Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 04 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 18:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Having problem diagnosing issue with 35mm F2 IS

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Nov 04, 2017 18:45 |  #1

Brand new lens picked up just yesterday. Testing on 6Dii body. The image is blurry when subject is about 10-15 feet away at f/2 and f/2.8, improves a bit when lens is closed down beyond that. I've confirmed AF point with DPP software, but lens doesn't appear to be front or back focusing as NOTHING is in focus, the entire image is blurred, more like when camera shake is the issue. Except I also eliminated camera shake, as this is an IS lens and anyways I also tried at higher shutter speeds and the problem remains. I also tried it with IS off, same problem.

Lens is fine when subject is say pretty close or far away. It's that midrange that presents a problem. To add a further wrinkle, when I use Live View, the image is fine. It's just when I use the OVF that this problem shows up. Kind of befuddled as to what could be the issue here.

I don't presently have another Canon body to try this on, but I do think the problem is with the lens as other lenses on this body don't exhibit the same issue.

I am probably just going to return the lens for another one, but I do want to make sure I am not missing something obvious or I should try something else.

Canon PowerShot S110 | Fujifilm X-T10 | Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Fujifilm XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS II, Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R, Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
artyH
Goldmember
2,072 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 19 days ago by artyH.
Nov 05, 2017 09:22 |  #2

What AF setting are you using with the optical viewfinder and what shutter speeds?
I have the same lens on my 6D and it is great. It should be sharp wide open and much better at F3.5 or F4. I would expect very good results at F2.8. Try centerpont focus, single shot. Shoot targets at a variety of distances and see what you get. I get good results with 1/60, but higher shutter speeds always help, depending on subject movement. I always use IS unless the lens is on a tripod, but I rarely use it that way.
You may want to try posting a sample or two with more exposure details. Make sure ISO is high enough for good exposures and high shutter speeds. That might help. Try to be sure you are using the shutter correctly. Press down part way until you get AF confirmation, and then squeeze off the rest.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 09:30 |  #3

artyH wrote in post #18489113 (external link)
You may want to try posting a sample or two with more exposure details.

Make sure the full exif information is intact so we can see the detailed settings that are being used.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Nov 07, 2017 09:01 |  #4

Some lenses are out of whack and that's that. I encountered an EF 24-70 MkII, brand new which would go from front to back-focus as you changed the focal length and the focusing distance. Returned it to B&H no questions asked and the replacement they sent me was dialed in perfectly.

A prime that has AF problems depending on the distance, is Canon's problem to solve. But if you can return the lens for a replacement, it's not your problem to deal with Canon.

Sent it back if you can.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 07, 2017 09:19 |  #5

Return it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Nov 07, 2017 09:19 |  #6

can also be a contrast issue, try something outside with good light.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 07, 2017 11:24 |  #7

I agree with the "return it" sentiment. I sold my 35 f/2 IS though I regret it... It worked flawlessly and I tried it out extensively because the 70D I was using at the time was said to have issues at f/2.8 and less.

No need to spend time trying to get a defective lens to work if you are within the return period. One man's opinion.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 07, 2017 12:22 |  #8

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18490864 (external link)
No need to spend time trying to get a defective lens to work if you are within the return period. One man's opinion.

Exactly.

Get a new copy. It's a winner. Total L optics in a cheaper body. I loved mine.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Nov 16, 2017 11:11 |  #9

The Dark Knight wrote in post #18488753 (external link)
Brand new lens picked up just yesterday. Testing on 6Dii body. The image is blurry when subject is about 10-15 feet away at f/2 and f/2.8, improves a bit when lens is closed down beyond that. I've confirmed AF point with DPP software, but lens doesn't appear to be front or back focusing as NOTHING is in focus, the entire image is blurred, more like when camera shake is the issue. Except I also eliminated camera shake, as this is an IS lens and anyways I also tried at higher shutter speeds and the problem remains. I also tried it with IS off, same problem.

Lens is fine when subject is say pretty close or far away. It's that midrange that presents a problem. To add a further wrinkle, when I use Live View, the image is fine. It's just when I use the OVF that this problem shows up. Kind of befuddled as to what could be the issue here.

I don't presently have another Canon body to try this on, but I do think the problem is with the lens as other lenses on this body don't exhibit the same issue.

I am probably just going to return the lens for another one, but I do want to make sure I am not missing something obvious or I should try something else.

Since you said you picked it up, take your camera and the lens with you when you return it. Show the seller the problem and check out the replacement while there.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 16, 2017 11:39 |  #10

MFD is about 10', so things should be able to be focused beyond that...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,299 views & 0 likes for this thread
Having problem diagnosing issue with 35mm F2 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.