Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,545 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Post has been edited 10 days ago by digital_AM.
Nov 07, 2017 14:26 |  #6961

All this Disney talk reminded me about planning a Disney Cruise for late 2018/early 2019. My son will be 5 by then and should be a good age to go on the cruise.

On another topic, now I know what you guys that have a side photography business along with your day job go through. It's not been easy balancing both to be honest. This has recently come about over the past month as architecture photography projects have picked up for me. Any advice? I hate turning down projects for the fear that the clients will look for another photographer. I welcome the extra income but there is so little time to shoot for personal enjoyment. Strange place to be in for sure.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Nov 07, 2017 14:44 |  #6962

FE90 Focus issue update - It seems that this lens just isn't all that good at AF in lower light even with setting effect set to "off" to allow wide open focussing. This is something I will just have to bear in mind when using it but its a bit annoying as when I am using it indoors with flash the light will generally be low. MF is fine when tripod mounted but for live subjects it can be tricky. Here is an extract of the admiring light website review on the lens which confirms my findings -

"However, indoors and in dimmer light, the autofocus can struggle. On both the A7 II and the a6000, I found the lens would often fail to find focus at all in dim light, leading to a full in-and out rack of focus past my desired subject. I found this to be the case both in the macro range and in more moderate portrait distances. When it does lock in, speed is slowed considerably in dimmer light. It’s a good idea to turn off exposure preview when using this lens, especially in the macro range where you will likely be shooting stopped down. This is because exposure preview on Sony cameras also stops the lens down to working aperture during focusing, which robs the sensor of much-needed light. I still had problems focusing in low light even with exposure preview turned off, but it becomes very difficult to get a lock with it on."

Im now second guessing myself with the sale of my Batis 85 which focusses great in low light

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 | Sony 2.8/90

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 07, 2017 15:00 |  #6963

digital_AM wrote in post #18491052 (external link)
All this Disney talk reminded me about planning a Disney Cruise for late 2018/early 2019. My son will be 5 by then and should be a good age to go on the cruise.

On another topic, now I know what you guys that have a side photography business along with your day job go through. It's not been easy balancing both to be honest. This has recently come about over the past month as architecture photography projects have picked up for me. Any advice? I hate turning down projects for the fear that the clients will look for another photographer. I welcome the extra income but there is so little time to shoot for personal enjoyment. Strange place to be in for sure.

There's nothing wrong with being booked up and not being able to accommodate more clients...it means you're in demand, which is good for your reputation. What it really does is encourages people to reach out to you earlier.

If you find yourself consistently overbooked, then its time to look at your pricing, as it means you might be able to basically work less and get paid more. This means you might push some potential clients away on the basis of price, but it also means that you're focusing on a narrower segment of customers who are hiring you on the basis of quality and not cost. I actually stopped shooting for money for a while because I felt overworked and underpaid. I came to realize that a lot of people were hiring me because I was cheap, and that was the brand I had built back when I was starting out and would do anything just to land gigs. I also realized that there are people who are willing to pay for quality, and felt a certain level of confidence in my ability to deliver at that level.....that's when I revamped everything branding wise (focal points) and started charging more.

Very generally though, photography is something you genuinely have to enjoy to do it for money in the long haul...at the very least it has to feel gratifying, because when you factor in how much time is put into a job between shooting, processing, commuting, customer service stuff etc etc, it doesn't pay as well as our 'real' jobs probably do per hour. I think I've hit a nice equilibrium where I'm still having fun, am producing images I'm proud of, am being challenged to grow as a photographer, and getting paid what I think is fair. I'm physically beat sometimes, but am still in high spirits about it. It's a good place to be, but it didn't always feel that way.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Nov 07, 2017 15:05 |  #6964

TMaG82 wrote in post #18490978 (external link)
Thanks for the insight, it would be to document the family and the sights, not so much the landscape and scenery of the parks. Being my first time, I think I’ll be overwhelmed with the experience that I don’t want to be distracted by the photography aspect of it. Plus I need to keep my eyes on my kids at all times. I don’t see myself taking that many shots so hopefully the OEM and a dual charger with generics will be enough. Trying to keep it nice and light, ive watched a few “which cameras to bring to Disney” and felt a pain in my shoulder when I saw one guy carrying a Lowepro 450 with two bodies, 3 zooms, and 4-5 primes. Hoping to keep it touristy with say a single camera around my neck/shoulder sling, my phone in my pocket, and just enjoying. I’m sure I could get away with say an RX100 or an a7/a9 with 24-70 but thinking to keep it simple.

Yes I bring a backpack full of gear, but we're a whole different animal when it comes to Disney trips. i.e. my wife actually likes to take time out for photos when we go....she has her instagram reputation to maintain lol. The weight isn't too bad if you have a stroller as that's where your gear will be most of the time.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

eriet30
Goldmember
1,867 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Phoenix AZ
Nov 07, 2017 15:08 |  #6965

xpfloyd wrote in post #18491077 (external link)
FE90 Focus issue update - It seems that this lens just isn't all that good at AF in lower light even with setting effect set to "off" to allow wide open focussing. This is something I will just have to bear in mind when using it but its a bit annoying as when I am using it indoors with flash the light will generally be low. MF is fine when tripod mounted but for live subjects it can be tricky. Here is an extract of the admiring light website review on the lens which confirms my findings -

"However, indoors and in dimmer light, the autofocus can struggle. On both the A7 II and the a6000, I found the lens would often fail to find focus at all in dim light, leading to a full in-and out rack of focus past my desired subject. I found this to be the case both in the macro range and in more moderate portrait distances. When it does lock in, speed is slowed considerably in dimmer light. It’s a good idea to turn off exposure preview when using this lens, especially in the macro range where you will likely be shooting stopped down. This is because exposure preview on Sony cameras also stops the lens down to working aperture during focusing, which robs the sensor of much-needed light. I still had problems focusing in low light even with exposure preview turned off, but it becomes very difficult to get a lock with it on."

