Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

elv
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Nov 05, 2017 21:20 |  #1366

inkista wrote in post #18489568 (external link)
Just tried it with X100T (set to use an external speedlight on the hotshoe and mechanical shutter), and didn't fire at all. Hilariously, power settings changes on the app are communicated to the flash and TEST on the app fired the TT685C. Just no sync.

Ok thanks. So the APP mode is not working with everything then either.

I was just thinking about this, and the APP mode couldn't be single firing pin anyway because the HSS function still works.

So what we basically need is a separate single firing pin mode, allowing remote power (& Zoom etc) control.

And a single firing pin APP mode (added to the "SHOOT" custom function).

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

sponsored links
inkista
485 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by inkista. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 05, 2017 23:25 |  #1367

elv wrote in post #18489587 (external link)
Ok thanks. So the APP mode is not working with everything then either.

Well, except....

I just tested it on my Panasonic GX7. And on that camera, the XPro-C seems to work reliably as a single-pin manual-only w/power control trigger. And using APP mode also works as manual-only w/power control. The iOS app is able to control the light either directly or through the XPro.

So, maybe it's just the X100T hotshoe? The X1T-F v03 update added X100T/X100F "HSS" compatibility (not really HSS, as it maxes out at 1/1250s, but then leaf shutters don't really work with HSS), so there may be something weirdly variant about the leaf-shutter Fuji hotshoes.

BTW, while testing with the X100T, something got seriously banjaxed in the RF communication. The A1 and TT600 cleared themselves of the issue by turning them off and back on, but the TT685C did not. It only listened to XPro explicit settings (the ones I put in before going to APP mode were retained) and taking the XPro out of APP and turning it off couldn't get the TT685C to listen to the A1/app, despite resetting everything (phone, A1, TT685, XPro-C). Whatever bizarre state it was in didn't get cleared until I put it into RF slave mode to the TT350-O and fired it as slave a few times. I suspect that since the MFT and Fuji hotshoes have contact/pin patterns that match Canon's, some signal combination happened that was...unexpected and completely fubared for a Canon flash foot.

I was just thinking about this, and the APP mode couldn't be single firing pin anyway because the HSS function still works.

It does? How do you set HSS? I just assumed it didn't, because the iOS app doesn't have any place to set it, and once the XProC is in APP mode, you can't use it to make any setting changes.

So what we basically need is a separate single firing pin mode, allowing remote power (& Zoom etc) control.

And a single firing pin APP mode (added to the "SHOOT" custom function).

...not to mention some sub-$20 manual-only receivers in the X system. [grin]. Some folks would probably like to add in legacy manual-only lights (e.g., an Einstein), but getting a $40 full-on TTL/HSS X1R to do so seems like a waste. Something like an XTR16/XTR16s, (but without the power control dial) that has a hotshoe and a sync port output to cable to a light would be nice.

Also, apropos of nothing, I finally realized that the A1 actually has a strong magnet on the back [facepalm]. Yes, I'm that slow. It is now stuck to my fridge, because I keep forgetting where I put it. :-D

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Nov 06, 2017 01:14 |  #1368

inkista wrote in post #18489637 (external link)
It does? How do you set HSS? I just assumed it didn't, because the iOS app doesn't have any place to set it, and once the XProC is in APP mode, you can't use it to make any setting changes.

Ok thanks.

In APP mode everything is disabled except for the SYNC and CH selection. So you can still select HSS, and SCS on the transmitter.

inkista wrote in post #18489637 (external link)
...not to mention some sub-$20 manual-only receivers in the X system. [grin].

Yes, I'm sure Godox are well aware of this. Though call me cynical, but its been to their advantage that even the X1 receivers do not work as well as purchasing their own strobes with radio built-in for example.

Sometimes they are intentionally only providing the higher priced options (no Manual version AD200 or 360II for example), and other times they are intentionally cutting margins very fine to produce competitive options. So its hard to know when they will want to go one way or the other. At this stage I would think they are making the most of the X1 receivers while they can.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

inkista
485 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Nov 06, 2017 14:10 |  #1369

elv wrote in post #18489655 (external link)
... In APP mode everything is disabled except for the SYNC and CH selection. So you can still select HSS, and SCS on the transmitter.

Oh, cool! Thanks!!

... call me cynical, but it's been to their advantage that even the X1 receivers do not work as well as purchasing their own strobes with radio built-in for example.

Cynical or not, I've had the exact same thought. The fact that it took over a year for the Sony X1R to arrive after the X1T-S was released had not escaped my notice. Terrific way to sell some speedlights.

...Sometimes they are intentionally only providing the higher priced options (no Manual version AD200 or 360II for example), and other times they are intentionally cutting margins very fine to produce competitive options. So it's hard to know when they will want to go one way or the other. At this stage I would think they are making the most of the X1 receivers while they can.

I also suspect this may be a reason why they haven't added the feature of using a Tx unit as a simultaneous Rx for shutter release and Tx for flashes, such as the Yongnuo options, because it means selling an additional unit. What they don't realize is that we'll just get a pair of RF-603IIs for the shutter release duty instead. :mrgreen:

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

SereneSpeed
708 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Nov 06, 2017 19:08 |  #1370

The X Pro-c is much smaller than I expected. A nice surprise.

http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dmwbphotography (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/danielmwbuehle​r (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Nov 07, 2017 03:01 |  #1371

Received my X-Pro C and it looks really nice and I had a quick browse and try.

Points to be improved:

- the cover of the USB-C and Sync connector is really flimsy and does not stays closed so I have to put a piece of tape over it to keep it close
- minimal selectable value of flash power is now 1/256 and 1/128 and my Canon 430EX goes only back to 1/64 so if I go lower it stops working

Point that pleases me:

- the focus laser light has an closer pattern, at least that seem to me, which gives a better coverage in the centre
- the group buttons a working well but could be space a bit wider and it could be even be wider than the alignment with the text on the screen
- nice feel of the trigger and excellent left-hand control due to the sleek design and angle so the thumb can reach all the buttons (righthand is holding the camera)

Hope to test the interface soon and have some more positive feedback.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

lonerider519
Joined Feb 2013
Windsor Ontario
Nov 08, 2017 17:41 as a reply to post 18488204 |  #1372

Great idea but how is the arm attached to the tripod ?

Canon 7D Mark2 gripped,Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60d gripped,EF 70/200 F2.8 L IS 11 USM EF-100-400 F4-5.6L IS II EF 50 f1.8 ,EF 100 2.8 usm ,EFS18-135, EF 24-105 F4 L usm ,Tamron 70-300 SP 4_5.6 Sigma 150-500 , Manfrotto 190x prob with a Jobu jr.3 , Manfrotto 681b monopod. flickr (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Nov 09, 2017 04:54 as a reply to lonerider519's post |  #1373

Screwed or clamped to the top of tripod. There seems to a screw in hole or mount.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

sponsored links

240,716 views & 357 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.