the CCC program you will simply need to delete the previews folder tree, along with the new catalogue, also with a -2 suffix appended. Until I renamed my catalogue folder, and previews tree, I had got to -2-2-2 on my catalogue name. Because of the size of the catalogue folders and two full sets of previews it pays to check that you will have enough disk space to start with. i had my catalogue on my main system SSD, only a 233 GB drive, and in the update process I managed to fill the drive :(. If that happens the installer will leave behind some lock files, and you won't be able to either start the old version or restart the conversion of the catalogue file, as the lock files will stop both processes from starting. The only option then is to delete all the extra files in the folder with your .lrcat file manually.

HTH

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Nov 04, 2017 10:00 |  #3

You do know you can not have the perpetual LR 6.13 and CC installed at the same time? It will convert your perpetual to the CC2015.

In case you decide you do not want to go the subscription route, make sure you have the install file(s) for LR 6 downloaded and stored somewhere on your system. Adobe is making more and more obscure to access them.

Running a trial of one of the subscription licenses, is not like installing just any other app, where your previous version is left alone. While you can and should select to leave/not uninstall, older versions, it still will convert your perpetual license to the subscription.

Ron
My Gear List

EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,088 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Nov 04, 2017 10:02 as a reply to frozenframe's post |  #4

It wont do that unless I actually subscribe??

Al

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 17 days ago by frozenframe.
Nov 04, 2017 10:28 |  #5

What the gurus advise over at Lightroomforums.net, is when installing a CC version on the same machine as your perpetual LR6, it will convert it to subscription. https://www.lightroomf​orums.net ...ic-cc-and-keep-lr6.33203/ (external link) . That discussion does refer to purchasing and still keeping LR 6, but I think it might still convert your existing perpetual to a CC.

One way to avoid that is to establish another Adobe ID, using a different email account. I had to do that when I reverted from CC2015 to LR6 perpetual.

Ron
My Gear List

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 04, 2017 11:51 |  #6

frozenframe wrote in post #18488349 (external link)
You do know you can not have the perpetual LR 6.13 and CC installed at the same time? It will convert your perpetual to the CC2015.

No it won't.
There was a mistake made by Adobe. The update had the "Keep old version" option deselected by default so anyone with 6.x who trialed the new CC would have their 6.x uninstalled. They have fixed that now and by default your 6.x install will be left on your machine (and you catalog too). The trial version will create a second updated catalog. Obviously any changes made in that wont be reflected in your V6.x catalog.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 17 days ago by frozenframe.
Nov 04, 2017 17:30 |  #7

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18488472 (external link)
No it won't.
There was a mistake made by Adobe. The update had the "Keep old version" option deselected by default so anyone with 6.x who trialed the new CC would have their 6.x uninstalled. They have fixed that now and by default your 6.x install will be left on your machine (and you catalog too). The trial version will create a second updated catalog. Obviously any changes made in that wont be reflected in your V6.x catalog.

Thanks Dan. I already knew about that mistake, which is different than changing/morphing the perpetual. I think the safest bet is to check with Adobe. I know you also are on the Lightroomforms.net. Over there I've read and been told that CC Classic could or will morph the perpetual, that it will not, but the LR CC will.

I was basing my reply here on those.

Ron
My Gear List

EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,088 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Nov 05, 2017 14:47 as a reply to frozenframe's post |  #8

I'm not sure how adobe can "change" the licence I bought for LR6 standalone?

Al

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 16 days ago by frozenframe.
Nov 05, 2017 15:31 as a reply to EOSAddict's post |  #9

What I was told is that to run the trial of LR CC Classic or LR CC, a temporary subscription was needed, and I think the key is that LR 6 can not be installed on a system that is running one of the LR subscriptions. I do know the latter to absolute fact, since I reverted from CC2015 to LR6. I had to create a separate Adobe ID using another email address to install my LR 6.

https://www.lightroomf​orums.net ...p-lr6.33203/#post-1219882 (external link)

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links

713 views & 2 likes for this thread
LR 6.13 to Classic CC - What happens to previews?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.