Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 08, 2017 17:51 |  #7051

TRhoads wrote in post #18492161 (external link)
Hey Gene, its a couple of my best friends...one I have known since high school, the other since freshman year in college...we do little guys trips when we can, and it had been 2 years...if you wanted to make the trek out, I am sure that no one would object. Its not a workshop...this year...but next year, I intend to make it one. Part of the reason for the trip.

OK, as long as I wouldn't be intruding, perhaps I could meet you guys someplace and go from there. Maybe you could pm me a date, time and place?

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 08, 2017 17:55 |  #7052

Charlie wrote in post #18492168 (external link)
lol, this is why I tend to shoot local  :p

I dont feel like I lack amazing places, I just lack time to shoot without kids kicking my tripod legs or touching my lens elements ;-)a

It's been years since I've been out your way but that used to be my old stomping grounds. My dad was born on a ranch in Compton (1910) and I was born in Huntington Park so I know the area well...or at least I used to. I also lived and worked in Rolling Hills, Torrance, Redondo Beach and San Pedro. I was raised in Bell Gardens and my first house I bought was in Buena Park. :lol:

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 08, 2017 18:12 |  #7053

I dont feel like I lack amazing places, I just lack time to shoot without kids kicking my tripod legs or touching my lens elements ;-)a

Yeah, I can definitely relate. I lived on the boarder of JTNP for two years and hardly shot in there because it was too much work to keep an eye on the kids (who loved to climb on the rocks) and try and shoot. I find taking them to the beach to shoot sunsets infinitely easier.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 08, 2017 18:30 as a reply to post 18492079 |  #7054

I'm geo challenged but it depends on where on the globe you are whether Milky Way season is over.
I think the KiWis get Milky Way, e.g. the core, access 9-10 months a year? Hopefully someone in NZ or OZ will
set me straight...probably same in s Africa too.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 08, 2017 18:32 as a reply to post 18492132 |  #7055

Jumbo Rocks man all the way. Mojave is another special place.....Death Valley? The list is
long in Kali.

flickr (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Post has been edited 14 days ago by vinmunoz.
Nov 08, 2017 18:42 |  #7056

One day I talked about my 85GM not establishing a contact to the body. I have to twist it a bit harder to establish contact. The last time I used it with my A6000 not only it's hard to establish, it started to not focus anymore.

Sent it in to Precision Camera via the Pro Support. Last Tuesday I received a call. the guy said the technicians cannot duplicate the problem that i mentioned. They suggested that I have to send my body. First of all my R2 is already in the hands of another new convert from Canon(Thank me Sony), secondly I told them I have other lenses too and there's no problem at all so I strongly assumed that it's not the body. I told them I also have an A6000 and it's giving me the same problem. So it's not the R2.

On the bright side, I requested today an 85GM loaner and guess what, I should receive it tomorrow. yah they overnight it for free and 11-days loaner for free.

The Sony Pro Support is awesome.

VINZ - SONY A7RII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE3514 | FE1635F4 |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 08, 2017 18:56 |  #7057

vinmunoz wrote in post #18492206 (external link)
One day I talked about my 85GM not establishing a contact to the body. I have to twist it a bit harder to establish contact. The last time I used it with my A6000 not only it's hard to establish, it started to not focus anymore.

Sent it in to Precision Camera via the Pro Support. Last Tuesday I received a call. the guy said the technicians cannot duplicate the problem that i mentioned. They suggested that I have to send my body. First of all my R2 is already in the hands of another new convert from Canon(Thank me Sony), secondly I told them I have other lenses too and there's no problem at all so I strongly assumed that it's not the body. I told them I also have an A6000 and it's giving me the same problem. So it's not the R2.

On the bright side, I requested today an 85GM loaner and guess what, I should receive it tomorrow. yah they overnight it for free and 11-days loaner for free.

The Sony Pro Support is awesome.

so you have Pro Support with an a6000 and the r2 that is sold now...what lenses? I thought it was 2 FF bodies and 3 lenses...

the r2 sensor gets a much needed cleaning tomorrow by our local one man shop who is a master at cleaning sensors...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Nov 08, 2017 18:56 |  #7058

once my 85GM is fixed, i will observe it for a couple of weeks, once the problem won't show up again, I'm selling it. yah i don't wanna sell a broken lens.

I'm torn between the Batis and the Sony 85.

INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
California
Post has been edited 14 days ago by vinmunoz.
Nov 08, 2017 19:00 |  #7059

TRhoads wrote in post #18492221 (external link)
so you have Pro Support with an a6000 and the r2 that is sold now...what lenses? I thought it was 2 FF bodies and 3 lenses...

the r2 sensor gets a much needed cleaning tomorrow by our local one man shop who is a master at cleaning sensors...