Im now second guessing myself with the sale of my Batis 85 which focusses great in low light

I dont think I have had my 90 on my A9 yet.... will have to try it..... at this rate though I may just get rid of it for its weight I am not sure I need it and the 100-400 is so frickin amazing It really is probably just my dedicated macro low light..... but I can use the Legacy Vivitar 1 90 2.5 for macro and the 55 1.8 for bokah so ........ Hmmmm somehow my bag is getting lighter with the A9 purchase!!!!!!

I am seriously looking at selling te 28 too so bag would be A9 / A7rII 10/21/55/100-400 and the legacy glass for macro.... get rid of the fish eye too..... wow how did I end up here.

oh yeah.....ok will try the 90 on the A9 and let you know what it does......if you care lol

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http://... flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII / A6500 (For Sale)) /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, FE28, FE 55, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish, Tam 150-600v1 (For Sale))
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Nov 07, 2017 15:13 |  #6966

eriet30 wrote in post #18491096 (external link)
oh yeah.....ok will try the 90 on the A9 and let you know what it does......if you care lol

Would love to hear how you feel it performs comparing the A7RII+FE90 and A9+FE90 in the same low light conditions. This could end up with me wanting an a9 even more than I already do :-P

x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Contax Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 07, 2017 15:45 |  #6967

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,545 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Nov 07, 2017 15:48 |  #6968

mystik610 wrote in post #18491093 (external link)
There's nothing wrong with being booked up and not being able to accommodate more clients...it means you're in demand, which is good for your reputation. What it really does is encourages people to reach out to you earlier.

If you find yourself consistently overbooked, then its time to look at your pricing, as it means you might be able to basically work less and get paid more. This means you might push some potential clients away on the basis of price, but it also means that you're focusing on a narrower segment of customers who are hiring you on the basis of quality and not cost. I actually stopped shooting for money for a while because I felt overworked and underpaid. I came to realize that a lot of people were hiring me because I was cheap, and that was the brand I had built back when I was starting out and would do anything just to land gigs. I also realized that there are people who are willing to pay for quality, and felt a certain level of confidence in my ability to deliver at that level.....that's when I revamped everything branding wise (focal points) and started charging more.

Very generally though, photography is something you genuinely have to enjoy to do it for money in the long haul...at the very least it has to feel gratifying, because when you factor in how much time is put into a job between shooting, processing, commuting, customer service stuff etc etc, it doesn't pay as well as our 'real' jobs probably do per hour. I think I've hit a nice equilibrium where I'm still having fun, am producing images I'm proud of, am being challenged to grow as a photographer, and getting paid what I think is fair. I'm physically beat sometimes, but am still in high spirits about it. It's a good place to be, but it didn't always feel that way.

Thank you Carlo for the helpful and reassuring response!

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

Miranda1
600 posts
Joined May 2005
Nov 07, 2017 16:40 |  #6969

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18491128 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=184​91128&i=i137902696
forum: Sony Cameras

Wow what an amzing place, the kind of places I really enjoy seeing/visiting.

Sony A7R2
Canon Glass: 85 1.2L Mk2, 24 TSE MK2, 90 TSE
Zeiss Glass: 15 Distagon, 21 Distagon, 25 Distagon, 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, 135 APO
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Voigtlander 35 1.2, Voigtlander Helliar 15 5.6v3, Canon 50 F0.95, Canon 90 F2 Serenar, Rokkor 58 F1.2. Rokkor 90 F4, Rokkor 35-70, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Helios 85 F1.5, Helios 44M, Zeiss Biotar 58.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Post has been edited 10 days ago by xpfloyd.
Nov 07, 2017 16:50 |  #6970

Wow - just ticked off a bucket list item! Seen a red alert for aurora and headed out in hope. Just witnessed an amazing display visible with the eyes. Hanging about still in case it picks up but photo to follow once I get home

Sneak preview

HOSTED PHOTO

x100F | α7R II

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Nov 07, 2017 16:52 |  #6971

been wanting to see since I was a kid of about 12 and watch a PBS documentary on Alaska..

I hope some day !

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Nov 07, 2017 17:18 |  #6972

that's my dream as well. to witness that in my own eyes.

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Nov 07, 2017 17:19 |  #6973

The gal who's responsible to buy me A7R3, respect. lol

HOSTED PHOTO

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 07, 2017 17:21 |  #6974

mystik610 wrote in post #18491094 (external link)
Yes I bring a backpack full of gear, but we're a whole different animal when it comes to Disney trips. i.e. my wife actually likes to take time out for photos when we go....she has her instagram reputation to maintain lol. The weight isn't too bad if you have a stroller as that's where your gear will be most of the time.

This about sums it up. My kids are 7 and 8 and we still bring the double stroller to the parks. Camera bag hangs off the back, and my cooler goes in the bottom. Normally I'll have the 1Dx, 600ex, a 24-70L, 17-40L, and a fast prime such as the 50L or 35Art. Not to mention the tripod too.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,698 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 07, 2017 17:43 |  #6975

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18491207 (external link)
This about sums it up. My kids are 7 and 8 and we still bring the double stroller to the parks. Camera bag hangs off the back, and my cooler goes in the bottom. Normally I'll have the 1Dx, 600ex, a 24-70L, 17-40L, and a fast prime such as the 50L or 35Art. Not to mention the tripod too.

lol, the stroller factor, that certainly helps bring gear.

what type of monstrosity stroller you got going there?

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links

247,021 views & 13668 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.