Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 07 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 00:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photoshop or Autopano

lewisc
Joined Nov 2014
Melbourne,Australia
Post has been edited 10 days ago by lewisc.
Nov 07, 2017 00:13 |  #1

I've just signed up for a year of Adobe CC for photographers with a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina.I typically use Bridge to organise my photos and process them and then move into Photoshop if needed.

One of the main types of photos I take are panoramas. They can sometimes be 50 images that will make up one photo. The size varies between 100mb and 2gb per file. The photo is what came out of Autopano and then I take it to photoshop to clone any areas that were missed etc.

Does anyone who uses Autopano or Photoshop have any recent experience with new versions of photoshop for processing photos like these? I've used Autopano in the past (not my license) and it worked well. I suppose I'm trying to justify spending a couple of hundred dollars on a panorama program.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D + Canon 35L 1.4
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 07, 2017 05:59 |  #2

If you shoot RAW then it well worth looking at the RAW Panorama and HDR options that can be found in Lightroom, and I would expect ACR too. I have used them for a number of images and the results have always been as good or better than I have got out of using the Ps merge options. You end up with a .DNG file of RAW data at the end, ready for processing in Lr/ACR, and possibly other RAW converters. I find it is generally quite good at dealing with objects that move in the complete image too, minimising doubling up. About the only thing you can't do is go in and directly adjust each image layer, you get what you get in that regard. One big advantage is that file sizes are actually quite small, since you are still working with RAW data, not RGB.

I think the largest pano I have done with it is a multi row combination of about 66 images.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4495/38206453132_7c88ae81d5_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21db​4qy] (external link)Avro 716 Shackleton MR.3, Handley Page Victor BK1A (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

I did one HDR/Pano of 24 three shot HDR groups which were then merged to create the panorama. Its 20234×2025 px when cropped to a rectangle, with nothing cropped off the length.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4462/38238635181_06fa2bd49b_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g2​12t] (external link)Stickledown Panorama (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

So you can see a little more detail in the image, here is a three shot merge quite short as you can see I tend to try to use at least 50% overlap on each image.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4451/38238637701_bc14378d38_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g2​1LV] (external link)Sunset over Mill Lakes (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

And the final crop.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4492/38238640411_7dd64e18d8_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/21g2​2zD] (external link)Sunset over Mill Lakes (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

I have tried Ps CS3, Ps CS5, Ps CC and Microsoft ICE as well as this new option, and find that this produces really nice merges. I haven't tried the Canon merge tool, nor have I tried any of the paid for programs. I don't shoot many panos, and many of them are shot hand held, many have been in museums where tripods are not allowed.

HTH

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Post has been edited 12 days ago by lacogada.
Nov 07, 2017 06:01 |  #3

Microsoft has a free one that many people like.

https://www.microsoft.​com ...s/image-composite-editor/ (external link)

... see Alan mentioned it ... we were typing same time.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 12 days ago by digital paradise.
Nov 07, 2017 08:43 |  #4

I just recently tried a few panos using PS and it did a very good job. I will be using it more from now on.

When I had a real estate photo gig several years ago I had to shoot 360 panos. I tested quite a few and Autopano was the only one that provided consistent good results and pretty much got it right in the first merge attempt. It was easy to use and I needed that as time was money for me.

Tech changes so much it is hard to tell how it compares to others these days. It will be able to do more stuff as it is a dedicated software. It was a strange company. They did an upgrade once and it would not except that I had a previous license. I would have had to purchase the new version for full price. Eventually I just uninstalled it as I had no interest in hobby panos. Maybe that is different now.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sidknee
Joined Mar 2010
South Gloucestershire, UK
Nov 07, 2017 09:49 |  #5

Try hugin, it's free and very good

http://hugin.sourcefor​ge.net/ (external link)

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro EF, 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

lewisc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Melbourne,Australia
Nov 07, 2017 20:15 |  #6

Cool. I’ll keep playing around with ACR and photoshop. The one thing I remember from autopano was the option to batch out panoramas. I could set it and it would identify the folders with photos and process them.

That’s probably the one feature which would be most handy.

Hugin looks interesting - I’ll give it a go.

Canon 6D + Canon 35L 1.4
flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Nov 08, 2017 07:20 |  #7

I have tested autopano, ptgui and PS. In the new CC, PS far outperforms all of the older, go-to apps for panos. IMHO, because PS now does panos so well, the old days of depending on a 3rd party dedicated-purpose app are gone.

I recently had an occasion to upgrade my older PTgui. But before upgrading, I wrote support, told them of my experiences with PS, and asked if they now had similar features such as PS's fill. I was nice. They responded. They were nice. However, the overall tone I got from them was they knew they were beaten. They didn't even try to sell me on the upgrade. They simply wished me the best and hoped I enjoyed PS.

You've already subscribed to CC. Save the bucks. Use the fantastic pano app therein.

Website (external link) |

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 08, 2017 08:21 |  #8

I've always had good success with Ps assuming I set the shots up halfway decent. Since Lr has been able to stitch panos I've had excellent success with that as well... with the added benefit that it remains a raw file (DNG) and you are able to edit parametric just like any other raw file. To me that puts Lr at the front on panoramas.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 08, 2017 09:19 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18491665 (external link)
I have tested autopano, ptgui and PS. In the new CC, PS far outperforms all of the older, go-to apps for panos. IMHO, because PS now does panos so well, the old days of depending on a 3rd party dedicated-purpose app are gone.