I pre-ordered the R3 so that covers the R2. yah it's suppose to be 2 fullframes but I applied anyway since i also have lenses and a couple of sony actioncam so they approved my application. At the time of application I have 2 GMs.

i'm cleaning my own sensor. it's really easy if you have the right tool but if your local store is cheap then i would have it professionally clean. The local store that cleans sensors closed down so i was forced to do it my own with the help of recommendations from our brothers here.

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Nov 08, 2017 20:22 |  #7060

vinmunoz wrote in post #18492228 (external link)
I pre-ordered the R3 so that covers the R2. yah it's suppose to be 2 fullframes but I applied anyway since i also have lenses and a couple of sony actioncam so they approved my application. At the time of application I have 2 GMs.

i'm cleaning my own sensor. it's really easy if you have the right tool but if your local store is cheap then i would have it professionally clean. The local store that cleans sensors closed down so i was forced to do it my own with the help of recommendations from our brothers here.

was only asking, because I was looking into it...and don't have the lenses...at least I don't think Zeiss Batis Lenses count, since it said Sony...would be nice to have it be serviced from time to time...

yeah, I am not cleaning a sensor...too many things I would do wrong and ruin my investment...I leave stuff like that to people who are professionals and who are insured!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 08, 2017 21:30 as a reply to TRhoads's post |  #7061

I guess you mean wet clean.
So why have I the hillbilly been wet cleaning the sensors on my Sonys forever without a whim?
I did make sure my last order of cleaner---recommended by Brian Smith----was Aero Eclipse.
I've determined the in-camera shake clean is very hit-n-miss. The Rocket blower maybe 30 percent
effective, then the Arctic Butterfly which always surprises me how effective it is. The liquid last resort
of course.

flickr (external link)

gaabnz
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 08, 2017 21:55 |  #7062

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18492195 (external link)
I'm geo challenged but it depends on where on the globe you are whether Milky Way season is over.
I think the KiWis get Milky Way, e.g. the core, access 9-10 months a year? Hopefully someone in NZ or OZ will
set me straight...probably same in s Africa too.

Down here in Auckland, NZ we get it from about mid Feb to about now.

Did our final shoot of the year on Monday and it was very low in the west and quite faint now, but still visible. Weather has been terrible so limited out chances :(

Sony A7mkii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / 24-105F4L / 70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro / Samyang 24mm f1.4 / Samyang 14mm f2.8 / Sony a6000

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,885 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Nov 08, 2017 22:03 |  #7063

vinmunoz wrote in post #18492228 (external link)

TRhoads wrote in post #18492300 (external link)
was only asking, because I was looking into it...and don't have the lenses...at least I don't think Zeiss Batis Lenses count, since it said Sony...would be nice to have it be serviced from time to time...

yeah, I am not cleaning a sensor...too many things I would do wrong and ruin my investment...I leave stuff like that to people who are professionals and who are insured!

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18492320 (external link)
I guess you mean wet clean.
So why have I the hillbilly been wet cleaning the sensors on my Sonys forever without a whim?
I did make sure my last order of cleaner---recommended by Brian Smith----was Aero Eclipse.
I've determined the in-camera shake clean is very hit-n-miss. The Rocket blower maybe 30 percent
effective, then the Arctic Butterfly which always surprises me how effective it is. The liquid last resort
of course.

Don't forget if your Sony camera has IBIS, be sure to use the sensor cleaning mode found in the menu (toolbox, tab 3) to clean the sensor first as that will lock the sensor so it won't move while you're cleaning it.

This video which I've set to start at the 15min 50 sec mark describes that. Oh, I use the Ulead sticky pad for Sony sensors (the orange one).

https://www.ebay.com ...71?_trksid=p2047675​.l2644 (external link)

The video:

https://youtu.be/JS1t7​JcAt9w?t=15m50s (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Nov 08, 2017 22:17 as a reply to navydoc's post |  #7064

On top of that Gene.
On the sticky sticks I have the orange but never the nerve to try it :(

Well it can't always be bugs and birds :)
First with the 35/1.8 SEL. Glad I kept it from the NEX days.
Second last day Matthew's Arm was open this year in Shenandoah NP. You can't tell but the fog was so thick you
could readily see the vehicle in the background AND it was dark. I used 'handheld twilight' and was amazed at the RX10iv.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Nov 08, 2017 22:33 |  #7065

Love that attitude Charlie!

For that to work for me I have to think regional, because other than a very nice lake, there isn’t much here in my locale. And finding neat images in unlikely places is a thing I take special pleasure in. But, I imagine it nets out about the same in terms of a time commitmemt: I like to find interesting things within a 2-hour drive if possible.

David | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

257,779 views & 14179 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.