Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Better than the last attempt...

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 19:54 as a reply to post 18478561 |  #16

That's exactly what I did today...in front of an old barn. I was thinking that too. If I did shots in front of a good background to start with...Shazam...no bad hair edges! Then I came home n set up a black background with my softbox and got some great shots of my family. Lots of laughs, great way to spice up a lazy Sunday. :-)

EOS 30D

sponsored links
ShutterKlick
76 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 22, 2017 21:38 |  #17

Canon D30?!?! HOLY COW!! That was the first ever DSLR I owned! LOVED that camera! It has some limitations for it's age, but... that is one awesome camera! I took a lot of great pictures with it!

Anyway, back to the picture.. I would move the flash up 2 more feet but keep the same angle, and reduce the "power" by one or two "thirds".

Post us a follow up pls, Id like to see your progress and explanation for what you did!

Thanks for posting,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,270 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Oct 22, 2017 22:40 |  #18

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18478695 (external link)
Canon D30?!?! HOLY COW!! That was the first ever DSLR I owned! LOVED that camera! It has some limitations for it's age, but... that is one awesome camera! I took a lot of great pictures with it!

Anyway, back to the picture.. I would move the flash up 2 more feet but keep the same angle, and reduce the "power" by one or two "thirds".

Post us a follow up pls, Id like to see your progress and explanation for what you did!

Thanks for posting,
Andrew

I think the OP has a 30D, not a D30.

Mark

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 23:19 as a reply to ShutterKlick's post |  #19

Ok thank you for the help; I really appreciate it. I'm going to play around with self portraits this week when I find time and I will do just what you said and then post. I have a 30d. I believe it's about 10 years old, so if cameras are like computers then it's over the hill. Lol. I really love it though and at my level it's all I need. Also, I was cleaning out my mom's closet last spring after she passed and found the camera in there. So it's special because it was hers and I had always had an interest in learning photography.

EOS 30D

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 23, 2017 06:08 |  #20

Kristine2514 wrote in post #18478746 (external link)
Ok thank you for the help; I really appreciate it. I'm going to play around with self portraits this week when I find time and I will do just what you said and then post. I have a 30d. I believe it's about 10 years old, so if cameras are like computers then it's over the hill. Lol. I really love it though and at my level it's all I need. Also, I was cleaning out my mom's closet last spring after she passed and found the camera in there. So it's special because it was hers and I had always had an interest in learning photography.

I like this.......

So finding her camera is your first go at any kind of photography? You had nothing before you found this one?

By the way.....this picture of you looks a little like Rene Russo. ;-)a

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Oct 23, 2017 07:12 |  #21

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18478695 (external link)
I would move the flash up 2 more feet but keep the same angle, and reduce the "power" by one or two "thirds".

Just so I can share in the benefits of this, I take it that what you are suggesting is aimed at feathering and softening the light and balancing up ambient a bit higher.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by Kristine2514. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 23, 2017 08:35 as a reply to saea501's post |  #22

Thank you. Yeah, the only others cameras I've ever had have been the good old point and click. In thinking about it, you could be creative with one of those even, but I never tried it. Even when I started with my 30d, I just pointed and clicked but in the last little while I've realized photos are about so much more than that...and the best part...to tell a story. So now I find myself thinking about what I want from each photo and so on. Lots more to learn but so much fun!

EOS 30D

Mkl
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 07, 2017 11:02 |  #23

Fine and natural expression on face and an intensive look. Good portrait work. I understand that some hairs intentionally slightly obscured left eye, for me it works as well as this theme (motive) with left arm, position of left arm elbow works well here in this position. However in my opinion light could be partially slightly more soft on face, some slightly too bright areas (hot spots) are visible on nose and it is a slightly unfortunate.

Canon EOS 40D + Grip, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM, flickr (external link)
Critiques and comments are always welcome.

sponsored links

906 views & 11 likes for this thread
Better than the last attempt...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.