I recently had an occasion to upgrade my older PTgui. But before upgrading, I wrote support, told them of my experiences with PS, and asked if they now had similar features such as PS's fill. I was nice. They responded. They were nice. However, the overall tone I got from them was they knew they were beaten. They didn't even try to sell me on the upgrade. They simply wished me the best and hoped I enjoyed PS.

You've already subscribed to CC. Save the bucks. Use the fantastic pano app therein.

When I tried a few panos recently PS did a good job compared to 5 years ago. A few things I learned. Take the polarizer off and use manual exposure if you can. I shot with aperture priority but I was just in exploratory phase.

Tripod helps but handheld will do it. I may look into a pano head if I can get a cheap one. Not sure if the OP knows about parallax. The video shows how to correct for it with a pano head.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=1jAhwFLimM0 (external link)

The more you put in up front the better the results and there is less cropping outer edges later.

Image Editing OK

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,394 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 11 days ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 09:54 |  #10

The panos you are trying to stitch will likely affect the choice of application. You cannot make 360 spherical panoramas (equirectangular) in PS or ACR or LR. If the overall FOV of your scene is relatively small, and parallax is not an issue, then PS/ACR/LR will work fine. Based on the example images posted so far, this seems to be the case.

If you need to control the stitching process at all in PS, you will need to load the pano images as layers in PS, approximately align them by hand and then select all of the layers and use align layers and blend layers to nudge PS toward the solution. It is a hit-or-miss process.

Being able to access the control points and distortion correction controls in a program like Autopano, PTGui, Hugin (they are all basically the same) will permit better control over the stitch, especially with zenith and nadir images.

PSCC 2018 has a very simplistic control for loading an equirectangular panoramic image into a spherical projection in the 3D workspace, where you can make edits while orbiting around the projection sphere. You can export the pano with pano tags for applications like Facebook, so the exported pano is loaded by the pano viewer in FB.

kirk

Kirk
---

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Nov 12, 2017 10:05 as a reply to lewisc's post |  #11

Do yourself a favor and download Microsoft ICE. Its Free.

lewisc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Melbourne,Australia
Nov 13, 2017 02:14 |  #12

If I used Windows for photos, I'd be all over it.

I've been playing around with Bridge (I should play with Lightroom at some point but it's easier to go with what I know for now) today and discovered the following.

I imported some photos from yesterday afternoon in to my folder and went to group the photos as a stack. I came across the button that said Auto Stack Panorama/HDR. I clicked it assuming that it would arrange the photos as the panorama. After a minute, all of the panoramas had been sorted within in Bridge.

It should be a handy feature to help organise the photos. I'll probably just stick with ACR and Photoshop at this point. It seems to be coping with what I'm throwing at it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D + Canon 35L 1.4
flickr (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 13, 2017 09:07 |  #13

lewisc wrote in post #18495170 (external link)

I've been playing around with Bridge (I should play with Lightroom at some point but it's easier to go with what I know for now) today and discovered the following.

I imported some photos from yesterday afternoon in to my folder and went to group the photos as a stack. I came across the button that said Auto Stack Panorama/HDR. I clicked it assuming that it would arrange the photos as the panorama. After a minute, all of the panoramas had been sorted within in Bridge.

It should be a handy feature to help organise the photos. I'll probably just stick with ACR and Photoshop at this point. It seems to be coping with what I'm throwing at it.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by lewisc in
./showthread.php?p=184​95170&i=i101270116
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing
./showthread.php?p=184​95170&i=i164436577

If you select all of your files to produce the pano and then open them in ACR, again selecting all of the required images within ACR you can either right click and get the context menu, and select merge to panorama, or just use Ctrl(Cmd)+M and you will begin the merge to panorama process. Since what you get will be a RAW file, Since you will be creating a new RAW file from the images you don't have to worry about editing the images first. The only thing that you need to set for each image is the lens corrections. So if you have a lens profile apply that to the images first. That's because you have to make those corrections before you merge the images.

I haven't run this in ACR, since I usually use Lr, but the results will be the same since it is the same processing code running, just a different interface. Iposted examples from this earlier in the thread.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 13, 2017 09:10 |  #14

BigAl007 wrote in post #18495322 (external link)
If you select all of your files to produce the pano and then open them in ACR, again selecting all of the required images within ACR you can either right click and get the context menu, and select merge to panorama, or just use Ctrl(Cmd)+M and you will begin the merge to panorama process. Since what you get will be a RAW file, Since you will be creating a new RAW file from the images you don't have to worry about editing the images first. The only thing that you need to set for each image is the lens corrections. So if you have a lens profile apply that to the images first. That's because you have to make those corrections before you merge the images.

I haven't run this in ACR, since I usually use Lr, but the results will be the same since it is the same processing code running, just a different interface. Iposted examples from this earlier in the thread.

Alan

To me that's the magic of a ACR/Lr workflow. You end up with a RAW image (DNG format) to edit in the end. Far far easier than getting individual images looking like you think you need them too..only to find out you should have done something a little different with one of them before merging.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 13, 2017 11:31 |  #15

lewisc wrote in post #18495170 (external link)

./showthread.php?p=184​95170&i=i101270116
./showthread.php?p=184​95170&i=i164436577

I tried Bridge once but never liked it. Now that I have LR CC Classic I may have to try it.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

887 views & 1 like for this thread
Photoshop or Autopano
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.