Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Nov 2017 (Friday) 18:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Great looking new printing process

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Nov 03, 2017 18:13 |  #1

https://finance.yahoo.​com ...rprisingly-201302005.html (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

sponsored links
Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Nov 03, 2017 18:20 |  #2

We all knew it was coming. It will take a few years for the price to drop, then it will really take off. Once it matches the cost of a larger print, matted & framed (approx. $300), it will get popular.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,366 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Post has been edited 16 days ago by tzalman.
Nov 04, 2017 06:28 |  #3

What is described is not a printing process at all, but rather a digital display device much like the digital photo frames that display a slide show from a memory card and have been around for ages, except that it is much physically larger and more technically advanced and complex (wi-fi, web access, sophisticated monitor).

"...a 27-inch diagonal full HD (1080P) display. The screen features a glare-free finish, a maximum brightness of 300c/m2, and an auto-dimming feature to help it match the ambient light in the room. The frame also includes Wi-Fi connectivity, with up to 802.11 ac speeds across both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, and there's a computer inside powering the whole thing with a 1.8HGz Quad Core ARM processor, a Cortex-A17 graphics chip, 2GB of RAM and 8GB of onboard storage....To choose what your Meural Canvas shows, you can either navigate to the web interface or use the mobile app. On the web, you can browse a wide variety of collections curated by Meural,...you can also upload any of your own art and organize it into playlists, too....it's a wall-hanging computer."

As such, the price comparison to the cost of a single matted and framed print doesn't seem valid, but it is more expensive than a comparable 27 in., 1080p HD, Smart TV.

Elie / אלי

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,569 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 04, 2017 06:52 |  #4

High quality 20"x30" print from Walmart is $18.86. This thing sounds like a Rube Goldberg way to relieve you of a decent sum of money.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 04, 2017 07:40 |  #5

Yes, just a glorified digital frame from 10 years ago with newer tech. I want a crisp e-ink screen that only needs power to generate the image, and then after that, no power needed. If I want a new image, I hook up a wifi/bluetooth module that provides power as well, and send it a new photo to display for a period of time. No cords or constant power needed, and you get the look of ink, inside a matted frame, and no AC needed. :)

ACeP displays are close.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Nov 04, 2017 09:23 |  #6

Flexible OLED film is currently working, prices are coming down, and it will be easily made large and framed and will show stills or videos.

If you think you will continue to sell framed and matted prints years in the future, you are living in denial.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=KHSdObeUdxI (external link)

Website (external link) |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 05, 2017 06:56 |  #7

People will still want inexpensive and simple static images for a long time to come, but the new digital materials will indeed cut into that market.

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Nov 06, 2017 04:22 |  #8

When you've got about a dozen images that would look great printed on metal...
this is a viable alternative.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 06, 2017 09:34 as a reply to chauncey's post |  #9

Again, this just looks like a glorified digital frame (ie. a high def LCD monitor), unless I am missing something. I don't like to look at images that way, I stare at a computer screen every day as it is, and it is not the best way to view art.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Nov 06, 2017 10:11 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18488277 (external link)
you get the look of ink, inside a matted frame

I'm looking for something like this for a home renovation project. I don't care for the LED-backlit look. That's holding me back.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 06, 2017 17:39 |  #11

I could see this being sort of OK if they were using a panel with the sort of resolution seen in the new Dell 32" 8K monitor. Trouble is you bring that up to a 3:2 ratio and you are looking at about 44 MP! Given the fact that it is only 1080 resolution it's only doing 82 PPI, which is pretty terrible resolution for displaying high quality images. Lets face it my 27" 5K display only gets you 219 PPI, which is why I suggest moving to 8K, for close to 300 PPI.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great looking new printing process
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.