Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 05 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 00:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

B&W c&c

Kristine2514
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 05, 2017 00:35 |  #1

Hi everyone

I've always loved dramatic, moody b&w photos. So I've been trying to re-create that effect with my efforts lately. This photo is a self portrait. In a perfect world I would like it to be more sharp with my face but I'm more focused on creating the drama, since I'm practicing. For example...with my first attempts, my hair was just bland b&w. With this photo the highlights and shawdows are more prominent. I also felt that leaving the brick background as it, rather than blurring it in photoshop added, rather than took away. C&C as to whether I'm on the right path would be appreciated. Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 30D

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Nov 05, 2017 01:36 |  #2

I'm the same, I love moody B&W pics, and there's not much going on there I don't like. I know I commented on another shot of yours so I'm glad to see your hand doing something with your hair, and I think the lighting suits your face really well. My only reservations are that I do find my eyes being drawn to the bricks in the background, not a huge amount, but enough to be noticeable, so diverting attention away from you.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Nov 05, 2017 04:10 |  #3

Better :)
The halo around the waist is waaay to prominent. As well as darkened upper right side. Both scream artificial things.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 05, 2017 05:19 |  #4

olafs osh wrote in post #18488982 (external link)
Better :)
The halo around the waist is waaay to prominent. As well as darkened upper right side. Both scream artificial things.

I noticed this straight away as well.

You mention you'd like it to be sharper. Honestly, if it were any sharper it would be too sharp. I think it's verging on that now. Just starting to be a little edgy. More distance from the background would blur that up.

This one looks good. You're very pretty.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Kristine2514.
Nov 05, 2017 07:56 as a reply to welshwizard1971's post |  #5

Thank you for your comments. I thought the background might add to the photo but I'm also seeing it is standing out a bit too much. I left it though because I have a little thing about brick backgrounds. It should have been darkened though. With the lighting, I was trying out my new umbrella. Interesting, the difference in lighting between a softbox and umbrella.

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by Kristine2514. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 08:07 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #6

Good morning Mr Nice and Fluffy...ahh...I finally got a "better" comment from you...yay! With the waist I'll darken the halo. It looks better than before though, as the material from my shirt was lumpy. I wouldn't have darkened the right quite as much as I did but it was an issue with my background. I didn't notice until after taking my photos that the background wasn't perfectly straight and pulled tight. So what ended up happening was I had bricks throughout the photo that I had to straighten out. When I got to that side of the photo, I got them all pretty much straight but I got lazy and just darkened it up. If you look, the entire background is also slanted down to the left a pinch. Making a mental note to get it tight and straight next time I use it, to alleviate those issues. Thank you for commenting. ߘ

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 05, 2017 08:28 as a reply to saea501's post |  #7

Thank you. I took these photos in my living room, where I can't get as far away from the background as much as I'd like. Next time I'm going to lug everything to my basement where I can get more distance from it. That way I'll also have the room to move my lighting around more, for practice. I'm liking the lighting from my umbrella, quite a difference from softbox lighting. I bounced it with a black backed umbrella

EOS 30D

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by airfrogusmc. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 08:30 |  #8

In my opinion I think there is way to much contrast. Blown highlights and blocked shadows and the obvious technical issues already mentioned. Key light to is high. Nose shadow crossing the lip. Highlight on chin way to hot.

I think softer key light in a lot closer and feathered would fully show how beautiful you are. I by far prefer a soft box in very close and feathered for this type of work. The light spread is far better controlled with large a soft box. I do prefer umbrellas when I want the light to cover large areas like full length and group photographs but for singles and couple portraits I usually stay with a large soft box and reflector.

Thats my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.....

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 05, 2017 08:43 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #9

Ok thank you. I noticed the highlight on my chin is too much. I should have toned it down but I wanted to pretty much leave my face alone in this photo. In a previous photo, I cloned stamped the heck out of my face and was left with a less than satisfactory result. Much more practice with lighting going forward

EOS 30D

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by airfrogusmc. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 08:57 |  #10

Kristine2514 wrote in post #18489086 (external link)
Ok thank you. I noticed the highlight on my chin is too much. I should have toned it down but I wanted to pretty much leave my face alone in this photo. In a previous photo, I cloned stamped the heck out of my face and was left with a less than satisfactory result. Much more practice with lighting going forward

You are beautiful and I do believe softer light would serve you better. Also in a lot of cases your eye tends to go to the brightest area in the frame and your hand is really bright. I tend to try and make the eyes the draw.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 05, 2017 12:09 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #11

So you are saying that even if you are going for a more dramatic feel, you don't need to also have harder lighting. Good information. Thanks. And, darken the hand so that the eyes ares drawn to those kind of things

EOS 30D

Mkl
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 07, 2017 10:29 |  #12

I like the pose of your model. Fine and natural expression on face with good eyes contact and an intensive look. B&W works well here. However in my opinion maybe you should try with a slightly different set of light. Some hot spots (bright areas) are visible on nose and mouth. Maybe it was your intention here to set light here as it is, however I would prefer to try with slightly different set of light.

Canon EOS 40D + Grip, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM, flickr (external link)
Critiques and comments are always welcome.

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 07, 2017 11:06 as a reply to Mkl's post |  #13

Thank you. I appreciate any and all helpful comments for lighting. I think going back to my softbox with these types of photos will produce the most pleasing lighting. This was with my umbrella. Comparing it to photos I took of my son with my softbox, the softbox lighting produced a nicer result

EOS 30D

sponsored links

309 views & 2 likes for this thread
B&W c&c
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.