Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 06:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

battery for canon 77d

kerryN
129 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Oct 28, 2017 06:01 |  #1

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone bought spare batteries for their canon 77d? If so did you buy canon or another brand? Did the other brand work with the canon charger and what alternative did you get? I am looking to buy a spare but canon are as usual extortionately priced.

Thanks for your input.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 28, 2017 06:51 |  #2

Wasabi makes excellent 3rd party batteries.

I use 3rd party on all my cameras from the XXD series, to the XXXD series, to the 5D series, to the 7D series, to the EOS-M series, to the 1D series.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kerryN
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Oct 28, 2017 07:01 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that I am in the UK and the Wasabi brand doesn't seem to be available over here.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 17 days ago by John from PA.
Oct 28, 2017 12:25 |  #4

kerryN wrote in post #18483006 (external link)
Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that I am in the UK and the Wasabi brand doesn't seem to be available over here.

There was a thread a few weeks back and the individual also was from the UK. You can view the thread at http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​460428.

In the end the individual bought the item at
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...rp_d_product_sims?i​e=UTF8 (external link)

[Added comment - "my bad"; the links provided take the reader to info concerning the LP-E6 battery. The 77D uses a LP-E17 battery.]

kerryN
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Oct 28, 2017 14:23 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

Thanks John for the pointer to the other thread. I had used the search function but nothing came up. :-( I shall have a read of that.

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 04, 2017 12:11 |  #6

The 77D takes an LP-E17 battery and unfortunately not an LP-E6 or LP E6N. On the European market so far there seems to be no fully compatible third party battery that would match the requirements of the original 77D charger. You will find a lot of semi-compatible batteries like Patona's that will charge properly on a third party charger (Patona, Baxxtar, etc...), which in turn will not necessarily recognize the original Canon battery. When you insert these third batteries in the 77D you will obtain a message that asks you to confirm that the camera can catually use it. The camera will also not display the battery information it shows when operating with a Canon original.

So for the time being we are waiting for the OAproda 2 Pack LP-E17 upgraded battery sold in the USA or some other equivalent that according to the manufacturer has the full decoding capacity others miss and therefore is also able tu deal with the original Canon battery. That will save us from travelling around with two chargers.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 04, 2017 14:33 |  #7

nordlysBW wrote in post #18488487 (external link)
The 77D takes an LP-E17 battery and unfortunately not an LP-E6 or LP E6N. On the European market so far there seems to be no fully compatible third party battery that would match the requirements of the original 77D charger. You will find a lot of semi-compatible batteries like Patona's that will charge properly on a third party charger (Patona, Baxxtar, etc...), which in turn will not necessarily recognize the original Canon battery. When you insert these third batteries in the 77D you will obtain a message that asks you to confirm that the camera can catually use it. The camera will also not display the battery information it shows when operating with a Canon original.

So for the time being we are waiting for the OAproda 2 Pack LP-E17 upgraded battery sold in the USA or some other equivalent that according to the manufacturer has the full decoding capacity others miss and therefore is also able tu deal with the original Canon battery. That will save us from travelling around with two chargers.

As pointed out, there isn't a "fully compatible" 3rd party battery. But Amazon UK does offer some batteries that are useable in the 77D.

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...r=1-1&keywords=lp-e17+77d (external link)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...r=1-2&keywords=lp-e17+77d (external link) (partially decoded; primarily charger issues)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...r=1-3&keywords=lp-e17+77d (external link)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...r=1-4&keywords=lp-e17+77d (external link)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...r=1-6&keywords=lp-e17+77d (external link)

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...sdc_1104356_t3_B01E​VGGT8U (external link)

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 05, 2017 10:14 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #18488598 (external link)
As pointed out, there isn't a "fully compatible" 3rd party battery. But Amazon UK does offer some batteries that are useable in the 77D.

That was clear to me and unfortunately also applies to other European countries. The question remains whether 77D users want to fiddle with two different loaders or wait until a fully compatible battery also arrives on our shores. I personally would not like to have to travel with two loaders.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 07, 2017 06:29 |  #9

nordlysBW wrote in post #18489145 (external link)
I personally would not like to have to travel with two loaders.

Since many of the "bundles" come with a single loader (charger) and two batteries, why not take the charger and two batteries that mate? To me charging of batteries is not a big deal. You can comfortably get 400 to 500 images on a charge. Just remember to pop the battery into the charger and remove when the charge is complete.

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 07, 2017 11:30 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18490631 (external link)
Since many of the "bundles" come with a single loader (charger) and two batteries, why not take the charger and two batteries that mate? To me charging of batteries is not a big deal. You can comfortably get 400 to 500 images on a charge. Just remember to pop the battery into the charger and remove when the charge is complete.

It's an option I have been thinking of because these third-party chargers are often lighter (good for plane travels) than the original anyway, and because they usually come with an additional car adapter, a feature I have always missed on the Canon original chargers and which I appreciate when I rent an RV.

Still, I take it that a fully compatible loader could well be available in Europe in the near future.

sponsored links

1,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
battery for canon 77d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.